BYE BYE SIR ALEX FERGUSON!

HassanZ

I've been going to Old Trafford since 1972. Seen um go down and come back. Seen a few managers too. Whoever you support in football or how partisan you are, no one can deny his greatness. No one can deny you've seen some attacking, entertaining football again all the sides. If you've been there you know the games would have been poorer for the lack of that.

The teams he has built and rebuilt, a mark of a brilliant, true football legend.

To all, be magnanimous and honest. The game would not have been the same without him.

Respect and gratitude for the years, service, up's, downs and pure entertainment. Good luck to him.

• Like 1

I never expected this, would have thought he would have passed away on the sideline one day. I am not a MU fan but he has got to be one of the most successful managers of all time and I doubt anyone will match or better his career in my lifetime.

I also agree that MU may well suffer for this in the short term...

A true legend, he built the best team in the country and at times in Europe over and over again.

Talk about knowing when to go, the whole spine of the team is getting close to the end of its shelf life (Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Carrick, Giggs, Scholes, Nani) and I am not sure the younger players are of the high standard needed to replace them.

They will need to spend £100M's to stay at the top and buying is always a gamble....

I'm also pretty sure he will keep his hand in and his shadow will hang over whoever takes over, not sure they will get the time that he did when he started out, we will see

• Like 1

He deserves respect for the trophy haul, I won't be shedding any tears when he's gone mind. I also won't miss the sycophantic hacks banging on about the "mind games" either. I don't think moaning about 50/50 decisions for days after/before a match is mind games. He was also suspiciously quiet on the darkest day in English football, The Pedro Mendes Debacle (not that I'm STILL bitter about that particular contrived piece of fawning linesmanship).

People forget that he's also signed some total shaffle: Taibi, van Der Gouw, Bellion, Djemba-Djemba, Bosnich, Kleberson, Nani, Cruyff, Forlan, Anderson, Fortune, May, I'm sure there are more but I can't be bothered to google. Many of his decent signings have been big money players anyone could have identified, Ronaldo, Nistlehorse, Berbatov, Van Persie, Stam, Carrick, Vidic, Ferdinand, again I'm sure there are more.

His strop with the Irish fellas about a load of horse jizz has assisted the Glazers in pumping millions out of the club at the same time as mortgaging it up to it's eyeballs.

I begrudgingly admit he's done an impressive job, even considering that for many of his years Utd had the deepest pockets in English football (the pre-Abramovich era) - when all of a sudden it became shameful to have loads of cash to spend on players and there was "no value" to be had in the market.

David Moyes to replace Sir Alex

Very brave man (although probably already very well rewarded financially) as that will be a nigh on impossible task to take on and to achieve anywhere near what has already been achieved. I just can't see how MU will maintain there present form...

Edited by Yampiedog

He deserves respect for the trophy haul, I won't be shedding any tears when he's gone mind. I also won't miss the sycophantic hacks banging on about the "mind games" either. I don't think moaning about 50/50 decisions for days after/before a match is mind games. He was also suspiciously quiet on the darkest day in English football, The Pedro Mendes Debacle (not that I'm STILL bitter about that particular contrived piece of fawning linesmanship).

People forget that he's also signed some total shaffle: Taibi, van Der Gouw, Bellion, Djemba-Djemba, Bosnich, Kleberson, Nani, Cruyff, Forlan, Anderson, Fortune, May, I'm sure there are more but I can't be bothered to google. Many of his decent signings have been big money players anyone could have identified, Ronaldo, Nistlehorse, Berbatov, Van Persie, Stam, Carrick, Vidic, Ferdinand, again I'm sure there are more.

His strop with the Irish fellas about a load of horse jizz has assisted the Glazers in pumping millions out of the club at the same time as mortgaging it up to it's eyeballs.

I begrudgingly admit he's done an impressive job, even considering that for many of his years Utd had the deepest pockets in English football (the pre-Abramovich era) - when all of a sudden it became shameful to have loads of cash to spend on players and there was "no value" to be had in the market.

He's sure been amazingly successful but let's look at some of the facts. Man Utd were hardly in dire straits when Fergy took over, in the previous 3 seasons they'd finished 4th, 4th and 4th, so the building blocks were in place....they were the best supported club in England, had been since the Munich disaster and had a very high international profile and of course loads of money. Fergy was really the final piece in the jigsaw. What Mat Busby did at Man Utd was to build 2 teams both from scratch, he didn't have the luxury of replacing a couple of players at a time he rebuilt from nothing. Now let's look at the other great managers, 4 of them in my mind, Revie, Clough, Shankly and Paisley. Clough on a shoestring budget won the European Cup 2 years running with what was basically a team of rejects (apart from Trevor Francis) and went 42 league games without defeat He also won the league with Derby County with a bunch of journeymen so I rate him very highly. When Shankly arrived at Liverpool they'd been languishing in Division 2 for many years and their support was limited to Merseyside. What Shankly did was to rebuild what was in effect a club in decline and turned them into a famous club with supporters all over the world. He didn't have tons of money to work with and in those days you couldn't bring in foreign players but the players he did bring in were shrewd buys, bought cheaply. Very similar to Revie really as Leeds were in an even more difficult position than Liverpool. Revie and Leeds never really got the respect they deserved. Bob Paisley was numerically second only to Fergy in the number of trophies won, but he inherited a great team so he had it fairly easy as he'd worked under Shankly for many years.

Sadly, there'll probably never be another Clough or Shankly guiding an unheralded club to Champions league finals, unless they can find a fairy godfather like Chelsea or a foreign investment company. I'm not belittling Ferguson's record, as I've said quite astounding, but even a rubbish manager like Atkinson didn't do too bad at United.

Pete

• Like 1

Whilst I understand some of your feelings. I would also like to disagree with your deepest pocket idea.

Premiership big spenders to buy titles will only get you so far before you need a quality manager to create a dynasty.

Chelsea over a billion to date spent 3 titles, never 3 on the trot.

Man city £930,000,000 1 title. Mmmmm. Lets think about that one!!!

Man U not even close £430,000,000. 13 titles.

Yes some players didn't make the grade, but they were given a chance on the biggest stage. They didn't make it elsewhere either, although Forlan did quite well.

This Manager deserves respect. I remember the famous quote from a so called hack "You'll never win anything with kids" arguably the best team of the ones SAF build and in real terms, cost next to nothing and they took the league apart with entertaining, attacking football.

If you want to know who spent the most cash? Blackburn one point 3 billion. 1 Title and the bankruptcy of their backers.

Case rested.

Whilst I understand some of your feelings. I would also like to disagree with your deepest pocket idea.

Premiership big spenders to buy titles will only get you so far before you need a quality manager to create a dynasty.

Yes some players didn't make the grade, but they were given a chance on the biggest stage. They didn't make it elsewhere either, although Forlan did quite well.

This Manager deserves respect. I remember the famous quote from a so called hack "You'll never win anything with kids" arguably the best team of the ones SAF build and in real terms, cost next to nothing and they took the league apart with entertaining, attacking football.

If you want to know who spent the most cash? Blackburn one point 3 billion. 1 Title and the bankruptcy of their backers.

Case rested.

I'd love to see where Blackburn spent 1.3 billion as jack walker was worth about 700 million so where did the rest come from? I'm sorry but rovers have never spent like man city or Chelsea have, we spent in the early nineties but all the way through the noughties our biggest spend was I think 9 mill on Andy cole, and since 2002 our club was run on a shoe string budget through good scouting and a solid board of directors

In reality rovers have spent £87 million, 16th biggest spender. Below Birmingham city

Edited by 350 Russ

Case rested.

Fair point, and I agree, but what I was driving at is they were the big spenders pre-Abramovich when most of the titles rolled in, they were thinner on the ground when the money was elsewhere. He did have a golden generation too, how much of that was him and not thier youth scouts I personally don't know. Hansen talks a lot, says not much, and what he does say is usually golf club chit chat with Lineker, he makes Gary Neville seem like Brian Clough.

Really?... Spent more than Man City and Utd combined... What on? I don't know where you got that stat from, but that surely can't be right?

• Like 1

What I know about football is dangerous, but the board at Man Utd have made their choice. Time will tell if they made the right decision or not.

I wonder where Rooney will end up going?

Case rested.

I'd love to see where Blackburn spent 1.3 billion as jack walker was worth about 700 million so where did the rest come from? I'm sorry but rovers have never spent like man city or Chelsea have, we spent in the early nineties but all the way through the noughties our biggest spend was I think 9 mill on Andy cole, and since 2002 our club was run on a shoe string budget through good scouting and a solid board of directors

In reality rovers have spent £87 million, 16th biggest spender. Below Birmingham city

Sorry, you're right misread that on wiki answers. :-) Blackburn spent the most in one season. Apologies.

The rest was right.

Rooney is too good to be playing in every other match. If Moyes won't guarantee him the football he craves, then he might as well go elsewhere. I would.

Thing is, who can afford his wages? Chelsea & Man City in the PL, but that's it. Abroad you have RM or one of the Milan teams, or BM if Pep fancies him which is unlikely. I can't see him moving until his contract expires.