Z FEELS SLOW!!!!

boosts

Hi I have a 2005 JDM FairladyZ auto roadster...so its the slowest one out there!!

I have no issues at all with speed/power, assuming you have gearbox switch in power mode? this should allow auto box to work as well as it can and also let you ( in Tiptronic mode hold gears long into corners without changing) It will eventually change gear for you if you hit limiter or just before (6500 rpm I believe). I previously had a Corvette with similar power/weight and yes my JDM does "feel" slower, but its actually not that far off. I believe that the torque curve on a Z is virtually linear whereas on most other cars its not and you feel a surge at higher revs where a Z pulls all the way.

I have read ( American Z Forums ) that its believed over there that a AutoZ in a pro driver is as quick as "normal" driver in a manual ( to do with gear change speeds)

I stand to be corrected here but in no way is an auto Z much slower ( 1/2 to 3/4 second??) than a manual to 60MP( using the same engine that is 280 BHP)

Manual cars with above 280 BHP are quicker but thats not a true comparison.

Anyone in Norwich area willing "drag" me to 60? ( same BHP obviously) I would be happy to see what happens!!

JohnUKVetteNut

Acceleration (0-60) is more to do with torque than power

just sayin'

I've found with Scoobies that they feel very quick, partly because they're so light compared to what you'd expect, with doors made of tin-foil etc. The Z is a much more solid car so a lot of it could just be down to perceived speed - the same way a Caterham feels like you're going to break orbit when you're only doing 40.

But best bet is pop to a meet and have someone else check it out to confirm your suspicions or stick it on the dyno - but that's probably OTT if all you need is a second opinion from another owner.

Edited by TheMacDaddy

You obviously didn't do a lot of research because £6500 for an auto 2003 JDM is a bit much unless it is in fantastic shape, which from your comments it doesn't sound like it is....

As said come to a meet, or just open your window and shout I am sure someone will hear you :thumbs:

• Like 1

Acceleration (0-60) is more to do with torque than power

just sayin'

interestingly, as power went up in Zed development, torque came down (marginally)

Now your arguing with yourself :lol:

How ?

I had an auto before my current car and it felt just as quick as the manual.

I would say that because it's a normally aspirated engine and the power delivery is very linear, you will be going quicker than the Scooby but it will feel more pedestrian as there's no sudden torque improvement.

I would say that because it's a normally aspirated engine and the power delivery is very linear, you will be going quicker than the Scooby but it will feel more pedestrian as there's no sudden torque improvement.

Nail + head = answer :thumbs:

• Like 3

Nail + head = answer :thumbs:

These guys hold the answer. Have you checked the speedo to see if its actually slow or just feels slow? The Scooby is lightweight and has a turbo so all the power comes in a big chunk and stays there. The 350z is a lovely NA engine and power/torque is very smooth?

as everyone else has said the 350z isn't for 0-60 its for cruising around and effortless driving. Saying that it does not sit still and you can have fun in it..

Depending on which Impreza we're talking about, they're not necessarily light cars. Certainly anything bugeye and onwards weighs about 1500kg, it's only the early cars that were about 1200kg.

Are they really that heavy? I thought later ones where 1400kg and the previous where 1200kg only! shocked that they're that heavy considering the 350z is what 1550kg or a little lighter? never really looked in to them though! I still think the feel of the turbo would make a difference as peak the torque comes in at once really or over a short period of RPM.

^^-- haha don't start this :)

Edited by adam1942