1st - 2nd gear change

kershaw-350z

i drive a 2008 hr engin 350z its just done 40000 miles and i am just about to replace the flywheel and clutch because of problems ive been having but also i have noticed 90% of the time when i change from 1st to 2nd gear i get a clicking/clunking

metal on metal noise but it isnt realy that loud but i does happen almost every time now and is getting quite concerning but i can select 2nd smoothly if i change down from 3rd to second its fine nice and smooth and lovley also if i go from 1st threw to second but threw neutral it all smooth as well.. any ideas on what this could be? could it just be a selector problem or do you guys recon i may need a new box? if so what sort of price is a new box? or could it be somthing simple that can be rectified when i have the box off to do my clutch and fly?

Many thanx Alex

i drive a 2008 hr engin 350z its just done 40000 miles and i am just about to replace the flywheel and clutch because of problems ive been having but also i have noticed 90% of the time when i change from 1st to 2nd gear i get a clicking/clunking

metal on metal noise but it isnt realy that loud but i does happen almost every time now and is getting quite concerning but i can select 2nd smoothly if i change down from 3rd to second its fine nice and smooth and lovley also if i go from 1st threw to second but threw neutral it all smooth as well.. any ideas on what this could be? could it just be a selector problem or do you guys recon i may need a new box? if so what sort of price is a new box? or could it be somthing simple that can be rectified when i have the box off to do my clutch and fly?

Many thanx Alex

Crunching / Clicking from 1st to 2nd is pretty normal as far as I'm aware. It's a fairly noisy transmission, but a gearbox oil change with some molyslip may help? :pmzmanalex: for these.

I highly doubt it will be a gearbox issue (Or that you will notice any difference with a new clutch). It could be something to do with the synchro's, but you'd be much more likely to be getting problems in other gears... 5th I believe is usually a problem with Zeds.

These are based on other threads and opinions that I have read.

Use the search function, this comes up a LOT ;)

Go slow from 1st to 2nd.

ie: 1st - N - 2nd - don't just ram it into 2nd basically, especially from cold - put genuine nissan g'box oil in there and maybe as suggested molyslip.

I also have to take care going from 6th to 5th sometimes.

Go slow from 1st to 2nd.

ie: 1st - N - 2nd - don't just ram it into 2nd basically, especially from cold - put genuine nissan g'box oil in there and maybe as suggested molyslip.

I'm the same, 1st to 2nd improves when the car is warm though.

Yep I have it too. Seems like the whole drivetrain in there is fairly poorly designed :(

If you were considering a new box, you would be looking at around £900 all in including you paying to get it fitted at a garage and getting the box from one of our friendly traders.

Go slow from 1st to 2nd.

I'm the same, 1st to 2nd improves when the car is warm though.

+1 i get this too from cold especially if i haven't used her for a while, fine once warm

sorry did try and search the forum but couldnt realy find anything manily to do with 5th gear problems ...so it seams i have nothing to worrie about well that has put my mind to rest a little bit i have just had the p3 service done but when i get my clutch and fly done i will get them to put in some genuine nissan oil and some addative for me because i when i had the service done i doubt they used genuine nissan stuff because i had it done at my local garage (never take my car to the stealers anymore their all monkeys) just means zmanalex is going to love me now got quite a big order now

thanks for the help guys

Edited by kershaw-350z

Around town you have to nurse 1st to 2nd as it doesnt like it that much at low rpm's. If its doing it at all rpms then get some molyslip its really good stuff. Think its just one of those things as my old Integra was exactly the same around town.

Depending on other issues mind you but 1st - 2nd gear is always a bit...rough, especially when cold. Always take care with it when setting off. And even after a while, be confident but not firm so it goes straight in, if you hesitate or are unsure...its knows... its like a dog and fear... :ninja:

• Like 2

sorry did try and search the forum but couldnt realy find anything manily to do with 5th gear problems ...so it seams i have nothing to worrie about well that has put my mind to rest a little bit i have just had the p3 service done but when i get my clutch and fly done i will get them to put in some genuine nissan oil and some addative for me because i when i had the service done i doubt they used genuine nissan stuff because i had it done at my local garage (never take my car to the stealers anymore their all monkeys) just means zmanalex is going to love me now got quite a big order now

thanks for the help guys

I'm not sure from this if you are saying the gearbox oil was changed or not, but if it was and it wasn't genuine Nissan oil you will get all sorts of horrid noises - no matter how good you think the replacement oil is, it just doesn't work like the Nissan oil.

Edited by Toon Chris

• 10 months later...

Around town you have to nurse 1st to 2nd as it doesnt like it that much at low rpm's. If its doing it at all rpms then get some molyslip its really good stuff. Think its just one of those things as my old Integra was exactly the same around town.

I changed my oil and it didn't make much difference. As above, i reckon mine's better 1st to 2nd when you rev it, only really noticed today, so will have a play tomorrow.

Went out for a beer last week with a mate who's a transmission engineer for land rover. I explained to him about the zed box, and he said oh yeah, we had a similar problem with a box we were developing, no matter what oil they used it was the same, crunch first to second. he reckoned the synchro rings were the wrong material and they slipped too much so the gears didn't match speeds correctly. Wish i'd left the molyslip out of mine and driven it for a few days.

Edited by ianboom