Experiment - How accurate & just how fast is an HR?

AMT

...because I've never owned a car this fast before and still enjoying it? (you've ran out of fun zedness ...)lol Remember not all of us have had a huge lot of experience and 300+ ponies at their disposal... its novel. Now fair enough I'm not 17 and don't feel the need to wreck a car, burn its tyres out or do donuts (ill give it a try one day.. just for you DBlock lol) but I still like the novelty of having a fast, pretty good sounding car. Now have a fish to face for your old grumpyness... :fishslap:;)

Edited by AMT

Ok how do you post videos from photobucket then? lol I thought it might take the link in the image thing but no...

EDIT.... why the hell am I still up this late and on this :wacko: I haven't even been out drinking :dry:

Edited by AMT

Find a disused runway. Get yourself a rolling wheel, the sort that surveyors use. Measure out 1/4 of a mile. Do half a dozen runs and time them, then average them out. 0-100 is meaningless as speedo's just aren't accurate enough, standing 1/4 mile can be measured fairly accurately :thumbs: and most magazines will run that test as standard, so it's easy to compare cars.

Pete

...because I've never owned a car this fast before and still enjoying it? (you've ran out of fun zedness ...)lol Remember not all of us have had a huge lot of experience and 300+ ponies at their disposal... its novel. Now fair enough I'm not 17 and don't feel the need to wreck a car, burn its tyres out or do donuts (ill give it a try one day.. just for you DBlock lol) but I still like the novelty of having a fast, pretty good sounding car. Now have a fish to face for your old grumpyness... :fishslap:;)

I'm not saying that I'm just saying if your looking at it from that point of view you may be disappointed in the performance as straight line isn't really the zed's strength.

As above aswell get a gps or use distance as a better guide of speed.

Its ok, I still love you....pml... Well its a def (unless peeing with rain), im heading up next sunday to Crail, times will be posted when I get back :), hopefully some vids. Incidently how do you post videos from photobucket?

Il post times up aswel. Itl be interesting to see the time differences between the HR and DE. I might skip breakfast so im a little lighter :lol: . Im not sure how to post vids up unless you put them on youtube and then post the link. Evilscorp posted vids from photobucket but my laptop never played them very well for some reason

Oooh that would be a good shout, DE vs HR. Is yours modified at all? I'm stock (i feel so american with that word..lol) I really hope its a nice day and busy! But either way I'm looking forward to a bit of fun. I hope theres some really nice stuff up, I wouldn't mind being beaten by something exotic-ish lol Mind you I'll hopefully not be near some of the heavy modded bangers and some are ridiculous quick. I don't beat off a Corsa...pml

Straight line racing is ghey with a capital GHEY!

Get to knockhill and learn how to drive proper. Much more enjoyable than destroying your clutch and getting smoked of clios and saxo's at crail. Beware there is a good chance you will get very embarrassed with a zed

• Like 1

Neil your sappin' the fun out of this lol I will be careful with the clutch and I'm not a fan of racing on track (a nice country road jaunt does me fine), I like straight line pace better :teeth: anyway its all good fun! And I'd rather look after my clutch than wreck my tyres, brakes etc on track. just got two new rears on yesterday, my bank liked that :lol:

what tyres are you running now? The quarter mile is very harsh on cars. They dont warm up correctly and get stood still very quickly at the end. Beware of this as I really do think this could end in tears.

You'd be surprised how little damage is done to tyres and brakes when your first learning. Get yourself some yellowstuff pads and a set of rays with re040's cheapp and they'll last you forever. Your going faster up knockhill straight than you will be going on the quarter mile ;) Still very good fun and will be more enjoyable for you and of course, knockhill isnt full of bams

Do what you want to do and enjoy it. As long as it's safe then it's up to you. Lots of people judge cars on 0 -60 times so if you' re interseted in comparisons why not do it. If I boot my zed off the line it feels quick to me and just keeps pulling. Enjoy. :thumbs:

Edited by lovie

Oooh that would be a good shout, DE vs HR. Is yours modified at all? I'm stock (i feel so american with that word..lol) I really hope its a nice day and busy! But either way I'm looking forward to a bit of fun. I hope theres some really nice stuff up, I wouldn't mind being beaten by something exotic-ish lol Mind you I'll hopefully not be near some of the heavy modded bangers and some are ridiculous quick. I don't beat off a Corsa...pml

Mines has decats, exhaust and plenum spacer but its not mapped so god knows how itl do lol. Itl be spercharged in a couple of months though so il take it up again then and see what the difference is. There is some really quick bangers up there though so might get embarassed :lol:

Yep I'm aware of that, but I don't want to waste my runs (if I can help it in the queing lol) with stuff like that. Hopefully get some decent comparisons for the stuff a lot of people will be thinking of, hot hatches,S2000 etc. I'm not going up for serious runs, this is my first time so I'm up to enjoy it and see what the car can do, the aim is not to beat this that and the next lol

Then what's the point?

The way I see it, you have two options:

1. Go for fun, have a laugh, don't worry about competition or comparison

2. Take it seriously, give it the best you possibly can and sod mechanical sympathy, come away with some decent results

I suspect you may be disappointed. Come across something like a Focus RS and you'll likely lose quite badly, but I know which I'd rather be driving down the twisty lanes. ;) Neil has it spot-on here, IMHO.

The quarter mile is very harsh on cars. They dont warm up correctly and get stood still very quickly at the end.

I used to drag my VW a lot, and I don't really agree with the above. As I'd driven to Santa Pod it's not like the engine's stone cold, and even then you've got plenty of time to start it and drive down the fire up lane to ensure you're out of the cold start routine/map on the ECU.

The launch can be harsh - but that's entirely down to the driver, you don't have to side-step the clutch whilst banging off the rev limiter... Also if you're on road tyres on a proper drag strip surface you'll get a fair amount of clutch-saving wheelspin anyway.

After the run it's easy enough to take the car for a pootle around back to the start line and let everything cool down - not that it'll have got that hot anyway, having only been wide-open throttle for 1/4 mile! Track days were usually where I'd cook things and reduce the lifespan of components - never had any problems on the 1/4 mile, even with drag slicks - but then I was always careful on the launch.

• Like 1

If you really want to test your performance you need to do a Vmax day, but they're not the easiest of things in the world to get on if you don't have something vaguely interesting. I'd love to see some of the big power guys on here go up against some of the more exotic things, that would be great to watch :)

Yeah your missing the point here Ekona, its a mix, its all about fun but you do want to try and get a good time...thats the fun part! Taking it seriously would be kitting it out, stripping weight etc(which some do...). Too many are too quick to pin something down lol. (think as you would when you were a bit younger... not :wheelchair: lol). And no I will not be side stepping the clutch lol You can still get away quick without ruining it.

Anyway I know everyone has their opinions just... don't think too much into it. When you were young-ish and if you had a nice car and someone went lets go here and blast up this 1/4 mile and you'll get times at the end and the chance to race some nice stuff (even if it beats you).... you gonna turn round and go...well I don't see the po...SHUT UP! :lol: I'm gonna stand firm on that point. ;)

Edited by AMT

I had my first sports car at 23, MR2 mk3. I never wanted to take it to a drag strip, sorry. Each to their own, I just prefer something that takes a little more skill to master than just launching.

I didn't mean taking it seriously by stripping the car, I meant take it seriously as a frame of reference for a real-world 0-60 time for a HR car, which was the point of your original post, was it not? Look, I'm sure you'll have a super time living your life a quarter mile at a time, my point was more to treat it as a fun day out rather than a technical exercise. :)

I have no idea how old you are, but out of curiosity how old do you think I actually am?!

• Like 1