Experiment - How accurate & just how fast is an HR?

AMT

I had my first sports car at 23, MR2 mk3. I never wanted to take it to a drag strip, sorry. Each to their own, I just prefer something that takes a little more skill to master than just launching.

You should try it. Then maybe you'd realise that there's a lot more skill to drag racing than most people think.

No doubt there's more skill than the simplistic view of it I gave, but it's still about as basic a version of motorsport as you can get. I reckon once you get onto the silly power things of 800bhp and up then it probably does get quite interesting from a driving perspective, but I just can't see the thrill of doing it in a normal car. Hell, even when I did Vmax in the 911 the fun was from seeing how big your balls were by getting the highest top speed before braking, and not from the actual driving bit.

Granted, that was auto over manual, but I just don't think that straight line stuff is for me in normal cars. Soz.

I have done drag racing when I was yoof! And it's fun but only when smoking older guys in big cars with the likes of a Saxo VTS etc. it's fun having a blast but in terms of skill required,compared to track racing, it's very basic. Full throttle, change gear, full throttle, change gear, hold steering wheel straight, more throttle.... The hardest bit is getting the car as quickly off the line as possible

If you really want to test your performance you need to do a Vmax day, but they're not the easiest of things in the world to get on if you don't have something vaguely interesting. I'd love to see some of the big power guys on here go up against some of the more exotic things, that would be great to watch :)

Vmax is an engine killer though, particularly with FI cars, this is why MLR now do 30-130 as its not as likely to melt your lump :D

I have done drag racing when I was yoof! And it's fun but only when smoking older guys in big cars with the likes of a Saxo VTS etc. it's fun having a blast but in terms of skill required,compared to track racing, it's very basic. Full throttle, change gear, full throttle, change gear, hold steering wheel straight, more throttle.... The hardest bit is getting the car as quickly off the line as possible

Agree - the launch is key, but so are the first couple of gear changes. I've had just as much fun running down the strip in a standard 1.3 litre Polo GT in 17 seconds as I have in the same car years later with the addition of drag radials, turbo & nitrous pulling 12s passes. It's only not fun if your car looks fast and isn't!

Got to be one of the cheapest forms of competitive motorsport, and whilst I enjoy a trackday too - you're not *supposed* to be racing!

Yeah your missing the point here Ekona, its a mix, its all about fun but you do want to try and get a good time...thats the fun part! Taking it seriously would be kitting it out, stripping weight etc(which some do...). Too many are too quick to pin something down lol. (think as you would when you were a bit younger... not :wheelchair: lol). And no I will not be side stepping the clutch lol You can still get away quick without ruining it.

Anyway I know everyone has their opinions just... don't think too much into it. When you were young-ish and if you had a nice car and someone went lets go here and blast up this 1/4 mile and you'll get times at the end and the chance to race some nice stuff (even if it beats you).... you gonna turn round and go...well I don't see the po...SHUT UP! :lol: I'm gonna stand firm on that point. ;)

Just go and enjoy yourself...its a good day out and the run up (if weather is good) from central area is fun too.

Never done Crail in a car, only a bike, but remember that after the run, you have a large outfield section before you get back to the start. Good fun on a bike, and probably just as much fun in a car, as its a wide open space with nowt to hit if mishaps occur....

Apart from anything else, it was interesting to browse about the stuff up there.

As for times...just be sensible. No point in destroying a clutch. Don't expect great times, and DO expect to be trounced by most.

And post some times up when you get back. You can ask for a results sheet - which will list other vehicles as well. Some of the times will shock you.

Dear god theres a tonne of stuff to trail through here...but in true controversial style...I shall.. lol!

A... Ekona I think your like 40-50...by the sounds of it lol(im 27 and despite sounding like a yoof... my job title is Data Analyst/Auditor... how childish I'm I really likely to be? lol!)

B... I am going up there for fun, its not a technical excercise, I do want to see the times (tht is the fun part along with doing it) and Im not bothered whether I win or loose in the main sense (obviously your tryinglol), I just don't want to waste my time being beating by a stripped out nova thats tuned to the moon. Not because I would be annoyed but Id rather be beaten by something to look at as it disapears... a TVR for example..you get them a lot, mind you its banzai so possible some GTRs or something equal to the Zed anyway in pace terms lol)

C ... (I'm harking back to some previous past posts from others here)... The Zed ..your 309bhp car...is not normal. It doesn't sound normal, doesn't look normal, sure as hell doesn't go normal, people see it as some sort of mini supercar (or porsche which I get annoyed at in petrol statons lol). An astra, a Mondeo these are 'normal' cars if your talking about general. To some this is a pipe dream to have such a car and I'm very very lucky to have an HR in such good nick, some people struggle to afford the 276's tax etc. To me it sounds sometimes (and dont take offense...even tho you will lol) some people are too used to big powerful cars and forget how special a car can be to some people! Especially if its your first time in such a powerful thing. Fair enough I'm reaonsably used ot it now, but its still gives you a thrill, still makes you smile, so I would disagree with anyone calling a Z..a normal car.

And...D... if I come back clutch fecked, crap times, you can all have a laugh anyway lol

Pay attention to point C...lol :)

Edited by AMT

The z is just a jazzed up Datsun! I love mines though but I was only 21 when I bought mines so bk then it was a special car. With the prices they are at now, they're cheaper than normal cars(which is sad but true) there's loads of knobs with them now which makes the zed even shitter. I wouldn't by a 350z if I had the money now as much as I like them. I would by something much better.

I decided i was going to sell mines a few weeks bk for an Audi R8 and couldn't do it! I think this is down to the bond I have from ownin it from a young age! so another while saving and then ill hide her at the back of the garage and onto pastures new I think

...aack your missing it Neil, people on the street don't go (or at least most dont)...'oh dcks drive those things their terrible'. I can't believe the looks this car gets, old, young, guys, girls, kids. It is a special car if it makes people do that. For someone whos always liked cars you should never grow out that. Yes an Audi R8 smacks it in every term, but because its in a lower class doesn't mean its a 'jumped up datsun' lol. That thing where you catch sight of something nice and reasonably rare, it works for all classes and still works with the Zed (particularly facelift models lol) When you see one from behind on the motorway it doesnt look like any other car with its squat look and arches. You could hand me an R8 right now and id still look back to glance a Zed if I seen one. Nissan skylines (more so older ones), if you wanna take it from a design point of view (as I studied it, ...then decided not to go down to england for the transport course...*idiot*) their crap, it looks nothing like what a sporty or supercarish vehicle should be,BUT its proportions and size stand out from eveything else, it looks special, it makes you look. Loose that and you've lost your love of cars (and thats not coming from some jumped up kid in a hatchback).

EDIT - I honestly think for a car forum (as bad as it sounds) some people actively try to take down the Zed lol I'm not a huge zedmaniac, Ive said the interiors not bad, I do realise its cheap plastic etc etc, I hate its backside, not the best lookin thing ..and so on, but when some posts are made (and not always mine :lol:) instead of joining in the fun and maybe a bit of loose cristicism (aw you might get shafted from an RS tbh.. lol) people drive it down hard, nah the zed cant do this, its rubbish for that, whats the point etc ....

People joining this or others might just think, ... they don't seem to class the Zed very high do they?... lol think about it.. I'm not entirely wrong there. :lol:

Edited by AMT

...aack your missing it Neil, people on the street don't go (or at least most dont)...'oh dcks drive those things their terrible'. I can't believe the looks this car gets, old, young, guys, girls, kids. It is a special car if it makes people do that

Have to agree. When I had my HR Roadster, I lost count of the number of complete strangers who would come up to me and say "nice car!", or start talking to be about it. Most people I met had never seen an HR Roadster and said how rare they were. I used to get kids shouting out at me "nice car mister" as I drove by. I think a lot of it is that 350z`s are pretty rare cars, which is one of the reasons I bought mine. I see hundreds of boxsters (you can pick them up for a couple of grand now), z4`s, rx8`s, 911`s, Audi TT`s etc... but in 18 months of owning my HR zed I only saw 2 other HR roadsters and maybe 2 HR coupe`s at the most. "Normal" zeds I probably only saw about 4 of them.

EDIT - I honestly think for a car forum (as bad as it sounds) some people actively try to take down the Zed

Your not the first person to say that!

• Like 1

I don't get the necessity to own a rare car. I couldn't give a toss if I was the only person in the world to have one or everybody had one, I just buy the car that's right for me. How many may or may not exist of a particular model is irrelevant, unless I'm buying a car for an investment.

• Like 1

You can pick one up for just over £3K these days. The cheapest R8 in the country is £40K.

Im loving the way that people are making the HR out to be a different car ........ to 99.99% of the country a 350Z is a 350Z, to most of that percentage its a slightly nicer than average Nissan.

• Like 1

I don't get the necessity to own a rare car. I couldn't give a toss if I was the only person in the world to have one or everybody had one, I just buy the car that's right for me. How many may or may not exist of a particular model is irrelevant, unless I'm buying a car for an investment.

Is it a necessity to own a rare car? I dont know anyone who picks a car purely because its rare. 2CV`s are mega rare now, but i dont see anyone rushing out to buy them. I think most people are like myself. They try a few cars out, workout which one they like, then start looking at that model. When I decided I wanted a 350z, I decided I wanted the best one they did, and for me, that was an HR model. I also wanted a Roadster. At that point in time i didnt know they were mega rare, until I started looking for one, and found only 2 for sale within 100 miles of my postcode.

Sure, having a rare car is for me a bonus, as I like to be different and not just be like everyone else. Be a bit of a boring place if everyone drove the same car - even if it was a perfectly good car for them.