What makes a good racing driver?

Having been to two GPs, I have really do get just how skillful the F1 drivers are. On TV you really don't appericiate the speed and the moves these guys are pulling off. The two GP races I've been too both had support from races from 911 GT3s, Ferrari 456s, F2 cars, all of them are SIGNIFICENTLY slower than the F1 cars. You can really tell the speed differential when you trying to take photos, with 911s your get 4-5 shots down a straight as they go by, with a F1 car your get 1 shot if your prepared and quite often they are so much quicker by the time the lens has focused the car is long gone!! Compared to F1 cars the pace of the 911s/Ferraris in particular seem very very pedistrian.

In a city circuit like Singapour where you could get really close to the cars, it really is scary how close to a concerate barrier these guys are prepared to get lap after lap. Trust me you need some serious balls, and a bit total disregard for your own self preservation to do what the F1 drivers do, I know I certainly don't have the balls to drive a F1 car to the limit, let alone the skill!!!. After going to the Singapour F1 even my wife now understands what its all about, the racing this year has been fab, I'm really really tempted to go to another race this year.....just need to find the time (and money) :lol:

8076500365_dfb1f8bc1a_b.jpg

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

Read throught his thread inclucing one or two badly written posts by me all we have come to the conclusion that 50% of people find F1 boring and the other 50% think F1 take alot of skill, both right in my eyes but that isnt the question, What makes a good racing driver? ,

but this cannot be answered untill you know what style of racing,

as i would put money on it if we went and got Mr Vettel dropped in fords latest WRC fiesta and put him up gainst the top WRC of the moment he wouldnt stand a chance and like wise lets put loeb in a F1 car im sure he will get destroyed, There both extremely skilled guys but dropped into a completely diffrent style of driving there not going to shine straight away.

Like everyone Recons Senna is the best racing driver ever But on what grounds he might have been something special back then that doesnt mean that like above if he got dropped in lorry racing he would do the same there?

I belive saitio and aasbo are epic drivers not saying they can jump in a F1 car and win every race, but then id like to see Hamilton or button jump in a drift car and do half as good as these guys

Edited by StevoD

Och c'mon folks are we honestly having a discussion here about 'what's the best motorsport'? :lol:

Unless you're directly involved in motorsport - engineering or driving - your opinion is worthless - and you certainly have no right to comment on skill levels!

I have to agree I get bored by F1 and prefer to watch the BTCC or GT but I would never have the audacity to sit and comment on driver skill... a few sharp intakes of breath and grimaces at some manouvres maybe but only in admiration :drive1

Edited by Vik54

I would disagree there Vik. I'm not involved in TV either, but I'm pretty sure that the acting levels in Silent Witness are significantly better than in Hollyoaks, but I still enjoy watching Hollyoaks more ;) I don't think you need to be directly involved in something to have an opinion on it.

I would disagree there Vik. I'm not involved in TV either, but I'm pretty sure that the acting levels in Silent Witness are significantly better than in Hollyoaks, but I still enjoy watching Hollyoaks more ;) I don't think you need to be directly involved in something to have an opinion on it.

:lol: so by that logic we can all lean over a surgeon's shoulder and tell him what vein he needs to reconnect? :p

Dunno, I've never watched surgery so couldn't comment :p

I could tell you how to run a doctor's surgery though, or at least how not to if you use my local one as an example. There's a difference between the tiny details (I wouldn't tell Adrian Newey that his diffuser is 0.5mm too high to work) and the bigger stuff (I'd tell Ross Brawn his cars are working their rear tyres miles too hard).

:lol: so by that logic we can all lean over a surgeon's shoulder and tell him what vein he needs to reconnect? :p

No but i can tell Jack the Lad working behind the little chef counter isnt the same chef that Heston Blumenthal is

Edited by StevoD

My point was only that unless you've' been there done that' where do folks get off commenting on 'skill' levels ... :) I am the first to :lol: and :clap: in disbelief at some of the BTCC manouvres but I would not dare comment on the drivers' SKILL levels

The one who races on mixed tyres and finishes the race :lol:

It's never happened... massive oversteer / understeer accident at the first corner! :lol:

Edit: Unless they have DBA's and Ferrodo

Edited by Paddy78
  • Like 1

TBH, this is all futile, the best driver is the one that brings most sponsorship with him :)

This is too true and exactly where my jab at F1 came from. Yes they are all very skilled and i do love watching it but (sorry Vix) it is OBVIOUS that the F1 grid isn't full of the most talented single seat drivers - this isn't my opinion i'm afraid, it's fact. Some of the more skilled guys have moved to other, not as highly regarded disceplines after being dropped in favour of max-chilton-esque money fountains.

I would add:

- a high level of ability to multi-task without brain overload

- an ability to control emotion

- consistent level of precision (not just F1)

- they can read ambient conditions/surfaces very well

- fast decision making (high self-confidence)

Fighter pilot's have all of the above qualities x10 and they don't get paid what that we turd hamilton gets. I bet he would sh*t his drawers in a eurofighter!

he would probably be quite good... :p

also i would happily take home minimum wage if i got to fly fast jets for a living

Fighter pilot's have all of the above qualities x10 and they don't get paid what that we turd hamilton gets. I bet he would sh*t his drawers in a eurofighter!

he would probably be quite good... :p

also i would happily take home minimum wage if i got to fly fast jets for a living

Its not all its cracked up to be!

What about footballers? They do sweet fa in comparison to f1 drivers. So should they be paid less even less than jet fighter pilots do? I find your comment ridiculous. You can't compare a sports person to a armed forces job with regards to pay. We all know about the entertainment world and how money works.

Exactly. Hamilton entertains me far more than Captain Johnny Go-Faster-Smythe in a Eurofighter, so I don't care if the racing car driver gets paid more than the pilot.

Exactly, plus the pilot doesn't generate £Millions via endorsements, merchandise etc. etc. I'm by no means knocking fighter pilots or other professions, but you have to look at the money generated and invested in F1 (And other sports). Of course people at the top of these sports are going to get paid huge amounts.

What about footballers? They do sweet fa in comparison to f1 drivers. So should they be paid less even less than jet fighter pilots do? I find your comment ridiculous. You can't compare a sports person to a armed forces job with regards to pay. We all know about the entertainment world and how money works.

Dude i appreciate that you like what you like and i also like what i like, but the difference between me and you, is that i have trained with WORLD level athlete's all my adult life. Folk who sacrifice any sort of a normal life for not a lot of reward! So sorry if fotball players or F1 drivers etc dont impress me. I do understant that 99% of folk love it but after rubbing shoulders with elite sportsmen for over 20 years both professionally and socially i have a different take on oi!