Track tires/Slicks

Woods1

Hi guys I'm doing a track day soon and guna get some tires as my current ditch finders are terrible. I've heard great things from the likes of r888 style tires but they can still command a good price part worn in 18s, but full slicks part worn are quiet cheap.

Will fitting a set of slick tires with masses more grip damage suspension parts on my 350z if I go for a slick tire over a "cut slick" style tire?? As I don't want to bend and break things?

Im not sure in answer to your question, but look into the trackday rules of the tracks you're looking at as i've seem some that state no slicks allowed. Not sure why to be honest but i know i've seen it.

+1 I believe some tracks don't allow slicks (certain day's/events)

Bear in mind that a car on full slicks can behave very differently to on road tyres - you can usually push much harder but get less warning of the car about to break-away.

Some trackdays will only let you use slicks if you've got a full rollcage, and some not at all. Most of the open-pit trackdays I've attended have been relaxed about use of slicks, presumably because the open-pit nature of the event means those on slicks can take their time getting the tyres up to temperature before going hell for leather - whereas an event run in short sessions might not give you enough time to get heat in the tyres.

A trackday isn't a race, so I'd be tempted to use the ditchfinders and spend my cash on some good rubber for the road and trash the cheap stuff on track.

Not seen any rules as yet on not allowing slicks, its an open pit at oulton park next month.

My mate in his evo who run 17's for track picks up part work r888's of ebay for like 50-60 quid a set but there a bit rarer in 18s and yea a good set of road tires would be a good idea but im probs not going to use the standard gt rays for the road again unless my other wheels have a problem and a good set of road tires commands a much higer price as there useful to all road users whereas track tires only accomodate to a small number of us so tend to be cheaper as they seem to almost give away part worn track tires.

il keep my eyes open for something non slick lol

Slicks are usually only allowed as long as you have rollover protection. In the case of a coupe, it's built into the car so you'll be fine (the rule is more there for Caterhams without a cage).

Personally I've never run slicks myself so can't comment too much, however depending on your track day experience I would give very serious thought before using them. Yes, you will get a hellish amount of grip with them, but as Amstrange1 says above you need to have a good understanding of how they feel and how important warming them up and cooling them down are. They will also allow you to put far more lateral load into your suspension parts as you correctly assume, and whilst I don't feel there's any particular weakpoints in the Zed's suspension that shouldn't be able to cope quite happily with that, it's just worth bearing in mind.

A road car on 888s will be more than quick enough to be fun at Oulton, and even doing it on ditchfinders will be fine and arguably more fun (I've got Event tyres on my MX-5, and it was hysterical there in October). I wouldn't bother putting slicks on unless it's something you really want to try.

Also, it's T-Y-R-E-S. :p;)

I'd personally stick with something like road legal track day tyres, 888's are good just search for which compound will suit the 350z.

Do not put slicks on the car, as you'll be putting pretty high levels of stress on suspension components that weren't designed to cope with the loads under those conditions.

We have Dunlop Direzza DZ03s on the Supra, which are road legal track tyres, which are probably the best its had as it would always spin when pulling away before (driving normally it was still struggle for traction) but when these are warm she sticks to the road like glue, although rain is another story, but she only ever goes out when its dry (greasy roads last weekend was interesting lol).

Worst thing about them is the price £350 each!!

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Dunlop/Direzza-DZ03.htm

Yoko AD08s are great for track and last well to boot.

My bro is putting a set of these on his for some track sessions this year.

They have had some good reviews by his fellow trackdayers.

These are the new AD08R, love the noise

Nice vid... shame I bought AD08s about 6 months ago now that there's a new version. :lol: