Ebay / Forum Etiquette

Ceejay29

I am never sure whether or not to point out an Ebay listing? It is nice to bring a potential bargain to a fellow members attention, although this may p**s watchers off (possible forum members) as it may drive the item price up?

Needless to say, I have been watching an item that finishes soon and would bid for it if I didn't have more important things to buy (droplinks, bushes and road tax).

This is deliberately vague for reasons of etiquette.

Personally I'm not in favour of posting up interesting eBay links as, like the OP says, all it does is make sure that no-one gets a bargain.

The only exception I can see is if someone has made a Wanted thread for a specific part, at least that way you know you're directly helping a fellow member out. :)

• Like 2

i hate it when people post up ebay links, you spend ages scouring ebay looking for a bargin, you find it, and then some egit, posts it up and all the people who can't search ebay that well suddenly all pounce on it and the once bargin you found becomes a turkey shoot.

finding an ebay gem should be the same as digging for gold, do the hard work yourself, instead of waiting for someone to hand it to you on a plate.

only time i guess is if someone specifically asks for it, or if you are selling something you're self and want as much publicity and potential buys possible to push up your profit.

• Like 1

But then our rules do not forbid members posting links for items/cars they may be selling, but not on here - some through choice or because they do not meet selling rules, as:

1) we are not a free ad hosting site to all-comers and

2) for those selling ZEDs and needing to meet the 100 quality post requirement before they can advertise on here, that is so that it can give members the opportunity to review the car history that has been posted to help give some comfort about it, which they would not get on ebay, autotrader etc. .

But I sympathize with those hoping for a bargain that then have it highlighted. :shrug:

• Like 1

Sssshhhh! We should try and keep ebay a secret.

You are right though, as a seller I want my listings screamed about but as a buyer I want no one to know what I have found.

My best bargains have come from snapping up buy it nows quickly. I have only ever posted items that I'm not interested in but think someone may be, never thought that i'm actively shafting another searcher.

to be fair its very rare an item i'm watching has been posted on a forum,

i'm not going to bitch at someone if they do it, its an open forum and people can post what ever they like. sometimes it helps peoples sometimes it might annoy someone, but its not enough that anyone would fall out over it.

just don;t start posting jag bargins up ;):lol:

• Like 1

It still went for a decent price, but in hindsight I probably should have mentioned the item after auction competition. I am also curious whether or not a forum member bought it, if so, did this topic bring it to your attention? (I think I could be asking for a slap lol)