Is there a risk in buying cheaper discs?

leightonjames

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at these brake discs but wondered if there's a reason to them being cheap?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KINETIX-GROOVED-FRONT-BRAKE-DISCS-Nissan-350-Z-350Z-BREMBO-TYPE-03-324MM-/270897131110?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f12ba2e66

I know the importance of discs but does the rule of "you get what you pay for" apply?

Thanks in advance!

Leighton

I had some pattern ones fitted by my garage on the instruction that they fitted them to porsches and they were fine.

They promptly warped in about 500 miles so they swapped them out for slightly more expensive ebc discs and they have been fine since, track day and all.

I simply couldnt justify the price of brembos...

I've been advised (not from this forum) that these discs aren't originally designed to be drilled/groved. They are standard, budget discs made to look like expensive items and tempt buyers.

The drilling and groove process effectively weakens them. Not something you need from something as important as brakes!!

I knew this thread would bring out the scaremongers!

those who actually work in the trade know that discs dont just jump off cars on a daily basis killing all those on board, it is more likely cheap discs will warp quicker and wear out quicker. Yes cheaper means cheaper but expensive doesnt always mean good.

• Like 1

those who actually work in the trade know that discs dont just jump off cars on a daily basis killing all those on board, it is more likely cheap discs will warp quicker and wear out quicker. Yes cheaper means cheaper but expensive doesnt always mean good.

Buy what you can afford..they will go very well with the budget tyres and the Chinese brake pads...!!! :thumbdown:

To give a different point of view on these.

I have the exact disks on my fronts. http://kinetixbrakes.co.uk/

They looked good and fitted with no issues. Minimal run out when checked with a DTI < 0.002".

They do not have multi drilled holes like the photo but just 5 stud holes, and are ground not turned on the braking area.

The drilled spots and grooves are part of the manufacturing process not added later as they are under the zinc plating.

When matched with these http://www.ebay.co.u...84.m1438.l2649

they stop a lot better than the original Nissan disks after 50,000 miles.

I used Zman Alexes break in procedure and they blued up nicely.

They might wear out quicker than other makes and maybe I just got a good set who knows, but I am certainly happy with them and will get a set of rears once they are back in stock in a few weeks.

The only thing I have noticed is that they occasionally smell a little when pushed hard but that may be because they are in their first few thousand miles or it might just be a combination of the pads and disks.

However I have had no brake fade even when hot so am a happy bunny. :thumbs:

Edited by flyboy

Good Flyboy..then everybody is happy...if supplied by ZMANALEX I have no problem with any of

of the parts he supplies..Just my preference if I have a sports car which I respect its performance I

would like it to stop as quickly as it accelerates without drama.. :scare: :scare:

• Like 1

Good Flyboy..then everybody is happy...if supplied by ZMANALEX I have no problem with any of

of the parts he supplies..Just my preference if I have a sports car which I respect its performance I

would like it to stop as quickly as it accelerates without drama.. :scare: :scare:

Please re read Flyboys post. I think you will find that he used Alex's bedding in procedure. Not that he purchased from Alex.

Quote ... " I used Zman Alexes break in procedure and they blued up nicely. "

Please re read Flyboys post. I think you will find that he used Alex's bedding in procedure. Not that he purchased from Alex.

Quote ... " I used Zman Alexes break in procedure and they blued up nicely. "

YES' AND I SAID IF SUPPLIED BY ALEX, I HAD NO PROBLEM WITH THAT..!!

Not bought from Zman Alex.

As posted above used his advice on how to bed in correctly.

There was no intention to use his name to support my views on these brake disks.

Sorry if this was implied in any way.

Edited by flyboy

So for people with these views when you bought your presumably second hand car do you know what disks are on it?

How they were treated from day one?

Do you then change them out as soon as possible just in case, along with pads and tyres, change the fluid and brake pipes etc etc

:p:boxing:

Ok fair point, mine wasn't.

But I am sure most people dont know the history of their car when they bought it.

Kinetics say they make the disks under one roof in the USA and if manufactured for the litigious US market they should do what it says on the tin.

As I say the statement I made is a personal point of view from experience not hearsay.

+1 give it a fancy name slap a massive price tag on it and market it right. it will sell.

I don't track my car but I want to :lol: but for 99% of driving I do I think standard is fine personally. I'd put the money into better pads.

I'm not knocking the discs, I'm sure they will be perfectly OK for normal road use..I'm just worried about cheap parts.

I bought a cheap alternator for my S500 Merc wanted £450 for a genuine one, so got one for £220, it lasted 9 months and then I had to buy a Merc one..!! :scare: :scare:

I'm not knocking the discs, I'm sure they will be perfectly OK for normal road use..I'm just worried about cheap parts.

I bought a cheap alternator for my S500 Merc wanted £450 for a genuine one, so got one for £220, it lasted 9 months and then I had to buy a Merc one..!! :scare: :scare:

ok? Easy for merc parts though. Find out who makes them and buy from supplier and not dealer. E.g. On some Porsches Textar make pads. You can buy them with out the porsche badge for way way way cheaper. Same part though,

Ok fair point, mine wasn't.

But I am sure most people dont know the history of their car when they bought it.

Kinetics say they make the disks under one roof in the USA and if manufactured for the litigious US market they should do what it says on the tin.

As I say the statement I made is a personal point of view from experience not hearsay.

Personal experience? Not scaremongering? Youre on the wrong board mate, thats not how thing are done here ;)

I wouldnt think twice about running pattern disks myself, as someone else said they dont suddenly leap off of cars causing them to burst into flames. :lol:

• Like 1