Engine Bay Cleanup

smudgedon

Plastic bags over electric units and battery, slow running hose or watering can, couple old toothbrushes and then I use the foam stuff that you spray onto foot carpets over all the engine bay scrub it in then rinse off, repeat 2-3 times. Then I spray some back to black over the plastics to freshen them up, lovely jubbly.

Plastic bags over electric units and battery, slow running hose or watering can, couple old toothbrushes and then I use the foam stuff that you spray onto foot carpets over all the engine bay scrub it in then rinse off, repeat 2-3 times. Then I spray some back to black over the plastics to freshen them up, lovely jubbly.

Any pics of your results?

I use Autoglym Engine cleaner - spray on and agitate WELL with some good brushes. Part of the problem is the engine bay paint isn't highly lacquered so dirt can get ingrained and become more difficult to remove - but on the upside it looks so much better when cleaned up.

To remove the engine cleaner I use a jet wash spray with no ill effects, although I do a) cover alternator with tin foil (is easier to use than a plastic bag), B) use the nozzle at an angle away from any electrical items and c) leave the engine running (so you need to avoid the spinning belts unless you want a mucky shower!

As for covering the battery terminals ... errr ... isn't the battery well enough protected by the fact it lives in it's own little "house"?

Autoglym vinyl & rubber care liberally sprayed on to the plastics (you don't need to buff this off it self dries to a lovely finish) and a spray of good quality wax on the paintwork (which you do need to buff up) finishes everything off.

David

Edited by Tinyflier

You will probably find it still has the manufacturer's wax on the bay so it won't be shiny, mine was matte and looked almost blue there was so much wax; 7 hours with a toothbrush and tar and glue remover later, she was all sparkly, after that, cover the essentials, I then used meguiars engine cleaner and the engine detailing stuff after, just don't get it on Samco hoses as they can react, only use warm water on them, not definite that's what happened to mine but its a possibility. Use autosol and polisher/fine steel wool/microfibre if you want to brighten up the metal work. Its tough going but so worth it!!

IMAG0341.jpg

Edited by Voodoo Vix
  • Like 3

Agreed if you're going to do the bay properly you need an entire day on it.

Wax removal, engine parts out to reach the back, sides and underneath or hard to reach places.

If the car was at my place some parts would be treated to a polish, bolts, arms, plates etc.

Agreed if you're going to do the bay properly you need an entire day on it.

Wax removal, engine parts out to reach the back, sides and underneath or hard to reach places.

If the car was at my place some parts would be treated to a polish, bolts, arms, plates etc.

Is that a subtle hint Ian? :p

WAP, that's so retro-chic! I remember my first WAP phone it was the one from the Matrix with a green screen, well cutting edge (in 2001). Took about 20 minutes to check one football score.

You thinking about upgrading to 2G soon?

I still have a few sets of these anodised engine bay washers with stanless steel bolts - once you have the oil cleaned off, you might want to bling it up a bit with some - red, blue or orange available (and 1 set in un-anodised plain silver) - £50 including delivery

(caters for both with & without plenum spacer on the bolt lengths)

BlueSetof31-1.jpg

SetofOrangeEngineBayBolts2.jpg

RedSetof31-1.jpg

AnodisedPartsinSitu.jpg

Product wise I'd recommend autobrite Jaffa. Spray on, jet wash off. Buff dry and leaves a nice sheen.

But for the ultimate eg not one step, use a citrus degreaser, agitate by brush and jet wash off. Start engine to dry off and check works. Then apply aerospace 303.

WAP, that's so retro-chic! I remember my first WAP phone it was the one from the Matrix with a green screen, well cutting edge (in 2001). Took about 20 minutes to check one football score.

You thinking about upgrading to 2G soon?

It's painful :lol:

Luckily only a temp phone until my replacement Galaxy S3 comes back to me after having my 1st one nicked

I still have a few sets of these anodised engine bay washers with stanless steel bolts - once you have the oil cleaned off, you might want to bling it up a bit with some - red, blue or orange available (and 1 set in un-anodised plain silver) - £50 including delivery

(caters for both with & without plenum spacer on the bolt lengths)

BlueSetof31-1.jpg

SetofOrangeEngineBayBolts2.jpg

RedSetof31-1.jpg

AnodisedPartsinSitu.jpg

No purple option, boooooo!!!