370Z Engine Bay Dress

TheMacDaddy

Looks fantastic.

I'm about to embark on this kind of project myself.

Just waiting for better weather.

Is the brace difficult to remove?

Just can't decide on a colour sceme yet.

No, as long as you have a deep 14mm socket or open/ring spanner as the studs are quite long. The central bit of plastic next to the wind screen is friction-fit which means you have to be careful not to damage the tabs on it, so I'd recommend not doing that when it's too cold as all of the plastics get a bit fragile.

Very nice indeed. What red is that?

So colour red is it?

It's anodized red VHT (or as my missus calls it, "Christmas Bauble Red"). You do base coats in silver, then the red, then clear coat over the top:

http://www.ebay.co.u...8871#vi-content

Edited by TheMacDaddy

Looks fantastic.

I'm about to embark on this kind of project myself.

Just waiting for better weather.

Is the brace difficult to remove?

Just can't decide on a colour sceme yet.

No, as long as you have a deep 14mm socket or open/ring spanner as the studs are quite long. The central bit of plastic next to the wind screen is friction-fit which means you have to be careful not to damage the tabs on it, so I'd recommend not doing that when it's too cold as all of the plastics get a bit fragile.

Very nice indeed. What red is that?

So colour red is it?

It's anodized red VHT (or as my missus calls it, "Christmas Bauble Red"). You do base coats in silver, then the red, then clear coat over the top:

http://www.ebay.co.u...8871#vi-content

Awesome! Cheers dude! Much love, that's the perfect red for my engine bay scheme!

• 1 year later...

** First I know, and apologize, that this is the 370 section, but engine dressing is engine dressing and not incredibly model specific in essence, especially when coming to color/colour schemes and painting.***

Resurrecting this thread that is now a year old (time flies) .. But.. I'm about to start Dressing my engine.. haven't ordered the first piece yet, but my first two "performance" pieces are going to be a pair of "Z-tubes" (Larger diameter, smoother non "accordian style" for airflow, and 3-5 ply Silicone to keep air temps down) That will either be Blue , Black or Red..

Shown here:

Z-Tubes (Post MAF Air Intake Dual Tubes)

Blue:

87-68426BLUE_350Z.jpg

Black:

$_58.JPG

Red:

87-68426-RED136639626751718d6b65563.jpg

At the same time I'm getting an Air Diversion Plate.. either in Red, Blue, or (silver?):

Air Diversion Plate:

1622851_198346380375131_1113681556_n.jpg

Then I'll grab a Hose Kit in Red, Blue (and Black is obviously Available)

Red Hose Kit:

57-1048-red.jpg

Black Hose Kit:

57-1048-black.jpg

Blue Hose Kit:

57-1048-blue.jpg

And that will be the start.. Before I start painting stuff myself.

Your engine bay looks sweet.. and I'm sure others have done their own dressing, and painting.

I'm curious with my silver 2008 VQ35HR 350 shown here:

11415440674_bf7da1019e_m.jpg

What color I should go with, Red or Blue ? Once I pick one I'll be sticking to that. Black stuff will always be an option no matter what as it goes with anything of course.. which I'm likely getting my Diversion Plate in black for that reason.

But, also,.. the rest will be going Red or Blue -- I have 2 votes from my own thread for Red.. but I also would like to know what color would be more "friendly" for when I do my own pulling and painting of other parts of the engine.. ie: Engine Cover, Sway/Strut Bar,.. Dip Stick,.. Maybe the Battery and Brake covers (I've noticed those don't look too good (to me) painted) -- so that's why the "maybe" is there.

Thanks

Edited by Chromatic

6.7HP & 6.3ft/lb from intake piping.

I very much doubt, someone prove me wrong by all means.

Unless it's on some 700hp+ boosted monster then maybe you might get results like that but no way on a NA engine.

Day jsut pritty colorrrss......

• Like 1

Unless it's on some 700hp+ boosted monster then maybe you might get results like that but no way on a NA engine.

+1, and note it says "Max" gains for both rather than Min! :lol:

that looks stunning! love that red colour. out of interest is it a hard job to spray the engine cover and the strut brace yourself?

Strut brace is easy as that doesn't need masking. I used VHT paint just to be extra-safe on the temperature side. The engine cover is a bit of a pig as I opted to wet sand the silver areas down to get them flat first. Then you have to mask it all up. If I did it again I probably wouldn't bother with the sanding and would just paint it as-is.

This is what i did and it worked fine :thumbs:

haha.. Yup,.. just a picture, and hype. Although they do have Dyno graphs and an inhouse Dyno they use on their products.. I'm sure they got these numbers off some beast built 350/370.. def. not a Stock NA. I'm doing this for 99% engine dress, and 1% air flow and air temp improvement.. I doubt the horsepower is measurable on a Dyno.. The hp increase is one that occurs as you would be 'before the addition" losing MORE hp from less dense air coming in from temps.. and the SLIGHT effect of the larger and non corrugated piping vs. stock -- These under hot ambient temps and load will keep the temps a few degree's F lower.. and air flow has less resistance and turbulence .. but, def. not something someone needs to ever think is going to make any measurable hp/torque gains lol.

+1, and note it says "Max" gains for both rather than Min! :lol:

I don't think they flat out lied -- but as I said above.. I'm sure the fact it was on a 550+ hp 350/370 was conveniently left out.. ;)

But back to my question(s) --

Colour thoughts? And Colour thoughts for ease of matching when hand painting other parts?

Been tinkering away now for a while dressing up my engine bay, so I thought it was about time I showed-off my hard work so far.

I've sprayed the strut brace and engine cover, added some anodized washers and hex bolts here and there, changed out the radiator hoses with Viper Red Samcos, thrown in a couple of new radiator caps and an oil filler cap, and installed my own DIY grounding kit.

I'm not 100% happy with the finish on the engine cover so that may be replaced with some shiny carbon at some point, and I have a few more hoses to upgrade to silicone, but all in all I think she's looking pretty damn sexy!

IMG_9567.JPG

IMG_9571.JPG

IMG_9570.JPG

Nice! I love the 370 engine bay and standard brace, really comes alive with the red. Makes the 350z bay look lame!

Have you looked at my engine bay for a painted red cover scheme? It's all down to if you can find the matching paint. Maybe you could just buy them all and get them professionally painted to match your pipes.

I'd be interested in having a browse....do you have a link BBK?

Have you looked at my engine bay for a painted red cover scheme? It's all down to if you can find the matching paint. Maybe you could just buy them all and get them professionally painted to match your pipes.

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/56939-the-bounty-bar-kids-2008-hr-350z-updated-040214/

:thumbs:

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/56939-the-bounty-bar-kids-2008-hr-350z-updated-040214/

:thumbs:

What he said, link is in my signature.

On my colour choice.. I jumped in and Ordered my Diversion plate from Mishimoto in Black, and the MishiMoto Z-tubes (for both intakes) in Red. So looks like it's be a Combo of Red and Black in my Engine..

And yes.. the 370 strut tower brace looks much better than the 350.. But i was surprised the 350 even came factory with one.. Most mechanics ask me if I put that on.. and I'm like,.. nope,.. That comes factory. Really a nice touch (and functional) from Nissan.