Front Speaker Upgrade

Keyser

Buster the ICE man was back at the ZedShed today to upgrade his front speakers, so as always we took some pics for your viewing pleasure and it may help as a guide for someone else :thumbs:

Door card removed OE speaker to come out

DSCF3318_zps74a9d28e.jpg

Using the new speaker and the OE speaker for reference I marked up a scrap piece of MDF from a previous sub box build

DSCF3319_zps7b9ef283.jpg

lots of circles

DSCF3320_zps072d5c91.jpg

Meanwhile Buster then extended the speaker wires

DSCF3321_zps58825bcd.jpg

Heatshrink

DSCF3322_zpsf6822fec.jpg

and ran them inside the door

DSCF3323_zps8e78b5c3.jpg

I finished the new mount extension

DSCF3324_zps50ecd79c.jpg

Drilled

DSCF3328_zps64c676d6.jpg

and counter sunk

DSCF3332_zps55a87af9.jpg

Some longer bolts

DSCF3325_zpsf0c62d09.jpg

Bolted that in

DSCF3333_zps824c9423.jpg

and mounted the new speaker (please note the colour)

DSCF3334_zps17061f33.jpg

All in waiting for the door card

DSCF3335_zpsd09e79ec.jpg

They sound so much better as well :)~

• Like 1

Is that just the speakers Chris?

Have you got a make and price and did you do the woofer?

That was just the front speakers Pete, Bob got them from somewhere think they are 17cm ? Pioneer TS-G1718 170w.

the wood bit to space them I made out of scraps but if you want some I'm sure we can come to an arrangment ;)

• Like 1

Is that just the speakers Chris?

Have you got a make and price and did you do the woofer?

That was just the front speakers Pete, Bob got them from somewhere think they are 17cm ? Pioneer TS-G1718 170w.

the wood bit to space them I made out of scraps but if you want some I'm sure we can come to an arrangment ;)

I said I was a coming and a coming so I am:)

Also, since most agree that the rear speakers don't add much to the sound over all, would instead of fitting 6.5" coaxials, what about fitting 6.5" subwoofers instead?

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product_list/c_path/60_64_123/spd/6-5-mid-bass-woofers.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-SWS-6-5X-EARTHQUAKE-4-OHM-SHALLOW-MOUNT-200W-MAX-6-5-SUBWOOFERS-SUBS-NEW-/400355144988?pt=Car_Subwoofers_Enclosures&vxp=mtr&hash=item5d3706b51c

Edited by BulletMagnet

• 3 weeks later...

If your wood work skills are not as impressive as Keysers, you can dismantle (read that as 'butcher/hack to pieces) the OEM speakers and use the original black plastic surround as a spacer (its purpose is to stop the window hitting the back of the speaker).

Just means you won't be able to refit the OEM speaker back in if you ever wanted to do so.

I was thinking a little out the box since we are kind of limited to subwoofer locations.

For instance your flat sub is great, but I also like using the whole boot at times when I travel to Germany and my large suitcase takes up all the room.

The flat sub is removable ;) and OEM sub and wiring is in place, 5 minute job to reconnect if I needed extra storage space :teeth:

Just a note on the fronts, did you guys modify the cover that pops out of the door card as if you look at it 60% is filled in..... I was going to butcher, sorry modify a spare pair I have to cut the middle out and then cover with some material, thought it might sound that bit better :shrug:

The standard Bose system in my Zed is not brilliant..the standard system in my X5 is superb.. :bose: :bose:

Just listen to the zorst in the Zed :teeth:

You could record it and put it on CD to listen to in the X5 :lol:

pmsl