Seems the new 911 just got better with 4wd

Will370z

It is very good, but it's also far, far too expensive. I don't mind the GT and Turbo cars being silly money, but not a cooking 911. All it does is make the Boxster (and presumably the Cayman, though I've yet to drive that) seem even better value for money.

Depends if you wanted a 2 seat supercar for the weekends or a 2+2 coupe that'll do 20K miles a year without breaking sweat.

For £100K I'd have a £60K Gallardo and a £40K 997 C4S, but then we're into a whole different thread of varying combinations. :)

Depends if you wanted a 2 seat supercar for the weekends or a 2+2 ...seats in the back, which unless you run your occupants legs over with a steam roller to make them rizla thin they wont fit.... coupe that'll do 20K miles a year without breaking sweat.

For £100K I'd have a £60K Gallardo and a £40K 997 C4S, but then we're into a whole different thread of varying combinations. :)

Fixed that for you Dan :lol:

They're not too bad on the pax side, as the footwell is big enough to have that seat quite far forward to allow someone to sit behind. Driver seat is a no-no unless you're a midget, but the biggest trouble is the headroom: If you're an adult, there simply isn't enough for anything beyond the shortest journey. S'okay if you're a kid, but otherwise you're left crouching down which really isn't comfortable.

It's why I removed them out of mine, they're pointless and I'm an anti-social git anyway :D

They're not too bad on the pax side, as the footwell is big enough to have that seat quite far forward to allow someone to sit behind. Driver seat is a no-no unless you're a midget, but the biggest trouble is the headroom: If you're an adult, there simply isn't enough for anything beyond the shortest journey. S'okay if you're a kid, but otherwise you're left crouching down which really isn't comfortable.

It's why I removed them out of mine, they're pointless and I'm an anti-social git anyway :D

You should have left them in, perfect fit for a handbag :stir:

:lol:

YES. Although why dont they make a 911 with c4s body, engine etc but 2wd and not a gt3 or something that is insane money. I would like to see the difference in fun or pleasure (not track times or speed) between a 4wd and a 2wd car.

They did that for the end-of-line 997 GTS cars: 2WD, widebody, powerkit engine, few extra odds and sods in the way of GT2RS sideskirts and front lip, but added a (thankfully optional) alcantara with faux leather interior. Most owners just took the standard leather option. It still wasn't cheap (IIRC it was £8K on top of a standard car), but it was pretty much the ultimate non-GT NA 997. I'd love one.

They did that for the end-of-line 997 GTS cars: 2WD, widebody, powerkit engine, few extra odds and sods in the way of GT2RS sideskirts and front lip, but added a (thankfully optional) alcantara with faux leather interior. Most owners just took the standard leather option. It still wasn't cheap (IIRC it was £8K on top of a standard car), but it was pretty much the ultimate non-GT NA 997. I'd love one.

Thats one I want then :lol: Now just need the money.

Did you test the 4s vs a 2s for driving pleasure. On paper the 4s is faster but when your at the type of car they are both fast enough anyway so it would come down to what I'd prefer to drive e.g. more fun or rewarding.

Funny you should mention that, my 997.1 T4S owning mate threw me the keys yesterday and I went for a play. I have to say that it's still a fantastic car, but it's not for me. The weight of the glass at the top does blunt the handling, as does the softer springs and too harsh damping of the gen1 cars. Throttle response from low down isn't as good as mine either, but then it's the older engine. There's certainly more grip in the wet round tight turns, but it just didn't feel as fun to play with as mine, a little too easy to drive quick IYSWIM.

It's odd, that makes it sound as if the 4WD gen1 is awful, but it's really not. It's utterly superb, and possibly the best all-round sports coupe you could buy for sensible money. It just makes me appreciate the little differences of mine even more, and I know I was right to pay a little (lot) more for the newer car. :)

I do need to drive a 991 4S I think, I'll have to speak to my local OPC and see when they're getting a car in. I'm at the Cayman launch there next month, might pester them then.

Hmm thats quite interesting. The too easy to drive quick was what I kinda thought but being less reward than the 2wd version. My brother has driven a 4s but not a 2s so wondered how it would be. Most people will give you a lap time or a 0-60 which TBH means nothing.

TBH I like the cayman but IMO the roof down is better so boxster any day for me.