Long run fuel economy in a manual?

AJRFulton

Did a search but cannot find any specific information.

I'm about to purchase a new GT edition in Storm White, I'll be making a 300 mile journey 2-3 times a month in it.

I'm looking for real world figures on a long motorway run, sitting at motorway speed. I'm hoping real world figures translate to around the 28mpg mark?

How is the car to run on motorways, my current cars (Auris T180) fuel economy varies a lot. From 28mpg @ 75mph, to 45mpg @ 55mph. Typical long run in that, at motorway speed, is 30-32mpg, which is atrocious for a diesel, is the Z economy affected as much by small variations in speed?

I'm fine with paying what I am for fuel, so see it as I may as well get a 370Z, as given petrol is cheaper than diesel somewhere around 27-28mpg means I'll be paying roughly the same anyway and getting a lot more car.

Thank you. I agree Storm White is best, on seeing it in a show room in GT Edition spec it swung me away from the 10 a penny (but ultimately more sensible) A5's/S5's, and a Cayman. The 370Z looks a lot better in the flesh than in pictures.

I'm actually supposed to be test driving an auto version of my prospected new purchase up in Glasgow at this very minute, but I'm stuck 300 miles away due to the snow.

Edited by Badgeronimous

Is the Z really as thirsty as they say? Looking at the figures I just don't see it being 'that' bad.

I mean, I've had sporty cars for the last decade, so maybe my view on what is cheap to run is skewed. Looking at the figures, I don't see it being that much worse than what I've had prior.

I can live comfortably with the figures you quote there Jay, thank you.

I've found the car and have a deposit down on it. It's mine subject to a test drive and nothing going drastically wrong in the next fortnight.

I can't see me not liking a +300bhp RWD sports car, especially given the Z's reviews, so unless I lose my job or something I should be picking it up at the start of February!

I trust forum opinion on the economy on a long run, and I'm happy with that. That was my only concern that 75mph maybe down into the low 20's!

I mean I can easily live with figures close to 30mpg, I mean I ran a 1.2 Clio down here a few times and only achieved 35mpg at motorway speed. Given the difference in performance, 28-29mpg is excellent!

Edited by Badgeronimous

I've had an uprev done (370's are notorious for running too rich from the factory) and that has shown I get around 32mpg on long runs around the usual motorway speeds that won't get you into trouble. That is using the cruise and usual procedure of anticipating traffic conditions ahead to minimise additional throttle or brake use. I only say that as you see so many buffoons on the motorways whose brake lights are forever coming on because they are either driving too close to what is in front and/or they are simply looking at the tail of the vehicle in front.

Trouble with the 370 is that once you have put a 'proper' exhaust system on and if like me you leave the syncro rev on there is too much temptation to enjoy those two making the 370 drive something very special. :D

Never had any regrets about my colour choice well over 3 years ago now :teeth:

Well my motorway driving is coming from Scotland to Wales, and back again. I'm usually doing this after 7pm and rarely am in anything more than moderate motorway traffic, usually quiet.

I've seen me put my car into cruise control, and not touch the brake for over 200 miles.

Another question, running on 95 RON, will it affect economy, or damage the engine? If not I'd only be interested in running super unleaded when I was actually going to use the car properly.

Also, as you've hinted there, is there any remapping that can be done to the Z to make it a better/more economical to drive? What do you suggest I research and recommend?

Uprev will help to achieve the figures quoted above, easily on a motorway jaunt, even when you "forget" to check the speedo for small periods of time. Even without UpRev, the stock tuned return good mpg, as per Jays post.

The most annoying thing is the low fuel warning light seems to be designed for the litigious American market whereby if you run out of fuel you can sue Nissan for $50million!! Coming back from JapFest last year,I had 375 miles on the trip computer when the light came on, at around the 430 mile mark, my bottle went and I fueled up, I could only get 67 ltr in her!!, so at least 13 ltr left in the tank.

I had just had her UpRevved that weekend and was a big run, so it was quite impressive.

Don't run on 95, 97 (Sainsbury) minimum but preferably 98 all the time.

Edited by The G Man
  • Like 1

Main problem I have is where I am based, which is very rural, I don't know a nearby petrol station that stocks super unleaded. It's all 95, even the local tesco and shell (which are the only 2 mainstream garages). But.... it's a 45 minute drive to get to the nearest petrol station I know stocks Super Unleaded, there maybe one closer but I can't think where (I'm in rural North Wales most of the time)

I don't really want to be driving 70-80 odd miles round trip to fill her up :(

This could be a problem if the car should not run on 95.

Edited by Badgeronimous

For the sake of a few extra pence go for V-Power or Momemtum - and it is better for engine longevity.

My uprev is principally tuned for 99, but it can be switched for 95 given that there have been occasions in Scotland where 98+ is sometimes difficult to find.

How much does this UpRev cost to get done?

I'm actually kinda slightly put off now due to a lack of super unleaded in this area. If the car has to be ran on super, I don't think it's realistic for me to buy one.

It's actually a point I never gave any thought to until mentioned here.

Edited by Badgeronimous

It'll be a shame if you can't get one - great car in every respect. My first 370Z was Storm White and it did look very nice. Only thing to watch out for on that particular colour is the colour match between the main body and front and rear bumpers. It can be quite obviously mismatched with the bumpers looking a bit too dark. Seems to vary from negligible to quite noticeable depending on the individual car. My rear bumper used to bug me for that reason. I was on the verge of getting it resprayed when I decided to go for the Black Edition. Hope you find away around the fuel issue.

How much does this UpRev cost to get done?

I'm actually kinda slightly put off now due to a lack of super unleaded in this area. If the car has to be ran on super, I don't think it's realistic for me to buy one.

It's actually a point I never gave any thought to until mentioned here.

Best you know beforehand then - my uprev was by Abbey Motorsport, but thee are a couple of others - if you do a search int the Traders section that will identfy who might be nearest to you

Oh, forgot to add that the exhaust and uprev added a few extra bhp as well as improving the economy :ninja:

I average 27 day to day, but on a long run can get over 30

i'm in a similar situation to you in respect of finding super, so tend to run 95 and 99 alternate half fills ( which in my crude mind would average out at 97 ? Ron)

my two pennies worth

ps

by the way Black Rose is the best colour :p:lol:

Edited by ioneabee

Rural North,Mid or South Wales?

My V-Power round trip in Rural N Wales is 35 mile. (sometimes 45 because of extras :teeth: )

You really do just get used to the petrol filling thing.

As G Man says when her light comes on, you probably have 18 to 20 Ltrs left so about 100+ miles.

And as Ebized says you can have 'multi maps' so one for 95 etc.

Have a word with Mark at Abbey MS or Jez at Horsham Dev. (both respected traders on here)

My V-Power round trip in Rural N Wales is 35 mile. (sometimes 45 because of extras :teeth: )

As G Man says when her light comes on, you probably have 18 to 20 Ltrs left so about 100+ miles.

Have a word with Mark at Abbey MS or Jez at Horsham Dev. (both respected traders on here)

Rural N.Wales. I'm at Trawsfynydd.

The new 370 can be run on 95ron I'm sure I read somewhere abbey saying that the 70 allows for knock where the old 350 didn't. If its an issue you can get small bottles of octane booster. You could run it on 95 and keep bottles of octane booster in the boot, and just drop a couple in when you fill up.

Local to me then. :lol:

I'm just outside of Corwen , and have friends living in Criccieth.

V-Power at Betws Y Coed for me.

Local to me then. :lol:

I'm just outside of Corwen , and have friends living in Criccieth.

V-Power at Betws Y Coed for me.

I forgot there was a Shell at Betws y Coed, that's a bit better, only 25 miles away. I was thinking the nearest was next to the A55 at Llandudno.

I'm not local to here, I'm from near Glasgow, however work at the power station in Traws. I know where you are though, drive towards Corwen on my way home. I'm assuming you must be near that American Ranch/Bison place?

Edited by Badgeronimous

Only 25 miles and some cracking roads. :teeth: The A470 is a little boring for a zed though.

Few miles up the road from there.

You probably go via Bala and at the lights on the A5 turn right down to the Rhyg Estate. (bison burgers)

If you turn left instead of right at the lights I'm a couple of miles up the A5.

So we'll see you at 'The Lord Morton' Chirk in May then. :lol: (have a search)

Only 25 miles and some cracking roads. :teeth: The A470 is a little boring for a zed though.

Few miles up the road from there.

You probably go via Bala and at the lights on the A5 turn right down to the Rhyg Estate. (bison burgers)

If you turn left instead of right at the lights I'm a couple of miles up the A5.

So we'll see you at 'The Lord Morton' Chirk in May then. :lol: (have a search)

I do indeed, and head towards Ruthin instead of going straight towards Corwen/Llangollen.

What was the snow like there yesterday? I opted not to risk it given the forecast, hence never got to test drive the car today!