Dan's Euro Jaunt - Day 11 p10 DONE!

Ekona

I do need some more of that, well reminded! :lol:

I also need to grab a toll thingy for the French toll roads. I wasn't going to bother, but I'd rather just pass through them as quickly as possible and more importantly, not eat into my stash of Euros that I'll definitely need for the Spanish side tolls. Time to hit the Sanef site, methinks.

I think you have to have hi-vis vests in the boot for driving on the continent, also warning triangles.

Sort of correct, they need to be in the cabin along with a number of other stuff. The AA website has a good guide on this but I'm pretty certain Ekona covered it earlier in the thread

I did ;)

Thought so; it was a while ago i read the first half of the thread but it's always worth bringing it up as it's things like that which will catch people out.

I'm pretty envious of your trip, looking forward to seeing pictures and video's

I think you have to have hi-vis vests in the boot for driving on the continent, also warning triangles.

Sort of correct, they need to be in the cabin along with a number of other stuff. The AA website has a good guide on this but I'm pretty certain Ekona covered it earlier in the thread

Actually, I think thats sort of correct too. I *believe* you can have them anywhere in the car so long as you have it on before exiting the vehicle. So they could be in the boot so long as you can get to it before leaving. I still stick ours within arms reach just to be 100% sure though!

• 4 weeks later...

16 days to go

Ordered my Sanef toll thing last night, very painless experience and should be here tomorrow, cost me about £35 to start with which includes a £20 refundable deposit on the tag itself. Also remembered to renew my EHIC which takes 10 days to arrive: I really hope that's not working days else I've cut it significantly fine!

I've also been running my HDH3 repeatedly, trying to extend the battery life as much as possible. Right now I'm getting about 2 hours in 1080/30 format which is fine, that's without Wifi on though. Can't see that being a major issue as I'll be running from a 12v source most of the time, and will only go battery for the external stuff.

The car is also booked in for a geo to my specs on the 28th, which is the day before I leave: I'm getting very good at leaving things until the last minute here! :lol:

Do you have the old EHIC card Dan? Should be fine using that if you get into trouble so long as its valid on the system. We went to the Med with out old ones one year, but didnt need to test out the theory fortunately!

I do, but it ran out in April. Tbh it's unlikely I'll need it even if I do have a need for it, as I've got private medical cover coming out of my ears, but even so I'd still quite like to have one.

Also just ordered a replacement credit card as mine has a massive crack down it right near the chip, been meaning to sort that out for a few months too :blush: It's the card I intend on putting 99% of my spending on whilst I'm away, so pretty critical it works!

Private medical will only cover what the EHIC doesnt, usual squirming out of it tactic. If you have the old EHIC the info on it will stay the same other than the expiry date IIRC, so still worth having as if you've already renewed but just dont have the new card they will be able to use the details :thumbs:

Make sure you tell your card issuer you will be away too, just so their fraud team dont think something dodgy is going on.

Yeah, I was going to do that when on the phone to them ordering a new card, but Jeff (or Rahjeshmahmadoul Billajowonga to his friends) was struggling just working out I wanted a replacement card, so I thought I'd give it a try another day ;)

9 Days To Go

My EHIC card came! :D Makes a nice change to get some good news in a letter from the NHS :lol:

I've also bottled it and ordered a larger battery for my GoPro in case the mains lead idea doesn't work, and another 32GB card for it too in case my one fails. Starting to get a bit jittery about it now, not because I'm nervous of the trip itself, but it's now getting to that time where if I've forgotten anything, I don't have time to order it. Probably should get a bag for my laptop, not the greatest idea to leave that floating around...

Must remember to remove the back seats from the car again too, literally just remembered that! More room to pack/shove/wedge stuff when packing comes. Also need to do a final big clean this weekend, please don't rain please don't rain please don't rain :sweat:

7 Days To Go

Battery Bac Pac and SD card arrived this morning, really cannot fault the guys at Dogcamsport.co.uk at all. The pac itself is massive, but it does come with another couple of back doors for the waterproof housing to allow you to attach it, plus I've got the other non-waterproof case for it too in the larger size. I'll charge it up overnight and then see how much I can record at once tomorrow. Be nice if I can do the full 3 hours.

I'm starting to panic a bit now. It all seems very close, and whilst it's only Spain and I've got the breakdown cover etc all sorted, it's a bit weird knowing I'm doing it all alone and there is absolutely no support for me there at all if anything goes wrong. Starting to wish I'd ordered more oil now too, but there's a 5L bottle of the stuff at work that my brother bought for his CR that I think I may be sneaking home with me.

Been checking the weather forecasts too, and while it looks like it'll be a dry weekend so I can get the car cleaned, it's going to **** down Tuesday when I have to take it for the geo :lol: Ah well, if I put 27 layers of wax on it might all just bead off. Looks like plenty of rain in Spain (on the plain) too, so my glorious summer trip is starting to dangerously resemble a wet weekend in Wales.

Top man :thumbs:

Just gone to start putting the route in the TomTom, found one slight flaw: I don't have Spain maps on there! :lol: Time for a quick download methinks.

Also TYRE is playing silly buggers, but I've had issues getting it to work with Win7 before.

Top man :thumbs:

Just gone to start putting the route in the TomTom, found one slight flaw: I don't have Spain maps on there! :lol: Time for a quick download methinks.

Also TYRE is playing silly buggers, but I've had issues getting it to work with Win7 before.

That does seem to be a bit of a flaw :surrender:

Just a smidge! Trouble with the older TT Go is that you can only have a few countries on there at once, and UK + France + Germany + Spain + Italy isn't one of the options sadly. Going with UK+FR+ESP+POR, that'll do me for now.

6 Days To Go

TomTom files are now all done. Have had to split the route up into two parts to fit all the waypoints in, but it looks like it's worked out quite well. I think the map I've got isn't exactly up to the minute, so some roads aren't quite running where Google says they are, but they're on bits that don't really matter too much. Although I've probably cursed myself saying that now.

The GoPro bacpac takes forever to charge up, like literally it's been on for 24 hours now and it's still not done. I suspect it's because I'm charging from USB rather than mains though.

4 Days To Go

BacPac is a success! 3 hours of continuous footage is now within my grasp, which will make life a lot easier. I charged it up overnight via USB, and it seems to have done the job this time so god knows why it took so long the first time. Very odd though, you cannot run the GoPro from the extra battery alone: It uses the bacpac first off, then the main battery. If you have zero charge in the main battery, then it won't turn on at all, even if the bacpac is full.

And yes, I'm up at 6am just to get stuff done today. Yay superhappyfuntimes