Heating Engineer

Daryl

Our boiler started to leak water a few months back, so had a look myself and wasnt happy to find that its obviously been leaking for some time, as there were large rust patches on the metal base of the boiler.

Didnt know if there were any Gas Safe heating and gas engineers on here that would be willing to give me a quote on a new boiler. Already had one engineer out to look at it, and he confirmed that its needs replacing. Also, most of our neighbours have had theirs replaced in the past year.

Looking to get it done by the end of the month.

Having had a new boiler fitted last year id certainly shop around. I found the prices and estimates varied wildly. Most expensive we had quoted was £4000, cheapest was £2500. Although this was to remove an old boiler, move pipework and supply & fit boiler in a new location.

In the end a mate who was corgi registered did it all for £1200. That incl a new boiler which cost £600 alone. One bloke reckoned it was a good weeks work, however my mate actually did it in 3 days on his own.

Assuming straight like for like combi for combi, you can get one for between £500 - £1000 (depending on size) and just fit it yourself, you don't need gas certs to work on your own property. It's a piece of cake to do if you're remotely handy with anything mechanical. :)

To get one fitted is a one-day job, about £1200 all in including a £600 boiler is pretty much bang on the money.

Assuming straight like for like combi for combi, you can get one for between £500 - £1000 (depending on size) and just fit it yourself, you don't need gas certs to work on your own property. It's a piece of cake to do if you're remotely handy with anything mechanical. :)

sorry Ekona - WRONG

you can fit it yes - but you CAN NOT touch the gas (this applies for removal of gas and refitting)

Edited by ioneabee

A quick google says yes, from April 2009. Oh well, bang goes that idea then! :lol:

You could still fit it all yourself (including the gas work) but just don't turn it back on until you've had a gas engineer out to certify it for you.

A quick google says yes, from April 2009. Oh well, bang goes that idea then! :lol:

You could still fit it all yourself (including the gas work) but just don't turn it back on until you've had a gas engineer out to certify it for you.

nope - you can't touch the gas pipe at all

so basically GasSafe plumber to disconnect, then you can play, then GasSafe plumber to re-connect and commission

Apart from the fact that it is prosecutable (jail time is also possible - but usually its a fine)

bottom line - who will know ?.......but I wouldn't, too high a risk

something goes wrong, say gas leak - house goes boom boom, best case, no-one hurt - insurance will not pay out

its sort of like putting cross matched ditch finders on (only worse) :lol::stir:

Edited by ioneabee

its sort of like putting cross matched ditch finders on (only worse) :lol::stir:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

And my favorite.

Sockets must be something like 950 mm off the ground. Just the right height for a toddlers fingers. :shrug:

so you have something to compare your price to ive just quoted for a job as follows.

Worcester 34cdi combi

wireless programmable time clock ( worcester plug in one )

scale reducer due to hard water ( may not need)

Magna clean ( also optional )

new rad valves

isolation vales for kitchen, outside tap.......

alter and tidy up all pipe work in boiler location

increase gas pipe size for boiler and run distance.

condense run

and power flush

plus pipe and fittings prob about 60m total

£2300

boilers vary in price massively due to size and make so it is hard to say whats a good price when comparing so many variables. i always install to how i would expect it to be done in my house. and all my work is word of mouth no advertisement. so i would hope thats a good sign on how happy my customers are.

Urgh. I'm another one in the broken boiler club. Some old boy's coming out to fix it tomorrow (hopefully) but I know full well that we're going to be needing a new one soon so if there's any corgi registered Zedders near Chester then let me know!

S.

Urgh. I'm another one in the broken boiler club. Some old boy's coming out to fix it tomorrow (hopefully) but I know full well that we're going to be needing a new one soon so if there's any corgi registered Zedders near Chester then let me know!

S.

corgi died a few years ago - its "Gas Safe" now :blush:http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/

I do indeed live in Milton Keynes. The system in my house is what the boiler called a "perfect" system,iv got a boiler and a tank, but not a traditional immersion tank. Dont know the proper name. Was quoted for a W Bosch boiler £1400. House is a detached 4 bed. At work at the moment, so cant get any more info.

Apart from the fact that it is prosecutable (jail time is also possible - but usually its a fine)

something goes wrong, say gas leak - house goes boom boom, best case, no-one hurt - insurance will not pay out

Why would they not? You have a cert of the works tested from the gas installer, it's on his head if anything goes wrong as he was the last one to test the appliance and pipework. Once he signs that bit of paper, everything is on him, no? No different from him getting an apprentice to do it and then he checks and signs off.

That's how I see it anyway. Tbh it's been years since I touched any gas, but that used to be the principle then anyhoo.

Hey Guys been away a while. Had some other stuff to deal with.

A boiler change should take at max a day if in the same location ie combi for combi or system for system. We fit commercial systems in 2 days with only 2 guys on the job.

Daryl, I've dropped you my email address :thumbs:

You can get a sabre boiler which is infact a vokera combi for cheap. All spare parts come from vokera.

I need more info as I think there is easier/cheaper permanent and temp solutions.

Cheers

Ps don't use a plumber, use a heating technician there's a difference, without being condescending.

Edited by Neilp

Why would they not? You have a cert of the works tested from the gas installer, it's on his head if anything goes wrong as he was the last one to test the appliance and pipework. Once he signs that bit of paper, everything is on him, no? No different from him getting an apprentice to do it and then he checks and signs off.

That's how I see it anyway. Tbh it's been years since I touched any gas, but that used to be the principle then anyhoo.

Agreed - but I was referring to if he did it without a GS man at all (and no sign off certificate)

Ps don't use a plumber, use a heating technician there's a difference, without being condescending.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: love this :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: my neighbour is a "heating engineer" but I always tell him he's a plumber :wink: