Gutted

Charlie

Well today I took my pride and joy out to do the shopping, set off and came across a puddle of water, held back and watched a couple of cars negotiate it ok, so set off, everything fine until some frikkin idiot ploughed through the water, and yes, my Z went a bit further and died on me. :-(

Have called the insurance company and they have agreed I can make a claim, but obviously at this time of year it's going to be a few days until someone can come out and see the car. All the lights, air con, etc etc works fine. Am totally gutted and keep telling myself it is only a car and at least myself and my daughter (who was in the car) are ok and it wasn't an accident.

Sadly I am not at all mechanically minded and the thought of removing anything on my Zed scares me silly. :blush: Hopefully the garage will call me on Monday and come have a look after Christmas. A few people have said it may dry out and be ok. Not holding much hope for that solution.

Your garage will probably do the above and let it dry for awhile and see if it's ok.

That would be ace if that worked. I have no idea whatsoever about cars. I just like to drive them, so if something goes wrong, I always fear it will cost me loads.

Where in the country are you? Just so people can point you in the direction of a good garage or can maybe help you. ( although tbh not likly at this time of year)

I am in sodden Devon, 20 miles from Plymouth. The insurance company have given my details to their approved repairer, and they are going to give me a courtesy car, did ask if they had any 370z's there. :lol:

there was another guy on here recently who had the same issue.

I would quickly go and check to see how wet the filter is? it could have been starved by the exhaust being blocked by water, and not water in the filter.

I doubt it would be hydro lock, but then I wasn't there and didn't see how much water there was there or where it went.

How deep was the water? the tidal wave caused by the other driver must had been huge to get water into stock air filter, but even a small amount of water on the AFM will cause the car to stall.

The crank trigger is nearly at the bottom of the bell housing this will get covered by water this maybe the issue as well.

Get the spark plugs out , crank it over to remove any water , then refit the plugs and try the car.

Any questions ask away.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies guys. The car was picked up last Thursday by the approved repairer. They said it will most likely be next week before I hear what is going to happen and the assessors report has been done. Couldn't help but think I wouldn't drive it again as it was taken away. The guy who collected it said it is unbelievable what is being written off lately.

So it is a waiting game now I guess. The wife has already got her eye on something different if it is a total loss. She can think again.

Thanks for the replies guys. The car was picked up last Thursday by the approved repairer. They said it will most likely be next week before I hear what is going to happen and the assessors report has been done. Couldn't help but think I wouldn't drive it again as it was taken away. The guy who collected it said it is unbelievable what is being written off lately.

So it is a waiting game now I guess. The wife has already got her eye on something different if it is a total loss. She can think again.

Fingers crossed, if not then there are plenty more Zed's in the sea.... :boat:

:sorry:

• Like 2

Even though I am a gooner, I'll accept your sympathy :wink:

Even though I am a gooner, I'll accept your sympathy :wink:

If I had known that I would have been MUCH more sympathetic :console:

:sorry: x lots

:winkiss:

• Like 1

Have a look at the thread I started on this. I did the same and the car is now fine. It didn't hydrolock but water somehow put the fire out. After the garage gave it the all clear, I spent some time drying out the interior as the body doesn't drain water out. I had to remove the seats and trim panels to lift the carpet to do this, but its all fine now. Overall it cost about £350, so if yours is similar, don't claim on your insurance, although its too late now as you have already informed them.

Trouble is IMO, if a garage knows it is an insurance job they will start totting it all up, ie replace full carpet rather than just spending time drying it etc etc, whereas a trusted local garage who know YOU are paying will try to keep costs down for you. If the engine is not fubar'd by hydrolock, I would seriously suggest stopping the claim and taking it elsewhere

Edited by Supratad

Have a look at the thread I started on this. I did the same and the car is now fine. It didn't hydrolock but water somehow put the fire out. After the garage gave it the all clear, I spent some time drying out the interior as the body doesn't drain water out. I had to remove the seats and trim panels to lift the carpet to do this, but its all fine now. Overall it cost about £350, so if yours is similar, don't claim on your insurance, although its too late now as you have already informed them.

Trouble is IMO, if a garage knows it is an insurance job they will start totting it all up, ie replace full carpet rather than just spending time drying it etc etc, whereas a trusted local garage who know YOU are paying will try to keep costs down for you. If the engine is not fubar'd by hydrolock, I would seriously suggest stopping the claim and taking it elsewhere

Thankfully no water came inside the car, it is just the engine. I have absolutely no idea of what to do when it comes to mechanical things, even though my father was a mechanic, it just doesn't interest me and if I start messing around with anything that will be the car knackered. It's only money, and the insurance can pay, I have never claimed in my life so this will be a first. Thankfully I am in a pretty good financial position to not have to worry.

Well, today was not the best for me. My beloved Zed is a total loss. Spoke to the garage this morning and the engineer came out on Friday and they told me the total cost for new engine etc is 16k. :yuck: So that looks like my time owning one has lasted 6 months.