London to Edinburgh on one tank (results p3 & p4)

ddcboyle

Ive driven this route about 6times in the zed, and always had to fuel up mid way even though the trip computer tells me i will be able to get there on one tank, it lies!After having an argument at work, that my zed shouldnt be able to do it because their car cant, i thought id give it a go.Ruislip (W.London) to Livingston (W. of Edinburgh), 428miles.Main issues are going to be traffic on the m40/m25, getting past that, it should be clear through the m6 unless theres an accident or floods. The next issue will be approaching the m8 through glasgow. Scotlands motorway is no doubt a dual carraigeway with a speedlimit of 70 which is never reached by either lane, with constant traffic.Anyone done this before? I will be recording it in hope of it being successfulEdit 1: [if average of 30mpg, i would use just over 14gallons14gallons converting to 63litres, with a fuel tank of 80litres, should have plenty to spare63litres at 1.40 for fuel, £88.20]Edit 2 [the way i will be testing is topping the car up to the max, recording the price i paid for fuel and litres, then driving to scoland and refilling the tank at the garage next to my house, again recording the price and litres. The garage topup in scotland will show how much litres i have used. I will then post what avg mpg i got on trip computer, and what mpg i got via refuelling the car]

Edited by ddcboyle

I've done 400 odd miles on a tank and the light came on about 2 miles from the house, realistically It would have done nearer 500 miles.

The Zed has a big tank so taking it easy and avoiding traffic it'd be doable.

Take the M6 toll to avoid Brum otherwise you'll be stuck in slow moving traffic and roadworks!

Good luck, sure it can be done. Turn your heater off, no lights etc and go for it :thumbs:

Is it actually true that electronics effect mpg? I see how it makes sense, since it drains battery and engine works more to recharge, just didnt think itd effect it that much

i know at 45 i get 38-41mpg but thats a lonnggg drive and probably illegal, so im thinking of just hooking on behind a truck at 56/60mph.

ive already tried cruise method, it uses less than ur own foot if ur not thinking about mpg and just thinking about staying at 70. but if u drive with foot on pedal and going neutral on a hill or when u see braking up ahead, you get a few hundred metres of free fuel.

ipod and beat headphones it is :p

Loving this thread. Wanna go back to Edinburgh at some point next year. One of the best cities in the UK. Would love to be able to do it for less than a ton!

Each time ive went home it cost full tank there (bout 90 as i never let light go on)+20/30 more. So hopefully, i get there without topping up AND the light doesnt come on :D

You'll get 450milea at 25mpg so you should achieve it, leave at 0530 from yours and you'll miss most of the traffic especially if you use the M6 toll, bit longer but worth it IMHO. Oh and sort your Zorst before you go :);)

Exhaust getting done this weekend :) hopefully. And aslong as theres no traffic or grannies doing 20mph, i should be getting 30minimum. Hopefully i can get that friday off work so i can head in the morning instead of rush hour london

if u drive with foot on pedal and going neutral on a hill or when u see braking up ahead, you get a few hundred metres of free fuel.

On down hills, leave it in gear, keep your foot off the clutch - let the momentum of the car turn the engine with a closed throttle. It uses less fuel (virtually none) compared to the engine having to fuel itself to stay at idle.

That is assuming your lambda probes work! It is the beauty of modern engine management systems that run closed loop fuelling when cruising.

The best I have ever achieved in the Z is 37mpg driving from Luton to Centre Parcs in Nottingham (with passenger and luggage) - I was cruising at 60mph with very gentle throttle input and lifting off well in advance if slowing down (rather than using brakes). It does take some effort planning lane changes etc though. The average soon dropped as soon as I drove slowly through Centre Parcs.. and the drive home was a bit more spirited, but still averaged 31 so was happy.

if u drive with foot on pedal and going neutral on a hill or when u see braking up ahead, you get a few hundred metres of free fuel.

On down hills, leave it in gear, keep your foot off the clutch - let the momentum of the car turn the engine with a closed throttle. It uses less fuel (virtually none) compared to the engine having to fuel itself to stay at idle.

That is assuming your lambda probes work! It is the beauty of modern engine management systems that run closed loop fuelling when cruising.

The best I have ever achieved in the Z is 37mpg driving from Luton to Centre Parcs in Nottingham (with passenger and luggage) - I was cruising at 60mph with very gentle throttle input and lifting off well in advance if slowing down (rather than using brakes). It does take some effort planning lane changes etc though. The average soon dropped as soon as I drove slowly through Centre Parcs.. and the drive home was a bit more spirited, but still averaged 31 so was happy.

Ive always found the car slows too much when you keep it in gear, i.e. sliproad coming off dual/motorway, if its a long one i stick it in neutral and gain speed going down the hill where as 6th gear brings it down some mph. If i can get 37 the whole way id be impressed. My initial goal was 40 but simply due to hitting the m74/m8 all being uphill more than down, i doubt ill get that.

Gear changes, take off in 2nd upto 18mph, 4th til 38ish then ive been putting it in 6th by about 38mph. Aslong as its just below 2k revs, going from 2nd to 4th it should hit just above 1k revs, few hundred above the idle revs

Pfff you should do that easily IMO. On the way back from the Jockland hoon we got over that out of a tank. Main considerations are driving at a constant speed and keeping momentum. Stop/start or any kind of on/off throttle will kill MPG and your chances. Make sure tyre pressures are correct also. Stick to the speed limit (or near enough) and you'll be fine so long as you dont get caught in a lot of traffic.

EDIT: Keep it in gear also when slowing down, anticipate traffic conditions and change lanes when you need to without having to speed up or slow down, keeping as constant a speed as possible.

Wasso has seen what happens when you follow the master ;):lol:

6th at 38mph I think thats your problem, change gear when the engine tell you not when you think you should....

I only change up to 6th at 60-70mph it has been discussed on here many times but changing gear at too low revs is NOT economical especially in a Zed, 2k revs minimum, ideally 2.5k revs....

I am pretty sure my Zed would stall if I put it in 6th gear at 38mph :scare:

i might try that app

regarding the gear changes, some were saying changing gear too early, when i changed normally (when it felt right), i didnt get much mpg, where as changing earlier i did. not sure if thats because i relied on trip computer to tell me mpg and maybe it got confused?

i might try that app

regarding the gear changes, some were saying changing gear too early, when i changed normally (when it felt right), i didnt get much mpg, where as changing earlier i did. not sure if thats because i relied on trip computer to tell me mpg and maybe it got confused?

The trip computer is never far off for me, you do have a UK Zed that has the 80ltr tank yeah......

If you have then on a long run like this you should get 500+ miles to a tank easy, thats not even 30mpg, I get that on a 50 mile trip to Surrey :shrug: