Milage - What would you do?

Aliensurfer

As a few of you may have seen last week, I've just picked up my Zed and loving it, but have a dilemma.

I travel a lot for work and while work pay for my fuel, it does mean sticking milage on the old girl and she's only got 47k on the clock. I've being looking into hiring a car instead for a long trip I have next week and put a few figures together.

I get 34p per mile from work and my trip next week Mon-Fri is around 920 miles

920 x 0.34 = £312 - This is the amount I will get from work for my trip

920 / 20 (Assuming 20mpg combined in the Zed) = 46 Gallons of fuel used on the trip

46 Gallons = 209 litres

209 x £1.44 = Total fuel cost for the trip will be roughly £300 depending on price of fuel on my travels (Assumed £1.44pl Super Unleaded)

So while my costs are paid for, I'm putting nearly 1000 miles on the car together with the general wear and tear on tyres, brakes etc.

OR,

I could hire a chug chug from the local hire place which does around 40mpg combined.

23 Gallons of fuel = 104 litres

104 x £1.40 (Again, assuming diesel price here) = £145

£145 + Car hire of £120 = £265

Saving money on the fuel as well as milage on the car..

Have I done my maths right? Because writing it out seems to suggest that hiring car would be the best, but boring, option

Hiring a car is the sensible option, due to putting unnecessary miles on the zed and general wear and tear as you say.

But as you have only just got it you probably want to drive it all the time as i did and you might get a few miles up the road in the hire car and think 'wish i'd brought the zed'

If you think with your head then hire one, if it's your heart, take the zed, lol :unsure:

its what the zed was designed for, its a GT cruiser, comfort for long distance with the power to overtake with ease. its not a ferrari so mileage won;t affect the resale. and some people if driving sensible can easily see 30 mpg. some as high as 35 mpg. but thats granny driving.

i see 25 mpg at the moment from my V8 so the zed should be a lot better.

On the motorway the zed is capable of low to mid 30s

If your car is low or average mileage for it's age then do the journey in your zed. If its high then I could understand getting a hire shot

If this is a one off trip then do it in the zed. If it will be regular then consider hiring or getting a shed

I've recently started using my zed for work trips, and you'll do a lot better than 20mpg!

On a motorway run i get 33mpg without trying really... just think ahead and try not to touch your brakes.

On 2 separate runs to Norwich and back i've managed 36 mpg, but that is all single lane A roads at 60mph for 360 miles.

Use the following website to work out your fuel cost:

http://www.fuel-economy.co.uk/calc.shtml

Its sad, but i have a spreadsheet with all the locations that im likely to have have to drive to for work, and how much it will cost if i take my zed or my other car, so before making the trip i can check which one will work out best.

Diesel is more expensive than petrol, but youll be best looking at the premium petrol for your zed. Id say hire car if its a boring drive. The more you drive your zed, the more your tyres, brakes and discs will wear out. If hire car equals same price, u arent paying random extras

Thanks guys, really good to hear what other people are getting rather than just me checking corporate websites.

Seeing people get up into the 30's is awesome; Just been told I'm doing a 300 mile trip to Cambridge and back today so I'll see what I can get to on that run and judge from there.

Thanks for the replies :)

Thanks guys, really good to hear what other people are getting rather than just me checking corporate websites.

Seeing people get up into the 30's is awesome; Just been told I'm doing a 300 mile trip to Cambridge and back today so I'll see what I can get to on that run and judge from there.

Every zeds different but mpg i get is

Round the streets average 30mph (22mpg)

Dual carraigeway at 55-60mph (40mpg)

Motorway at 70mph (33mpg)

• Like 1

If you bought the zed knowing you will sell it on, then keep the mileage down, or if you are like me and you bought it to drive, then take it everywhere!! Mines done short town runs and long 450 mile runs, ok I've put 2k miles on it in 2 months, but boy I've had fun doing it! :D

• Like 1

40mpg? I don't think so.

The only way I've ever seen 40mpg is when I've reset the guage whilst doing a steady 50-55 on a dual carriageway - as soon as you start varying for traffic, roundabouts and various other road conditions etc it soon drops back, but I would say a respectably 33 could easily be maintained

40mpg? I don't think so.

+1. For me to get 36mpg i have to feather the f*ck out of the throttle... it will be impossible to get any more than that!

40mpg? I don't think so.

+1. For me to get 36mpg i have to feather the f*ck out of the throttle... it will be impossible to get any more than that!

Definetly was 40mpg, drove half way to scotland, refuelled up and worked out as that. Mind u it was 2am in the morning but aslong as u dont put ur foot down, and on a long hill to roundabouts, just release out of gear and let cars weight take you down.

If your driving early hours of the morning, give it a go.

I do drive early in like Marzman mid 30s when really trying. My 172 would just about manage that.

I do put it in neutral each time i come to a hill, bit of a boring drive like. but obviously if you reset the trip computer at a hill, youll see it goes upto like 67mpg or whatever random thing it reads, so as your driving, all its using is the actual engine running.

Worth doing just to see what you can get out the car, but as soon as you have a car behind you, you feel impelled to use some fuel

If you bought the zed knowing you will sell it on, then keep the mileage down, or if you are like me and you bought it to drive, then take it everywhere!! Mines done short town runs and long 450 mile runs, ok I've put 2k miles on it in 2 months, but boy I've had fun doing it! :D

I did 22k in the first year I had my Zed :blush:

Makes me chuckle when I see posts from people who have done less than that in 5/6 years but are 'experts' on everything Zed related :stir:

• Like 1

I did 22k in the first year I had my Zed :blush:

Makes me chuckle when I see posts from people who have done less than that in 5/6 years but are 'experts' on everything Zed related :stir:

+1. :lol:

• Like 1