Car feels slow... what to check

marzman

Hey guys...

I've been meaning to post this for a while... basically, my zed feels a bit slow, like it might be running down on power a bit? It feel slower than it used to from 30 to 70, regardless of which gear its in?

I cant say for sure that it's slower as it might be all in my mind, but im not sure...

I've just passed 45k miles this week, and the oil was changed less than 4k miles ago. Its only ever been run on super unleaded.

The engine is totally stock, no mods at all. The air filter appears clean but i've not replaced it in the last year and it did come with a second hand airbox i bought, so it could be that?

The car itself sounds absolutely fine, and i did manage to wheelspin it going into 4th gear yesterday, so it's totally down on power.

I have however been struggling to keep up with some cars that i wouldnt expect... a diesel X5 yesterday was hassling me, and mondeo's and Passats etc seem quicker than they used to... :blush:

Any ideas what i can check, if anything? Or do i need to get it on a Dyno?

Shame I just sold mine, you would have been more than welcome to have driven it and compared. Perhaps because you,ve been driving it more you've got used to it? No fault codes showing or stored I presume, so can't be anything serious. Dave suggested clutch but i'm sure you would know if it was that. Only real way to be sure is a rolling road. There is a guy in Congleton who does a lot of rally cars.

http://jc-webs.co.uk/mikeanics

Anyway, hope you get it sorted.

Nope definitely not the clutch, but handbrake... yeh maybe :lol:

Hey Leon... yeh thats a bummer that would have been useful to drive another. Didnt know about the place in Mongleton so might check that out... the only place i could think of taking it was Ears? I've never been there before so i dont know if they charge a lot, or whether they have a RR though...

To be honest im probably not going to get anything checked within the next month as works too busy, but i'll try to get it booked in.

In no way a zed expert but would think of things like, dirty MAF, blocked cats, plugs knackered. Is fault light on

Thanks... no fault lights are on and the engine runs perfectly well... no stuttering or lumpy idle, and a reasonably linear power delivery, so I think the MAF and CATS will be fine. I need to check actually whether the plugs have been changed at all... i'd imagine they have given the impeccable service history with the car but i dont know, and im approaching the mileage required for their first swap.

It only feels like im a bit down on power, like im making 230-240 bhp or something, but like you say Leon it might be because im driving it more than i have done in the past. :shrug:

Don't rely on service history...

Found out mine is 33k 06 plate, with full Nissan history once a year (sometimes twice) and they've told me they have not been changed, nor are they due to be scheduled to be changed.

Car is at 35k now, but seems to run fine...

Edited by ThriftyFifty

Don't rely on service history...

Found out mine is 33k 06 plate, with full Nissan history once a year (sometimes twice) and they've told me they have not been changed, nor are they due to be scheduled to be changed.

Car is at 35k now, but seems to run fine...

Plugs are changed at 45k or every 5 years, so yours should have been due last year.

Im not sure if its just trips or just JDM's but if you have been driving slower for a while it seems to wind back the power. But after a session of limiter kissing its back to normal and all sprightly.

Thats what it feels like.

I know the old beemers used to have a self learning ECU which adjusts performance to your driving style and i had wondered whether the zed is doing that, but i've never heard of them having that ability so im doubtful its that...

Your right foot!

You know what thats just reminded me... recently i've noticed that my foot has been flat to the floor on a couple of occasions when pushing on, which i've never noticed having to do before....

Could a throttle position reset be required?

Im not sure if its just trips or just JDM's but if you have been driving slower for a while it seems to wind back the power. But after a session of limiter kissing its back to normal and all sprightly.

Thats what it feels like.

I know the old beemers used to have a self learning ECU which adjusts performance to your driving style and i had wondered whether the zed is doing that, but i've never heard of them having that ability so im doubtful its that...

It definatly does on my car. After a while the thorttle changes to be more laid back and sensitive. 99% of the time I hardly even press the pedal just rest my foot on it. Then when its been hot for a week or so the pedal seems to have more control rather than on and off.

A reset couldnt hurt tbh.

Just another thing worth looking into.

Check the diff is ok as well, a friend had an issue in a BMW. He had a new diff installed as the old one was just worn (iirc) and he said it felt like a new car afterwards.

So it's just something to bare in mind.

colder air is more dense, so should actually give better performance compared to that of a hot day.

Don't mean to hijack your thread but i have a partially related question that i've always wanted to ask.

When the engine is cold has anyone noticed that the zed is a lot slower and the induction noise is a lot more aggresive? dunno if it's just my car or what, it's a 53 JDM.

I found you need to drive her 'vigorously' for a while - just doing it for 5 minutes won't do it - but after a nice session she'll feel MUCH better.

(I did 4 laps of Nurburging over a Friday afternoon and then Saturday morning - and she felt absolutely on fine form after this, much more responsive and alert. Of course, you need to find somewhere legal to really give her this blow - needs to be not on normal roads! )