Car feels slow... what to check

marzman

Are we talking cross purposes here?

colder air is more dense, so should actually give better performance compared to that of a hot day.

Don't mean to hijack your thread but i have a partially related question that i've always wanted to ask.

When the engine is cold has anyone noticed that the zed is a lot slower and the induction noise is a lot more aggresive? dunno if it's just my car or what, it's a 53 JDM.

Are we talking crossed purposes here, he actually refers to poor performance when the engine is cold not when the outside air temperature is cold, well that's the way I read it :shrug:

colder air is more dense, so should actually give better performance compared to that of a hot day.

Don't mean to hijack your thread but i have a partially related question that i've always wanted to ask.

When the engine is cold has anyone noticed that the zed is a lot slower and the induction noise is a lot more aggresive? dunno if it's just my car or what, it's a 53 JDM.

Are we talking crossed purposes here, he actually refers to poor performance when the engine is cold not when the outside air temperature is cold, well that's the way I read it :shrug:

You read correctly :D

A Zed engine is only ever cold for a couple of minutes, even when it is -10 it only takes a few minutes before the oil is up to temp...

You read correctly :D

sorry lads, my c0ck up,

on start up the car runs in i think open loop, and switches to a close loop when up to temp. oil is also cold in both the engine and gearbox. once up to temp it all works a bit smoother. i would expect that while the engine is not at temp and still on an open loop that it might be a bit slower and less reponsive.

as for open loop its like driving with the choke out.

welcome to do a side by side with mine Chris :)

Thanks Mike... drag race at the next KK meet it is then!

I might try going for a blast in it this weekend then... i've been using it for work for the last few months and trying to drive as economically as possible (managed 36 mpg on a 400-mile round trip to Norwich the other week, on A-roads all the way!

So it sounds like a hoon might get things back to normal a bit. :)

The car itself sounds absolutely fine, and i did manage to wheelspin it going into 4th gear yesterday, so it's totally down on power.

Surely if there is enough power to spin the wheels in 4th she cant be that poorly????

Sorry, must have been a typo - i meant its NOT totally down on power!

Like i say, it just feels like its lost 15bhp which could be down to it's age, or im just getting used to driving it more, or it may all be in my head.