little general info required for Oil please :)

stu1986

Hi all

I have flicked through the maunal but cant really find a definitive answer to my questions wondered if you could help.

1: what type of oil grade and make is prefered?

2: when is the best time to check the oil? e.g. engine cold warm etc

reason I ask question 2 when I had my S2000 the best time to check the oil was once the engine was warm, you waited 5-10mins after a drive and wondered if this is the same is a 370z?

Regarding the SM: Before starting engine, put vehicle horizontally and check the engine oil level. If engine is already started, stop it and allow 10 minutes before checking (it is better to check engine oil level when the engine is warm so check it 10 min. after stopped).Regarding the grade 5W30 is recommended by Nissan.

370zi.jpg

I use Mobil 1 or Motul but all good brand ok, I hope this help :)

Edited by KaizerMotor

• 4 weeks later...

I was going to supply my own oil, but when checking with a few suppliers on here, they all said as it was still under warranty I should stick with what dealer recommended. Something to do with some complex oil specs defined by the manufacturer and that supplying your own oil might not meet these spec's and could then in theory be used as a get out of jail card for a warranty claim

Turned out they use Mobil 1 anyway .... for the 370z and GTR's

As mentioned above, 5w30 is the recommend, but looking at the temperature ranges for alternatives a 40 weight should be fine also.

Until 25th November Costco is doing 4 litres of Castrol Edge 5w30 for £24 incl VAT!

If you prefer Mobil 1 they also do 5 litres of 0w40 for £29.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all! Sorry I've been away so long - lots and lots of work that got a bit out of hand! Anyways, I'm back now :D

to hijack this thread. :blush:

I'm after a bit of help with the 370Z Service Pack I won at last years' Wales meet - the oil (genuine Nissan, 5W30) is marked as 'DPF' (vehicles with a Diesel Particles Filter) and features the text "Nissan genuine motor oil formulated & exclusively approved for Nissan diesel engines equipped with Diesel Particles Filter (D.P.F.)" on the back..! For obvious reasons, the service guys at Middlehurst Nissan refused to use it during my car's first service. Jez at Horsham Developments passed on this message from Nissan:

"You are right the 5w30 is the same oil we use in 370z unfortuaty Nissan put DPF on the tin .

The tec spec for 370z is

Genuine NISSAN engine oil, API grade SL or

SM,

This is the same as the "dpf"oil"

Does that sound right? Obviously, I'm not questioning what Jez was told, rather whether it's correct! I'd need to be strongly reassured that it's ok to put this oil in the car before it ever got near the Z again! At the same time, I'd rather not throw away my raffle prize! You can see the 'DPF' marking in green in the product photo on Jez's site: http://www.h-dev.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=78_169_293_1418&products_id=25500

Any info/help/input much appreciated!

As far as I know Nissan modified the 5W30 oil to a LOW ASH type so it can be used in the new turbo diesel engines with particles filter and that's why it's shows D.P.F. on the tin. This oil still can be used in any other engines where this grade (5W30 fully synt.) recommended like the 350Z or the 370Z. (I'm only going by Nissan's technical bulletin back in 2006 when they introduced the 5W30 DPF oil, I hope this helps.)

Mike

The oil was supplied by Jez of Horsham Developments - it was actually a prize that I had one in the "Guess the weight" competition that Jez ran but I decided to donate to the prize list.

So If Jez decided it was suitable and think we can all rest easy that it will be absolutely fine in your 370. :thumbs: