Scream if you want to go faster!

evilscorp

Update, have some time off over the next few days so hopefully the weather stays good so I can work on the car.

Have been babying the car (when I get the chance to drive it) as the filter is manky and has never been cleaned :scare: I had always wondered why everyone else did not have nice straight fins on their filters... due to it needing to be crushed to hell to get the dam thing out lol.

IMAG06861_zpsnevt8hdo.jpg

So this is what I started with, smart me put the worm gear clips facing the ground and was not in the mood for laying on the ground to take the undertray off, so much fiddling with an 8mm spanner got them off.

IMAG06811_zpsxn6o6rfj.jpg

Then it was on to relocating the temp sensor and horns as the new intercooler wouldnt fit.

IMAG06831_zpswl7n6low.jpg

IMAG06841_zpsu6q0eotm.jpg

No shaft play, bit of oxidation but no powder.

IMAG06871_zps7ew6tyny.jpg

This wont work :dry:

IMAG06881_zps3bomntup.jpg

Bit of steel pipe and some cutting.

IMAG06891_zpscvwr4wdf.jpg

I will need to buy another 30* angle silicone hose to allow the new K&N to fit above the intercooler, might need to shave a bit off the rad surround and the bonnet so it closes also I think I may loose my bonnet holding upper rod thing or have to cut it an inch shorter so it doesnt hit the silicon pipe. The alu rad surround plate thing that I have will need cut so it doesn't foul either.

IMAG06901_zpsftmgdg8w.jpg

The wife wasn't happy when I used her hair bobbles and food bags to cover the exposed ends of pipe work (I thought I had elastic bands, honest!)

Also noticed the bolt holes don't line up well with the crash bar, not sure if the black front rad surround is slipping down as its covering the holes slightly so I couldn't get the bolts tight (didnt want to cross thread the buggers).

IMAG06911_zpsu3cpoiji.jpg

Need to shorten the supercharger pipework to fit the new intercooler as they are too long at the front, that or get new thicker ones made :headhurt:

Edited by evilscorp

Wasted a few hours trying to find the best location for the horn's, so ended up using the front bumper bracket,

IMAG0692_zpsmbdjd2bq.jpg

Had to file away some of the bracket so the original metal plate would lie flush, then made a longer alu plate to attach the other horn as it was just too short to attach to the first horn.

IMAG0693_zpszvot2snz.jpg

Also I did a bit of measuring for the intercooler, to see how much I will have to cut off the supercharger pipe work. Might try and get up before my shift tomorrow and have a go at making the new brackets for the intercooler, still undecided if I will use aluminium or steel for the bracket as its heavy :stretcher:

Also this came a few weeks ago, another attic filler.

IMAG06801_zpsuatcugt7.jpg

Just need an engine with some big end damage and a few other parts to complete the set.

I have amassed a large amount of stickers over the years so will probably end up sticker bombing my rear boot strut brace.

Edited by evilscorp

Rain, rain go away, come back another day!

Was going to cut the old supercharger pipe work but with them in situ, the front of the car can get a bit wet even with the garage door angled down, but have decided to see if 3" pipework is viable throughout the engine bay....

If any one knows if its possible chim in, might place an order for a long bit of 3" alloy pipe and take it to a exhaust shop to copy the original pipework.

Instead I found the old oil container sheet steel and began grinding the rust off and gave it a quick primer (the yellow mess is a paint pen giving me an idea how much I actually need and where the rust was removed properly.

IMAG0694_zpsxiolrfng.jpg

IMAG0695_zps5w28ilio.jpg

IMAG0696_zpsi0kauqd8.jpg

Boring, but if I had used alu it would have been quicker but probably not strong enough.

Edited by evilscorp

This steel must have been used in bomb shelters! Took the whole afternoon to bend and cut this, would have been a lot quicker if I had use of a big vice :dry:

IMAG0700_zpsomnh1ubs.jpg

IMAG0701_zps8rthjocs.jpg

Needed to use an old traction rod to start the next bend :blush:

IMAG0702_zpsjyjivf2u.jpg

I have decided only to use the steel on one side, Aluminium will do fine on the other since it is less complex, i.e. one bend into an L shape, wont need to be as stiff.

Even drilling it is a nightmare, still have one bend to do but will cut the old pipes and bolt it to the rad support before I make it so the positioning is correct.

IMAG07041_zpscsuqrz85.jpg

Now I need to find some imperial bolts :wacko: as no doubt the intercooler is threaded that way.

This wont fit :lol:

IMAG0705_zpsm4nozbwj.jpg

Trying to cut the pipe in situ, then thought to myself, Do you think you can get all the metal shavings out :blush: Also saw-zaw wasn't long enough.

IMAG0707_zpskbtswdia.jpg

Such a shame to do but if I do sell the kit on (never happening) a couple of slightly longer hoses should still make this work fine.

IMAG0709_zps6mbodrx9.jpg

This is kinda what I am aiming for, just need to find some imperial bolts :wacko:

IMAG0710_zps4kunfcso.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yey! Got to drive her again! Nearly threw the toys out the pram getting there though :blush: didn't think the CAI would work as every way I tried or had planned to do didn't work and had cut some of the pipes already :angry: some how it fits, just....

IMAG0719_zpsjuyatfc6.jpg

sadly the bonnet prop didn't make the cut :surrender: neither did my cooling plate, but will sort them both soon.

IMAG0720_zpsu1iprcbs.jpg

IMAG0722_zpso53e4tuz.jpg

Hate my bumper, overtime shift on friday to pay for a new one.

IMAG0723_zpsofdtt4gm.jpg

• Like 1