hitting a post on the pavement

se350z

Actually, I wouldn't be quite so quick to own up.

Yes, get your Mum to tell them you were driving, but then wait and see. If you get invited down to the station for a chat, then YOU MUST TAKE A SOLICITOR WITH YOU. This bit is of course optional, but there's no way in hell I'd go down without one.

+1 on this, I'm not a big believer in 'little, informal chats' with the police, a sure fire way for you to chat yourself into trouble.

If it was my car and I was in that situ I probably couldn't remember who was driving 6 months ago, but that approach could mean dropping Mother se350z in it so maybe not an option.

Best thing you could do is post up your predicament on the Pepipoo forum as that's a dedicated site for points/parking/police.

Hope you get it sorted!

S.

thanks for the reply. i just called the officer who send the letter and spoke to her. explained the stuation she told me that my mum needs to fıll the form that they have send. afterwards they wıll be sending me another form or letter that i need to explain what happend exactly.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not quite right. They may send you a form asking you what happened, but you are under no obligation to tell them and by doing so you'll only incriminate yourself. If they want to question you, it needs to be under caution at a station and with the option of legal counsel. Doing anything else is utter madness and the quickest way to get major points.

What's the worst that can happen if you don't have a solicitor? You cough up to everything, that gets twisted into whatever they like and you end up with 6pts + a massive fine for leaving the scene and DWODCAA. What's the worst that can happen if you have a solicitor? They tell you not to say anything at all and it's up to the police to prove what you did wrong.

I have complete respect and faith in our justice system, I really do, but no way in hell would I cough up info freely in something like this. You seem genuinely remorseful and regret what you did, and you've been honest enough on here, so I doubt you're a complete idiot else we'd have all given you hell for it ;) Lesson learnt, why make life harder for yourself?

Firsty was there any damage caused to anything other than the car? If the post is not damaged then there is no need to report the accident and no offence to leave.

Secondly If there was damage to the post you have a duty to reported it to the poilce as soon as paracticable or at least within 24 hours.

Officers will want to speak to you regarding the circumstances and unless there is any evidence of driving without due care or careless driving and it is just a simple accident and the insurance is willing to pay or you personally then that should be the end of it.

You wil be reported for the offences or failing to stop and failing to report an accident and the facts will be submitted to a central summons unit where a decision will be made as to whether to prosicute or not. There is a time limit of 6 months to progress the report so it could be some time before this is finalised

A rough guide to possible outcomes if it goes to court are.

Momentary lapse of concentration or misjudgement at

low speed

Band A fine, Band A fine

3 – 4 points

Loss of control due to speed, mishandling or

insufficient attention to road conditions, or carelessly

turning right across on-coming traffic

Band B fine, Band B fine

5 – 6 points

Overtaking manoeuvre at speed resulting in collision of

vehicles, or driving bordering on the dangerous

Band C fine, Band C fine

Consider disqualification OR

7 – 9 points

And after reading all that (great post btw Rothers), do you still want to disclose everything and not bother with a solicitor?

well im definitely getting a solicitor...because ı dont wanna get any poınts.also one of my college friend ıs an officer, ı messaged him, ım waiting for his reply now... lets see what he says

My opinion on solicitors is based on experience with them at that level. It is however only my opinion and others will obviously have different opinions. From my experience not worth the time or money.

On another note, the police have obviously linked your vehicle to the scene of the accident Andy the specific incident, are there cameras in the area that will have caught he accident.

If it ends up in court the judge will consider what has happened before. If you go no comment or worse lie and video evidence disproves what you've said and shows it as lies then the judge can hold that against you in his decision.

The police already know your mums car was involved so I would suggest they probably have CCTV of it.

As I said earlier. Answer only questions you are asked and keep it brief.

wow, i think this is all being blown out of propotion,

it is not neccessary to ring the police after an accident unless other people were involved. and even then only really in the case of an injury. my wife was hit on a dual carriage way, we rang the non emergency line and was told unless someones hurt there was no need to come out.

it is not neccessary to ring the police after an accident unless other people were involved. and even then only really in the case of an injury. my wife was hit on a dual carriage way, we rang the non emergency line and was told unless someones hurt there was no need to come out.

Not true actually.....

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/nireland/ ... idents.htm

What must a driver involved in a traffic accident do

A driver involved in a traffic accident should stop whether or not the accident was their fault if:-

*anyone, other than themselves, is injured; or

*another vehicle, or someone else’s property, is damaged; or

*an animal in another vehicle or running across the road is injured; or

*a bollard, street lamp or other item of street furniture is damaged.

If you have to stop, you must remain near the vehicle long enough for anyone who is involved directly or indirectly in the accident to ask for details. This could be, for example, the owner of an injured animal, a relative of someone who is injured, or the police. The driver must then give their name and address, the name and address of the owner of the vehicle (if the driver is not the owner), and the registration number of the vehicle.

The driver may also have to report the accident to a police officer or at a police station, in person, as soon as practicable and in any case within 24 hours. This duty arises whenever the driver has not given their name and address at the scene of the accident, whether or not they were asked to do so.

As there was nobody else involved but road furniture was damaged, the OP should have contacted the police.

My other half had to pay (well, the insurance did) £3k for the replacement of the "Welcome to Woking" sign, which he took out, but it has never been replaced - wonder where the pennies went! Although slightly different to yours as he didn't leave the scene (he couldn't).

As above only answer questions you are asked, don't give them any opportunity to twist anything you say, as they will do it.

My other half had to pay (well, the insurance did) £3k for the replacement of the "Welcome to Woking" sign, which he took out, but it has never been replaced - wonder where the pennies went! Although slightly different to yours as he didn't leave the scene (he couldn't).

As above only answer questions you are asked, don't give them any opportunity to twist anything you say, as they will do it.

the post i hıt was about 2 or 2.5 meter long, and didnt have anythıng on ıt. so ıt was just a metal post on the pavement. the next day they removed ıt but they dıdnt replaced a new post.

I guess they may well want to know where were going and where you had been. They might make assumptions that you didn't report the incident for a reason.

A good mate of mine was banned for leaving the scene of an accident a number of years ago. He hit a pole at the side of the road and drove off. He left for a reason, the police couldn't prove this but the punishment he received reflected the punishment he would have got if the police had attended the scene.

There is a difference between having to report an accident and the police having to attend an accident.

A reportable accident is when The Road Traffic Act defines a reportable accident as:

Owing to the presence of a motor vehicle on a road an accident occurs whereby:

1. Injury is caused to any person other than the driver of that vehicle

2. Injury is caused to an animal other than an animal in or on that vehicle

3. Damage is caused to a vehicle other than that motor vehicle

4. Damage is caused to any other property or any construction fixed to, growing in, or forming part of land where road is or land adjacent to the road.

You are quite right in what you say about the police attending accidents but each is assessed on their own individual merit.

see i was unaware of this; so in hindsight when i had that accident all those years ago and wiped out the bollards and sign posts i should have reported it to the police. :blush: i think the insurance company must have done on my behalf. as i don't remember ringing them. :blush:

it is good that people are able to clarify it though

Mr Mrs is a copper and she said that somebody will have reported the incident or you were caught on CCTV at some point.

She said that the 'injured party' will be the council who will have claimed on their own insurance or even paid out themselves to fix/repair/remove/replace whatever was damaged.

She said that it's highly likely that as it wasn't reported that the police would issue a police caution and repayment of the cost to the council. She thinks it's highly unlikely that they would issue a sterner penalty, unless of course, they have video footage of you drifting with one hand out of the window at 100 mph in a 30 mph zone :lol:

Mr Mrs is a copper and she said that somebody will have reported the incident or you were caught on CCTV at some point.

She said that the 'injured party' will be the council who will have claimed on their own insurance or even paid out themselves to fix/repair/remove/replace whatever was damaged.

She said that it's highly likely that as it wasn't reported that the police would issue a police caution and repayment of the cost to the council. She thinks it's highly unlikely that they would issue a sterner penalty, unless of course, they have video footage of you drifting with one hand out of the window at 100 mph in a 30 mph zone :lol:

:lol::lol:

I doubt it as ı dont know how to drıft but the rear end dıd slıpped very bad on top of that ı couldnt control ıt as ım not a drıfter...lets see what happens..

I doubt it as ı dont know how to drıft but the rear end dıd slıpped very bad on top of that ı couldnt control ıt as ım not a drıfter...

It is rather hard to get the back end to kick out at 30mph unless the was a massive oil spill lol. Are you sure you were not giving it some beans around a corner? We have all done it... just not crashed into a pole

If there is no possibility of them having incriminating evidence against you (e.g speeding, drifting, racing, traffic light Grand Prix, hand brake turns) and it was purely an accident, then I'd just go and get it sorted sooner rather than later. I hate having stuff like this hanging over me.

If you tell the truth, and the truth is actually the truth, then you have nothing to worry about. It might cost you a few hundred quid but it's a lesson learnt.