MOT road brake test

gort

Nice one gort :thumbs: Mods, is it worthy of stickyness :)

+1 :thumbs:

My MOT place never had a problem with road testing, and knew about this. I guess it depends where you take your car and how competent the MOT man (or woman) is

• 7 months later...

Just had mine in for an mot and managed to stop the guy as he was about to stick it on the rollers, told him it had a LSD and he could damage it, to be fair he listened and took it up the road instead but afterwards when I spoke to him he said he was happy to test it either way and that the rollers shouldn't cause a problem, thought I may have upset him a bit but luckily it passed so all good, just a heads up that this is still happening!

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I always use rollers.

To my understanding if both wheels are spinning at the same speed then what's the issue?

The brakes engage together on the rear axle not at different times of each other do they not?

And its the brake application that stops the rollers!

So if both rollers run at the same speed turning both rear wheels simultaneous, and both wheels brake together then please enlighten me as i fail miserably to get my head round it.

I would have an issue if they did my 4x4 with the diff lock engaged, but that's completely different.

This is my understanding and of course I could be quite wrong.

We certainly did Haydens on the rollers last month!

Edited by 4RE Leather

I refer to your e-mails of 7th and 8th July 2011. We have dealt with this under the

terms of the Freedom of Information Act 2000.

You asked for the methods used at MOT test for testing the brake performance of

your vehicle. I can confirm that all four tests were carried out using a Roller Brake

Tester (RBT).

You also asked whether the fact that the vehicle has a limited slip differential fitted it

would be flagged up to the tester. This fact would not be drawn to the tester s

attention by the system as this information is not recorded on our database. It may

also not be obvious to a Nominated Tester carrying out the MOT test that a vehicle is

fitted with a limited slip differential. However the MOT Testing Inspection Manual

states at Section 3.7

Vehicles not to be tested on a roller brake tester

Certain vehicles should not be tested on a roller brake tester, e.g. vehicles

with

· More than one driving axle permanently engaged

· Limited-slip differential

· Belt-driven transmission

· Brakes for which the servo operates only when the vehicle is moving

These vehicles should be tested using a properly calibrated and maintained

decelerometer or a plate brake tester designated as acceptable for the

statutory tests. A roller brake test is also not appropriate for vehicles with

damaged, under-inflated or studded tyre

;)

I refer to your e-mails of 7th and 8th July 2011. We have dealt with this under the

terms of the Freedom of Information Act 2000.

You asked for the methods used at MOT test for testing the brake performance of

your vehicle. I can confirm that all four tests were carried out using a Roller Brake

Tester (RBT).

You also asked whether the fact that the vehicle has a limited slip differential fitted it

attention by the system as this information is not recorded on our database. It may

also not be obvious to a Nominated Tester carrying out the MOT test that a vehicle is

fitted with a limited slip differential. However the MOT Testing Inspection Manual

states at Section 3.7

Vehicles not to be tested on a roller brake tester

Certain vehicles should not be tested on a roller brake tester, e.g. vehicles

with

· More than one driving axle permanently engaged

· Limited-slip differential

· Belt-driven transmission

· Brakes for which the servo operates only when the vehicle is moving

These vehicles should be tested using a properly calibrated and maintained

decelerometer or a plate brake tester designated as acceptable for the

statutory tests. A roller brake test is also not appropriate for vehicles with

damaged, under-inflated or studded tyre

;)

It's all very well them saying don't do it but I want to know why?

So please can someone explain in plain English without looking up Doctor Google :)

Didn't even cross my mind that the Zed may have LSD until I read this thread back last year.

Think it's more a safety thing than it will cause damage to the diff of a rwd car with LSD as I have heard they can jump out of the rollers?! Never seen it but heard of it so I for one won't be risking my Zed or any other rwd car with LSD.

It's a definite no, no though to do it with a 4wd car with LSD as this can cause damage ~ more so because of the centre differential from what I understand, ...which isn't a lot. :lol:

• Like 1

I might stand up to attention after I put the quaife differential in, but I really want to know the reason why not.

I am quite surprised that so many say you can't but no one has yet come up with a plausible answer.

What makes it more of a mystery is 2 of the 3 MOT places I use the owner has a Zed lol

I might stand up to attention after I put the quaife differential in, but I really want to know the reason why not.

I am quite surprised that so many say you can't but no one has yet come up with a plausible answer.

What makes it more of a mystery is 2 of the 3 MOT places I use the owner has a Zed lol

Try typing it into google, ....this has been discussed at great length on Pistonheads, M3 cutters, MX5 owners etc etc Tbh it's probably been mentioned on pretty much every car forum ever since the internet began. :lol:

I always use rollers.

To my understanding if both wheels are spinning at the same speed then what's the issue?

The brakes engage together on the rear axle not at different times of each other do they not?

And its the brake application that stops the rollers!

So if both rollers run at the same speed turning both rear wheels simultaneous, and both wheels brake together then please enlighten me as i fail miserably to get my head round it.

I would have an issue if they did my 4x4 with the diff lock engaged, but that's completely different.

This is my understanding and of course I could be quite wrong.

We certainly did Haydens on the rollers last month!

Can't be 100% certain but the rollers are run one side at a time, it's only after they've tested each side they run the simultaneous test. You'd have to ask an MOT tester though.

Pete

• Like 1

As has been mentioned several times now on this thread. Since the MOT was changed several years ago to a pretty much computerised system (why it takes so long these days :lol: ) there is a warning to the operator about this that comes up on the screen. Although I always mention it just so they have it in mind and don't forget.

I think it's best to agree to disagree.

Until someone can come up with concrete evidence as to why.

I am not going on line to look it up either.

I have asked an MOT tester and they did not know the answer.

Only a number of guesswork probabilities.

I like these debates as they really stretch the imagination.

It's because, as Jetset has already pointed out in post 19, the rollers are run one side at a time before being run simultaneously. This can potentially damage a LSD (and any 4wd set up).

And don't rely on the computer flagging up your lsd to the tester. This info was in the 1st post:

"You also asked whether the fact that the vehicle has a limited slip differential fitted it

attention by the system as this information is not recorded on our database"

• Like 1