• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you find the oneX ?

:lol:

usually by putting my hand in my pocket :lol:

only kidding,

reception has been fine, i think some early ones had issues, but thats been resolved.

last droid update killed the standard mail app, but got the official hotmail app so all was fine. new update fixed mail issue, but now all of a sudden GPS is down. :shrug: but as it was a free upgrade i'm not to worried, and as i'm not GPS reliant it hasn't really bothered me.

yes i'm sure if it was an apple it would never have had these problems and would be perfect like the little baby cheeses (jesus) but i like the doid OS at the mo it just suits my needs. works great as my mail and PDA setup talks to my windows pc fine. and does all the stuff i need it to.

my last apple phone didn;t :shrug:

contract due in 18 months, and interested to look at new win8 to see if its decent by then.

iPhone 5 Sales To Exceed 8 Million During Launch Weekend, 46.5 Million iPhones To Be Sold In Q1 2013

As we’ve been reporting over the past few days, the iPhone 5 is selling like hotcakes / lemonade / gangbusters. Whether it’s technology enthusiasts, bloggers, cellular networks, or Apple itself, no one expected 2 million pre-orders in under 24 hours; it is an unmatched number in the smartphone industry. Now, the question is: will the iPhone 5 continue its momentum through the launch weekend, and further through the quarter? According to multiple analysts, the answer is a resounding “yes!â€

We’ll be discussing notes from two analysts: Gene Munster from Piper Jaffray, and Shaw Wu from Sterne Agee. Yesterday, Munster published a report in which he predicts that Apple will sell between 6 to 10 million iPhone 5 units in its launch weekend; using 8 million as a mid value. He cites two reasons for this. Firstly, the 100% increase in pre-orders for iPhone 5 (2 million) over iPhone 4S (1 million), and secondly, the fact that pre-orders made up 25% of total launch weekend sales for iPhone 4S last year, so they may translate into a similar figure for the iPhone 5 this year. I’m not a professional analyst, but the way things are going, sales of around 8 million units seem realistic. Wu from Sterne Agee looks beyond the launch weekend by predicting that sales of all iPhones will reach a whopping 46.5 million in the first quarter of 2013 (October 2012 – December 2012). With iPhone 5 selling out twice as fast as the iPhone 4S, iPhone 4 / 4S still being in demand, and Apple’s record breaking sales of 37 million iPhones in Q1 2012, this looks very much possible. In addition to this, Wu is of the opinion that Apple will sell 27 million iPhones in Q4 2011 – the current quarter.

The word around the technology blogosphere may be that the iPhone is a disappointment, but the fact is, an overwhelming majority of smartphone owners do not follow the rumor mill or follow media events as they get covered in blow-by-blow detail. They just see Apple announcing a new phone with a larger display, faster internals, improved design, support for super-fast 4G LTE and buy it because it’s the next “big thingâ€.

Mossberg reviews Apple’s iPhone 5: ‘The best smartphone on the market'

“I’ve been testing the new iPhone for nearly a week and I like it a lot and can recommend it, despite a few negatives, such as a new maps app that has one big plus, but other big minuses,†Walter S. Mossberg reports for The Wall Street Journal. “On balance, I still consider the iPhone the best smartphone on the market, especially with its staggering 700,000 third-party apps and a wealth of available content.â€

“In increasing the iPhone’s screen size, Apple took a different approach than competitors. It kept the same side-to-side width, yet added height to grow the screen from its previous 3.5-inch size,†Mossberg reports. “I found the new iPhone screen much easier to hold and manipulate than its larger rivals and preferred it. In my view, Apple’s approach makes the phone far more comfortable to use, especially one-handed. It’s easier to carry in a pocket or purse and more natural-looking when held up to your face for a call.â€

“The minute you pick the iPhone 5 up you notice it’s much lighter—20% lighter, in fact. It’s so much lighter that you wonder if it’s a demonstration mock-up, not the real thing,†Mossberg reports. “Yet unlike many competitors, this isn’t a plastic, insubstantial-feeling device. Although Apple claims it’s the world’s thinnest smartphone — 18% thinner than the prior model — the iPhone 5 retains Apple’s trademark, solid-feeling, metal construction, with an aluminum back this time, instead of a glass back. Like many Apple products, it’s gorgeous. â€Mossberg reports, “Apple has taken an already great product and made it better, overall. Consumers who prefer huge screens or certain marginal features have plenty of other choices, but the iPhone 5 is an excellent choice.â€

Purported iPhone 5 benchmark score doubles fastest iDevices, outperforms Android's best

A benchmark score logged on Sunday with Primate Labs' online Geekbench reportedly details the specifics of Apple's iPhone 5, with the new smartphone outperforming the average scores of every iOS and Android device on the website. The online benchmarking site reportedly logged a score of 1601 from an "iPhone5,2" that was running iOS 6 on a dual-core ARMv7 processor clocked at 1.02GHz with 1GB of RAM. While it is not impossible to spoof device identifiers, the specifications line up with previous speculation that Apple's A6 SoC boasts a full gigabyte of DRAM and leverages a an ARMv7 CPU with custom-designed cores. If legitimate, the iPhone5,2's score eked out the highest-performing Android devices, including the Asus-built Nexus 7 tablet and Samsung Galaxy S III. In comparison, no iOS device has surpassed the 800 mark, as last year's iPhone 4S netted a 631 while the third-generation iPad (CDMA) scored 734.

When the iPhone 5 was announced on Sept. 12, Apple Senior Vice President of Worldwide Marketing Phil Schiller said the new A6 chip doubled both the processing and graphics performance of the legacy A5 SoC. Also promised was an increase in battery life resulting in 8 hours of 3G or LTE talk time and web browsing. The quoted performance bump and increase in power efficiency lead some to believe that Apple's A6 would be a quad-core CPU built on Samsung's 32nm fabrication process, however Sunday's benchmark data suggests the chip holds only two processing cores running at a higher clock speed than the A5 processor. Although the exact configuration Apple is using to achieve the huge performance gains while improving on energy consumption is unclear at this time, a full teardown and analysis of the iPhone 5 is expected to yield answers this week when the device officially hits stores on Friday.

iTunes is awful. When it first started it was great, handled MP3s, sync your iPod job done. But now it's a mess, it wasnt designed to handle video, apps, books, multiple devices. Someone in Apple needs to be brave and kill it so that we can have something better and designed from the ground up to handle Apps and multiple devices...anyone here remember MobileMe before iCloud started?? The best thing about iCloud and iOS 5 is I've not needed to open iTunes for months.

As for the iPhone 5 going to give it a miss, glad Apple is still making plenty of money from it but my 4 works fine and cannot see the 5 offering anything new. Time for iPhone 6 predications to start....I'm betting on a complete new design using the 'liquid metal' technology Apple bought recently :D

For Android fans:

LG has confirmed that its next flagship smartphone, the Optimus G, will be releasing in the US sometime in November. LG officially announced and launched the phone yesterday in South Korea, and we even got our hands on it just to see what we’d be getting ourselves into come November.

The Optimus G features a 4.7-inch 1280×768 IPS display, Qualcomm’s Snapdragon S4 quad-core processor, 2GB of RAM, and a whopping 13MP rear camera. Unfortunately, it doesn’t run Jelly Bean, but here’s hoping that by the time it comes to the States, it’ll be ready for a Jelly Bean update. It’s currently running on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.

http://androidcommunity.com/lg-optimus- ... -20120918/

Purported iPhone 5 benchmark score doubles fastest iDevices, outperforms Android's best

A benchmark score logged on Sunday with Primate Labs' online Geekbench reportedly details the specifics of Apple's iPhone 5, with the new smartphone outperforming the average scores of every iOS and Android device on the website. The online benchmarking site reportedly logged a score of 1601 from an "iPhone5,2" that was running iOS 6 on a dual-core ARMv7 processor clocked at 1.02GHz with 1GB of RAM. While it is not impossible to spoof device identifiers, the specifications line up with previous speculation that Apple's A6 SoC boasts a full gigabyte of DRAM and leverages a an ARMv7 CPU with custom-designed cores. If legitimate, the iPhone5,2's score eked out the highest-performing Android devices, including the Asus-built Nexus 7 tablet and Samsung Galaxy S III. In comparison, no iOS device has surpassed the 800 mark, as last year's iPhone 4S netted a 631 while the third-generation iPad (CDMA) scored 734.

The Quad Core Samsung Galaxy S3 scores around the 1800 range on geekbench so this article is incorrect. It was probably referring to the US only Galaxy S3 which apparently has a dual core processor and not the quad core everyone else gets. Not bad for a phone which is 6 month older than the iphone 5.

http://www.itproportal.com/2012/09/17/b ... axy-s-iii/

For Android fans:

Stuff

Octet, what is this feeble info output, we expect MORE, MORE I tell you. Where are the specs sheets and photo's and data and words and hyperbole and other general bumf?

Joking by the way - as a great man once said, '"Less is more". What we actually need is less mate, lots less :lol:

Well the embargo on reviews is off. All US reviews are predictably gushing... Spiteful Apple doesn't allow people into launch events or give them review hardware if they're too critical.

UK reviews are more balanced:

http://www.t3.com/reviews/iphone-5-review

So, what to make of this latest upgrade. There’s no denying that the iPhone 5 is a lovely thing, and the best iPhone to date. It could well be Apple’s best-selling unit ever.

But a lot has changed in a year, and the current crop of Android superphones – and the incoming Windows Phone 8 handsets – have closed the gap. For nearly every “new†feature announced at the Keynote, there was a Samsung, Android, Windows, Nokia, Sony or HTC fan saying “my phone already does that.â€

Apple’s competitors never been closer in terms of quality, function and aesthetics and from your feedback on our social networks we know how many of you are jumping ship to phones with a bigger screen and more features.

Given that iPhone 4S users can upgrade to iOS 6 and do just about everything the iPhone 5 can do, and that Android users can get similarly impressive handsets for less dosh, we reckon the smart money won’t all be going on a new iPhone this year, even if the mass market can’t get enough of it. It’s good, very good. But it’s no longer the best around.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/iphone-5-1096004/review

Is it going to sell like hot-cakes? Of course. Will it send shockwaves shuddering through the tech world and turn competitors back to their drawing boards? No.

But, in truth, Apple will be well aware that it doesn't need to reinvent the wheel to succeed and, in this case, it has yet again provided a fine phone that will keep it battling at the top of the charts for another year.

Speaking about UK reviews, we all know the designer behind the iPhone it's Sir Jonathan Ive: :teeth:

Sir Jonathan Ive and entire Apple design team fly to London to collect prestigious D&AD awards

Apple has been named the best brand and the best design studio of the last 50 years at the D&AD Awards, one of the world's most prestigious prizes for advertising and design. Sir Jonathan Ive, the company's design guru, who usually eschews publicity, came to collect the awards, which were held at a dinner at Evolution in Battersea Park in London. Even more unusually, Apple flew in its entire design team from San Francisco in recognition of the importance of the D&AD Awards and all 16 of them - 14 men and two women - accompanied Sir Jonathan on stage to collect the award for best design studio.

Finder-20120919-162619.jpg

Finder-20120919-162642.jpg

Is it me or has all the shine gone off these things now? :shrug: The first iphone was exciting as it was different, the first mobile phone was exciting as it was different, the first blackberry was exciting as it was different, well you get the picture. :yawn: I think we are all too "used" to wonderful technology and become "bored" too quickly, we just need something different with a new novelty factor so that we can all become fans of it or hate it to death :bangin::bangin: Just my two penny worth :)

I'm the type of client that never forgets the service and the quality of the products at one time the seller sold to me :)

It simple, it's loyalty. Apple's iPhone 1 was out of this world and back then had set the standard in the industry. It has improved a lot together with the iOS and many other manufacturers had to keep up with Apple, some managed to do it, like Samsung, HTC, etc and others were fast approaching bankruptcy like Nokia, RIM, etc Even if on this occasion Apple somehow "failed" to super-mega-impress us again with the new iPhone, we must give them some credit for what the market offers today.

I'll stick to the iPhone 5, can't wait for delivery on Friday! :)

My 50cent! :lol:

Will iPhone 5 HD Voice work in the UK?

One of the new features coming with the iPhone 5 is HD Voice, unfortunately many will be unable to experience this new technology which requires that both parties have the necessary technology, that they are on the same network, and that the network supports HD Voice.

What is HD Voice?

It might be good to talk, but the reason why talking to someone on the phone is never as good as talking to them in person is that the human voice ranges from 80Hz to 14kHz while traditional telephone calls are only able to achieve audio frequencies in the range of 300Hz to 3.4kHz. HD Voice ups the audio frequency range from 50Hz to 7kHz or higher. The technology was developed by Nokia and VoiceAge. A few handsets have already been produced supporting the codec, including models from Nokia, Samsung, HTC and Sony.

What are the benefits of HD Voice?

There are a variety of benefits to users able to take advantage of wideband audio:

Sound quality is clearer

It’s easier to recognise voices and understand accented speakers

It’s easier to distinguish confusing sounds, such as close sounds like ‘s’ and ‘f’

You should be able to hear faint talkers and understand double-talk (when everyone is speaking at the same time)

Listening will be easier resulting in less “listener fatigue†and avoiding miscommunications and misunderstandings

It will be easier to understand talkers who are using a speakerphone or in the presence of background noise

It will also be easier to distinguish between individual voices on conference calls

If I get an iPhone 5 will I get HD Voice?

There are a number of reasons why you may not experience HD Voice with your new iPhone. Apple says it has 20 carrier partners ready to deliver HD voice as soon as the iPhone 5 is available. Unfortunately not all the networks in the UK offer HD Voice, however. To date it would appear that O2 hasn’t launched HD Voice in the UK. We are waiting for them to return our enquiry about this. The other factor to consider is whether the person you are hoping to enjoy a HD Voice call with has a phone capable of HD Voice, and whether they are on the same network as you. The only networks to offer extra-network HD Voice calls are EE, Orange and T-Mobile who are unified under the EE (formerly known as Everything Everywhere) umbrella. We contacted all the networks in the UK. So far we have only had confirmation back for EE that they will be supporting HD Voice on the iPhone. However, a look around the web uncovered details relating to HD Voice on the majority of carrier’s websites. We will update this story as more information becomes available.

Which Networks offer HD Voice?

EE - YES

Back in June 2010, Everything Everywhere announced plans to roll out HD voice calling throughout its network by the end of summer. “EE will be supporting HD Voice with iPhone 5,†was the response from the press centre.

Orange - YES

On its website Orange states: “Crystal clear HD Voice calls are what the mobile world's been waiting for...and they're here first on Orange†To date the following handsets have offered HD Voice on Orange’s network: HTC Desire HD, Nokia N8, Nokia E5, Nokia X6 16GB, Nokia 5230, Sony Ericsson Elm, and Samsung Omnia 7. An Orange spokesperson told us: "Yes, Orange will be offering crystal clear HD Voice calls as a feature on the iPhone 5. HD Voice technology means that making phone calls on the iPhone 5 will be a better, more natural experience, taking any strain out of listening and making yourself heard. In the street or at the station, or wherever customers are, it’s easier to have conversations in noisy environments because HD Voice makes it easier to hear and be heard. HD Voice also reduces background noise too, and all at no extra cost on the thinnest and lightest iPhone ever.â€

Three - YES

Three UK launched HD Voice calls onto their network at the end of May 2011, shortly after launch they were offering the Nokia C7, E7 and N8 phones, since then the company has added the Samsung Omnia 7 and the HTC Desire S. : “As HD voice calls are still new to us they’re only available between people on the Three network, and both the caller and the receiver need to have an HD Voice equipped phone,†notes Three. Back in June 2011, Three claimed that 15,000 of its customers were using its 3G network to make HD Voice calls every day.

T-Mobile - To be confirmed

According to T-Mobile, its new HD network enables 450,000 existing customers with HD Voice phones to benefit from high definition quality calls. “You can make HD Voice calls as long as you and the person you're calling are T-Mobile or Orange customers, with HD-ready phones and 3G signal,†T-Mobile say on its website.

Vodafone - In Ireland, UK status to be confirmed

Vodafone boasts that its HD Voice capabilities bring “crystal clear connections by enhancing voice quality and minimising background noise so it's easier to hear and be heardâ€, on its website. Vodafone offers HD Voice for the Nokia: N8, C7, E7, C3-01, X3-02, E6, 700, Lumia; and the Sony Ericsson: Xperia Arc (LT15i ), Xperia Neo (MT15i), Xperia Arc S ( LT18i), Xperia Mini Pro (SK17i), Xperia Ray (ST18i), and Xperia Play (R800i).

O2 - to be confirmed

As yet O2 has made no announcement about HD Voice. For now it appears the closet users can get to HD Voice is via it’s Skype like Tu ME service. TU Me app offers O2 iPhone customers a free way to make texts and voice calls, user will need a data connection or be near a WiFi hotspot.

Theres quite a few more Braun designs which look extraordinarily like Apple designs listed here....

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-br ... 012-9?op=1

big fan of Dieter Rams, he's one of the designers i get my A level design group to research, sadly very few pick him, i give them a list of about 20 influential designers covering a range of era's and design styles.

so far i've read 4 essays on starck and 2 on raymond loewry

its not like i didn;t give them any choices

20th Century American

R. Buckminster Fuller

Harley Earl

Henry Dreyfuss

Raymond Loewy

Art Deco

Jacques-Emile Ruhlman

Clarice Cliff

William Van Allen

Arts and Crafts