From nothing to something...

taras

As most of you know, I have sold my matte white HR roadster back in March 2012. This left an emotional and fun emptiness which no other car could fill. So, after long hunting, hungry for a great project car, I've come across a damaged 350z with low mileage and nice potential. The damage was to a O/S rear quarter, where the panel has deformed in few places, many underbody brackets bent, inside body panels in need of replacement, new bumper, lights, etc. No structural or chassis damage though :)

Since pictures always say more than any words, here's a small display of a process that took 4 weeks to complete (never fully completed though i guess :blush: )

20120704_203007.jpg

Arriving on a recovery truck to RT Performance bodyshop

20120704_210001.jpg

Looking very standard..

20120709_153529.jpg

All these damaged spot-welded panes have to be removed and replaced

DSC05283.jpg

DSC05288.jpg

It's amazing how far away from the point of impact the metal gets deformed

DSC05284.jpg

Not looking good... but nothing that can't be fixed ;)

DSC05292.jpg

Pulling with hydraulic jig in right directions for specific time brings the metal to place. Too much pull and you're in worse situation than before

DSC05303.jpg

All bends on rear quarter are nearly gone now

DSC05354.jpg

New panels welded replacing damaged ones

DSC05621.jpg

Successful use hydraulic jig and talented panel beater and you'll end up with minimal filler work :)

DSC05622.jpg

Time to de-badge the boot, remove the spoiler and windscreen wiper. All holes have been fibreglassed to create a strong base for the filler. If this is not done to a hole or large indentation (like a badge on front bumpers) then the filler will sink in eventually, leaving a nasty mark in bodywork.

DSC05673.jpg

"Z" badges have to go too. Also, indentations here to be fibreglassed first, to reduce amounts of filler needed. Welding is another option but we found fibreglassing to be a better way here.

DSC05674.jpg

Time to loose an OEM bumper and test-fit RT made Amuse style bumper. Fits nicely B)

DSC05676.jpg

Flushed means flushed, aerial has to go too! It has been relocated in a boot area, hidden under plastic trims

DSC05708.jpg

All filler worked parts are now ready for primer, together with RT made Chargespeed style rear bumper

DSC05713.jpg

All primed :)

DSC05782.jpg

DSC05787.jpg

Everything has now been rubbed down and masked up for a respray :bounce:

DSC05802.jpg

Not the matte look! After the second coat of paint actually..

DSC05812.jpg

Freshly lacquered here :)

DSC05829.jpg

DSC05831.jpg

I decided to go for black and grey theme so far, and the diffuser part of Chargespeed bumper together with a "mouth" of Amuse front were done in black.. Nice :)

DSC05936.jpg

DSC05937.jpg

Accident? What accident??? :)

DSC05856.jpg

DSC05857.jpg

Going on a ramp to apply under-body anti-gravel protection. Old exhaust has been removed to gain better access to hidden areas

DSC05861.jpg

New exhaust and de-cats arrived just in time! This kit is soon to be available from RT Performance at affordable price. I will post some clips of it in action later ;)

DSC05866.jpg

This was probably after midnight... :yawn: Luckily no bolts/studs snapped, so I was motivated to carry on

DSC05916.jpg

Mean if you ask me :evil:

DSC05892.jpg

Gloss black roof wrap to be added to the black&grey theme. Hexis stuff rules! :teeth:

This was latter complimented by dark shade Llumar window tints, can't find any pictures of it being done though :(

DSC05898.jpg

A big servicing stage... engine oil and filter, Cosworth panel filter, gearbox oil, rear diff oil, spark plugs, brake fluid, Hel brake and clutch lines, hydraulic fluids...

Huge thanks to ZMANALEX for efficient service once again :)

DSC05992.jpg

DSC05996.jpg

DSC05997.jpg

When changing spark plugs I noticed engine oil on some of them. Unfortunately this means rocket covers must be changed to stop oil leak into plug wells.

Whilst plenum was off, a quick call to Abbey and a spacer arrived next day. Thanks guys! :thumbs:

We also sprayed the plenum cover and throttle body in titanium silver for a fresher look

DSC06070.jpg

Now with the bumper fitted, exaust looks like it sound - ace!!! :teeth:

And finally some pictures of finished work (not fully finished actually, this is straight from the spraybooth, car still has to be polished when I give a rest having fun :teeth: )

DSC06187.jpg

DSC06188.jpg

DSC06189.jpg

DSC06198.jpg

DSC06203.jpg

DSC06207.jpg

DSC06214.jpg

DSC06225.jpg

The project continues and I will try to update this post whenever i get a minute to breathe. So far, next in line is a set of coilovers with adjustable front arms, anti roll bars, a remap, Rota GTR 19" rims, and a crazy a** wrap :teeth: we have some ideas in mind but not 100% certain yet. Any suggestions? :)

Will keep you posted. Thanks for looking guys :)

Taras

That looks well B)

I bought some Nismo spats which I was going to get you guys to fit along with my Strosek spoiler and some changes to my V2 front bumper but every time I see the Chargespeed rear bumper I want it more and more.

Expect a PM from me soon.

Great work :thumbs: