Winter Tyre Choices

Mikesding

I've had a quick search, and the fact it didn't return much suggests not many of you go for winter tyres?

I never have before, but ive also never had a 313 horsepower RWD car so was just wondering if it would be a good investment or not?

My zed is my only car so I will be commuting etc in it over winter, should I go for winter tyres? Obviously I'd rather you tell me summer tyres will be fine as I'm not sure I want to fork out for 4 winter tyres at all!

Let me know your opinions or experiences!

I survived last winter no probs on RE050A's, that included both wet and dry in very cold temperatures, as well as some around-town snow, so other than high-speed snow (which let's be honest you'd be stupid to try) I've thrown it all at them and as long as you drive to the conditions they seem to do the job fine. If I had a second set of wheels for winter to avoid grit corrosion then I might put winter tyres on them, but it hardly seems worth the hassle.

DB

My car was still on re040s when I bought it and they are not great in winter especially in cold wet conditions.

I had a few scares the first winter I drove it do I got a cheap set of standard 18s from a member on here and put some Kumho Izen KW27 winter tyres on. These are much better at cold temps and are a much softer quieter ride than the bridgestones. However the softness does affect the cornering ability and the car does feel like it rolls around on them a bit more in the corners. However, I was able to drive in the snow and ice in them with confidence and even made it up snow covered hills where others failed miserably.

I think they were a good investment as I only have the one car and our can be difficult to get out of my road in the winter.

Winter tyres are a million miles better than summer tyres. People don't realise this until they use them. Lat year wasn't to bad but the year before was quite bad. Winter tyres ment I could always commute 16miles to work safely. They really bite into the snow and give you amazing grip in snow. They are very good when wet too. Yes sidewalls are super soft but winter tyres are made of a softer compound plus who is pushing it in the snow :lol:

If I compare that to this year I took my winter tyres off in March but it snowed in April. That journey home was horrible butt clenching slow and if I has winter tyres it wouldn't have been too bad. I haven't used the 350 in the snow though. It's too low :lol:

Last winter was not a real 'test' for tyres but the previous 2 were when winter tyres would have been a big help.

If I were in your shoes and had to use the car as my everyday transport I would certainly opt for winter tyres and scale down the rim sizes - 17" will fit (with Brembos) to firstly help traction in ice and snow and secondly to reduce the tyre costs. ;)

Pretty sure I saw some 17" JDM rims advertised on here recently.

Where do you live?

Exactly the question I was going to ask.

Have you ever had any problems getting around in any car in the last 10 years in the winter? If the answer is no, then I wouldn't bother with winter tyres. If the answer is yes and often, then I wouldn't bother either as the Zed isn't going to make life any better. If the answer is yes but only a handful of times then you could consider it, but only you know if the cost is worth it.

Living in Essex, there has only been maybe 2-3 days a year where the weather has been that bad that winter tyres would've made a massive difference, so I don't bother. The cost is just too much to be worth bothering about,

I live in Suffolk and work at the Port Of Felixstowe, and my Zed is my daily driver.

After some spinning adventures in the winter on RE040's, I decided to get winter rubber, especially as I had a spare set of wheels to put them on it seemed the logical choice.

I had some instances where I couldn't even get off my own drive, but with winter rubber, no problem.

Running Nankang SV-2 in the winter, Falken 452 in the rest of the year.

On a side note (which will please Dan the Tyre Tyrant :) ), on my last trip to the Ring on the Falkens, I lost grip during after having done two laps with breaks inbetween them.

Now it was either me chucking the Zed in too fast or the grip levels had dropped off (most likely a bit of both :D ).

So since then, I have contemplated that for Ring Runs, I'll be investing into better rubber and running the smaller Rays rather than the 19"'s.

I know Dan, you have been saying it forever and I have agreed with it, but never really thought about it since I don't really track the car on a regular basis, but even for the odd trip to the Ring, yeah, deffo. Don't want to have a fun day ruined by having to have my Zed picked up by Ring Recovery :thumbs:

I ran Hankook Winter i*cept evo W310 on my Zed last winter and also on my previous FWD car the year before, both my only car and daily driver. Despite being at the milder end of the country I used to live somewhere with plenty of steep hills that had to be negotiated to get anywhere and having also tried Autosock with some success I can tell you that having winter tyres is a revelation in the snow and ice. :thumbs:

I switched from RE050A and back, standard sizes on Rays and yes they do feel a bit soft in the sidewalls initially and turn-in isn't so sharp but then when you're dealing with potholes, puddles, reduced visibility, idiots and just want to get to your destination you can forgive them. I also found that because they require no warm up the initial grip off the line and braking in the colder months was much better even in the dry and gives you a lot of confidence should an emergency arise.

If I didn't have to drive them in snow and ice then I think they may be hard to justify just for the cold weather benefits. However, second-hand wheels aren't that expensive and if you use them for two or three years then the tread saving on your summer tyres will obviously reduce your overall costs. :shrug:

I survived last winter no probs on RE050A's, that included both wet and dry in very cold temperatures, as well as some around-town snow, so other than high-speed snow (which let's be honest you'd be stupid to try) I've thrown it all at them and as long as you drive to the conditions they seem to do the job fine. If I had a second set of wheels for winter to avoid grit corrosion then I might put winter tyres on them, but it hardly seems worth the hassle.

DB

Iv'e done snow the last 3 years on REo50A;s with no issues, as long as you are sensible and take it easy you are fine. There is more danger of some numpty hitting you unfortunately :surrender:

Drove home in this earlier this year, hard to see how bad it was from the pic but the snow you can see was just what blew into the covered car park

0538DF48-BD0F-450F-917C-FE77C5BEA173-10142-00000C48E2E6292A.jpg

It appears that quite a few of us are on the 050A's

I 1st fitted them last December and not to impressed.

However they were new and so was I with the car.

They are getting better now but next time I will go for

something renown for better grip in Winter.

I am sure this post will get longer and winter experiences

will be added.

:thumbs:

It appears that quite a few of us are on the 050A's

I 1st fitted them last December and not to impressed.

However they were new and so was I with the car.

They are getting better now but next time I will go for

something renown for better grip in Winter.

I am sure this post will get longer and winter experiences

will be added.

:thumbs:

I heard yours slides around enough without any snow :stir: