Arran's Azure 350 GT, Exhaust autobahn video finally 9/10/14

Arran

• 3 weeks later...

Another update for the books, been busy ordering some more parts for when the rockers are replaced and the oil cooler installed, the weather has been woeful so its been put back til its ok so hopefully the first weekend of february is fine. Whilst completing the stockpile of parts for that some other things have taken my eye :lol:

Couldnt resist Tarmac's offer for the carbon mirror covers so snapped up a pair of those and fitted them today, look lovely i must say. First quick detailed the mirrors clean then gave them a wipe down with IPA to make sure the surface was properly clean.

20140116_125017_zps6dd36621.jpg

20140116_114043_zps3502a29f.jpg

20140116_130549_zpsb1c5c182.jpg

Think they tie in lovely with the gloss black roof and front bumper bar

Decided to order the Z1 Motorsports silicone breather hose kit in blue, as chances are the oem hoses will be all gunky so may aswell while im there

20140116_193026_zps41f96deb.jpg

Also ordered the Motordyne aramid lower plenum gasket, its meant to reduce the heat transfer between the lower and upper plenums therefore reducing intake temps, again its good practice to replace the gasket while everythings apart wether it actually does what it says its meant to i dont know but given Motordynes reputation and proven products im sure it will, plus being less than half of the cost of a new oem one it makes sense

20140116_124737_zpsa1cfba97.jpg

Last up is my final piece of the exhaust system jigsaw, Its the Motordyne XYZ pipe with resonator. I know these are proven to be the best y pipe on the market and i wanted the resonator just to tone things down a bit and add a more tuned note to the exhaust now the manifolds are on. So with the exhaust complete my setup is the following DC Sports ceramic coated equal length manifolds, Motordyne ART decats, Motordyne XYZ with resonator, Cobra resonated mid pipe and back box.

20140116_124144_zps22365b15.jpg

20140116_124528_zps53422b4f.jpg

Thats all the big stuff done on the car now, just need it mapped again when its all on. Would like to thank Chris at Tarmac for sourcing the carbon mirrors and Motordyne gear, a perfectly smooth transaction thank you dude

My birthday present to myself is a complete interior done in carbon by Vlad :) Will be getting that all fitted next month when its made, cannot wait. Obviously it needs a few other bits to complete the look so ordered an alcantara gear gaiter with orange stitching to match the seats, and il be getting Peter (4RE leather) to cover my doorcard armrests in black leather and orange stitching to finish it off

Then its just all the small stuff left to do to make the car complete,

Gloss black door handles

Finally get the RCA mod and reverse camera fitted

If i can find some sensibly priced alcantara il be doing the headlining

So thats it for now, thanks for reading will update when the XYZ is fitted and video'd

Cheers

Arran

Edited by Arran
  • Like 1

Cheers guys, Really looking forward to getting this car finished so it will be like Z v.2 for this years Nurburgring trip :lol: Was great last year and this year will be even better

GM, Motordyne stuff is real quality gear, i know they are alot more expensive than other brands but tbh i know their products are proven to work and are made to the best standards. Love it

Stu, I know it seems a real shame :lol: Cant wait to hear and feel the difference though

Matt, Its just not in me to cut corners and use cheap stuff that will potentially give grief down the line, initial outlay is more but the product is better and i know il recieve any after support from our traders :) Always buy the best i can get

that's one serious exhaust, looks amazing

Quick question with the carbon mirrors.. can you see any blue from the mirrors still or is it a complete perfect fit?

as thats what i worried about is if you could see the blue from the gap or something

• 4 weeks later...

Got the Motordyne XYZ with resonator fitted a couple weeks back, sounds absolutely glorious and can definitely feel the difference from the stock y pipe causing uneven flow. My ART pipes exit at 2.5" and the oem enters and 2" whilst the oem y pipe exits at 2.25" and the Cobra centre pipe enters a 3" so it was all out. Now the XYZ has solved all that and toned the exhaust down abit but has tuned the sound of it. So now the exhaust system is complete and it is as follows

DC Sports ceramic coated exhaust manifolds

Motordyne ART decats

Motordyne XYZ with resonator y pipe

Cobra Sports resonated centre pipe and rear box

20140120_173425_zps14bcc33b.jpg

Today I also fitted with Dip (BBK) Chris at Tarmacs new strut brace, fits great and has plenty of clearance with the plenum spacer whilst looking lovely. Waiting on Dip to get his fitted but as we were about to the heavens opened and that was that :lol:

image_zpsb3aada40.jpg

Il do a video of the exhaust soon shame videos don't really portray the real sound 100% but you'll get an idea :)

Some more things coming very soon, so keep tuned in :)

Edited by Arran
  • Like 1

Good stuff Arran, nice read. I have been considering headers and it seems like you have nothing but praise for them. Need to fit clutch flywheel and release bearing, seems like that could be an opportune time to install headers.

Looking forward to your remap stats.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers dude, tbh I can see the reason for being a pain in the arse when doing it on the floor but in the ramp with gearbox out its only a case of moving a few things out the way and putting them in. Do it :lol:

Will be remapped when the oil cooler is on. Looking forward to the gains they bring

• Like 1

So another update for the diary, decided to finally do something about those god damn wiper arms. The drivers was shocking especially, so gave them to works bodyshop guy and got them sprayed gloss black. Need to complement them with some new Michelin stealth blades so they will be ordered asap

image_zps10f068f7.jpg

Now for the real update :lol: went round to my good mate Adam's this afternoon to replace the rocker covers and associated parts. Wasn't difficult just the main thing is removing parts to gain access to the rockers, total time spent was 2.5 hours just making sure everything is right and doing a compression test whilst the plugs are out purely for being inquisitive and general peace of mind. All 6 cylinders were pretty much bang on 190psi give or take a few psi (188psi is the oem spec) so really happy with that. Good strong engine :)

Started with the left cover, strutbar, airbox and intake hose out, top and lower plenums removed with coils and all wiring harnesses out the way. Where the gaskets are seated was degreased and cleaned with carb cleaner and rtv silicone used at the front by the timing case

image_zps89eb6fae.jpg

Left cover done, not much oil in that one tbh more like residue, right cover off

image_zps1c98e1d4.jpg

Right cover pretty oily, good few drips of oil once removed. The centre plug seals are the culprit.

image_zpsba5d192c.jpg

Adam and I were quite surprised at just how aggressive the cam lobes are for stock cams! Good to see everything in great health, no scoring or wear on all four cams. Lovely jubbly :) would love to see what a set of Tomei etc drop in cams look and perform like, I would go for cams but it's just not at this moment in time. Maybe once a house is in possession and it becomes a garage queen/weekend car. Spark plugs changed for Denso iridium ones (seems a touch smoother on pick up now to)

image_zps98a21e54.jpg

Both covers and gaskets replaced and done, good to see new breather valve came with left cover (should do for nearly 200 quid each cover!)

image_zps2a35675b.jpg

Motordyne lower plenum aramid gasket fitted, should reduce air intake temps from lower to upper plenum, seeing as the gasket should be replaced anyway for 15 quid it's a no brainer to install an uprated item, also fitted the Z1 motorsports breather hose kit. Again whilst it's all off and old hoses past their best for 20 quid it's rude not to fit uprated hoses. I'm one for doing things properly and making sure all avenues are covered and replaced whilst things are apart.

image_zps8198fb1d.jpg

All done put back together, ecu reset performed and happy days. Perfect. Took it for a long drive to get everything nice and hot burn off all the old oil and fuel and to finally give the clutch and flywheel combo and proper test and review. The clutch is nice and snappy but feels just like stock, really clamps nicely when going through the gears and the flywheel is just a peach, so much more responsive and the revs just climb with so much more freedom. There is chatter low down in higher gears under load but it's not an issue really. Not that loud and it just sounds cool :lol: the car really rips through the gears, it's a real joy

image_zpsbe7b6de6.jpg

Next weekend will have another big update, will keep you all waiting so keep tuned folks ;)

Thanks for reading, cheers all

Arran

Edited by Arran