Brembo Gran Turismo Calipers

tez162003

I got bored last week so randomly searched ebay, put a bid in on some brakes, got outbid and snipped it at the last second. Guessed the other persons bid spot on and put 50p onto haha.

Anyway, I now had a pair of Brembo Gran Turismo Calipers with AP Bells and disks, 350z braided lines and mounts.

IMG_0724.jpg

No doubt I got them cheap as they need a bit of a spruce up. Discs and pads are used but have a little bit of life left yet. Little bit of heat crazing on the discs but nothing anywhere near that 1mm mark (thats when skimming or replacements are required)

So time to start minting them up. Split the discs into 2, and went about getting the rust off the bells. Air tolls are awesome...

IMG_0788.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

They're now off getting powder coated. So onto those calipers, split them down, pads, spring clips, bleed nipples, brake line from front to back, brake hoses, mounts etc etc. I then set about striping the coating off them and some of it was worn off/chipped or still there.

IMG_0800.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

Using a trye fitting machine to hold the caliper... :lol:

IMG_0812.jpg

after

IMG_0813.jpg

then i set about getting new parts etc, as Brembo don't supply individual components as they got used to often on other makes apparently. That and Brembo are Italian so they shut for the whole of August.. :o I had to search elsewhere. local engineering shops, motor factors etc, new bleed nipples, new dust cover (on the way) new brake lines for front to rear of caliper, new brembo stickers (in the post from RT) new bolts to fix the 2 parts together, new disc bolts (although i may use the originals here).

The colour I have decided to paint them is a custom 3 stage colour, an ice white with a pearl and metallic, so thats primer, base coat, pearl coat, sticker the clear. :o

this is where Im up too. just a bit more prep needed then ready to make and paint.

IMG_0819.jpg

IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

will keep updated if anyone's interesting.

yes they are indeed 4 pots. I know i know, i'm swapping 4 pot brembos for 4 pot brembos... :wacko: but I saw them cheap and wanted something to do. After all, if you wanted a 355mm Brembo GT kit for a 350z new you would need to spend £3000. :surrender:

http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?c=BREMBOGTNISS&s=category

Yes I assumed they'd need a fair amount of work. You can make as little or as much work as you like, depends how thorough you want to be. I wanted to do a good job on them, all down to my painting skills now... I know they wont be perfect but I'm hoping they will look reasonable.

I will be leaving the seals for now, just going to clean up around the scratch seal/ dust seal. The pistons are bloody tight so they have a good seal still. I will also be using the old pads and discs for now, see if I like the brakes before buying new parts.

To be honest, I'm not actaully a fast driver so have no need for bigger brakes, I just fancied a mini project, and I've always wished I had slightly bigger brakes to fill the front wheels. :lol: however 380mm kit would have been so much better for behind 19s. Oh well..

Okay a little bit done today. Sanded down using various grades of paper, washed, dried and chucked on a little tape.

IMG_0824.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg

IMG_0830.jpg

then time to start the painting i guess. Chucked on some white primer this evening, I really wanted it on tonight so it can be solid for tomorrow and a little wet sanding, then hopefully the basecoat if not, more primer.

IMG_0832.jpg

IMG_0834.jpg

IMG_0831.jpg

random picture of braided lines. (took the picture to show a girl what i meant by 'braided') :lol:

IMG_0837.jpg

So i have spent the weekend working and sleeping, but found some time to paint, decal, and rebuild my calipers.

I wont go into all the details, just bung up some pictures with a few notes.

My painting station... :lol:

IMG_0838.jpg

Base coat on

IMG_0839.jpg

Oh, little bit of a metallic pearl coming on.

IMG_0840.jpg

Let the Brembo'ing begin

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0846.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

Outside they go again for the 4th layer of paint, clear coat. Thats primer, base coat, pearl coat and a clear, all just for something you wont see most off... :doh:

IMG_0848.jpg

IMG_0865.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

Then off to my rather elaborate workshop (okay its one of my workplaces warehouse/tyre fitting area)

IMG_0871.jpg

The new nuts on the rear were rather tight so a tiny bit needed trimming.

IMG_0872.jpg

New bolts and bleed nipples in, along with the 350z adaptors.

IMG_0876.jpg

Now time to bend and fit the cooper connecting lines.

IMG_0882.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

It may seem like a lot of detail gone into these simple brakes, but why would make all this effort painting them too look nice again then put the old hoses on?

IMG_0884.jpg

Wire brushed the pads to clean them up a bit. Copper greased then fitted.

IMG_0885.jpg

And the final product, just the discs to build up. But waiting for the centres to come back from the powder coater.

IMG_0887.jpg

:thumbs: