981 Boxster vs GT86 vs SLK diesel

Ekona

Deserving of a new thread? Three new cars on test? Yeah, I think so. One at a time, then a bit of a summary. Place your bets now as to which you think is teh winzorz. Best go and grab a cup of tea too, I don't do these things by halves. ;)

Porsche Boxster 2.7

8880ec5.jpg?1342313370

A typical day in the life of a Porsche dealer principle involves ordering cars in for test drives, knowing full well that they'll need to be sold on in 6 months time. As such, they need to be cheap enough to not be costing them a fortune in the first place, but also have enough toys to convince potential buyers they want to spend a fortune on options. As such, it's a pleasant change to have been given a relatively poverty-spec Boxster as my courtesy car whilst the 911 is in for a service.

How poverty? Well, it's the manual not PDK, and it's the 2.7 not the 3.4 S. No PASM, standard seats, no climate control, no leather interior, so quite sparse. It does have the 20" wheels (standard are 18"s!), sat nav and the Bose stereo along with heated seats, but really this is as basic a Porsche as I've ever driven. Truth be told I'm glad, as even I'll admit that my own C2S is just too quick for most roads in the UK, and as old as it makes me sound, you really don't need any more power any more. What you do need is a car that delivers a great driving experience from the word go, so does the 981 deliver in the same way the 987 used to?

Well, for fear of making the rest of this review redundant, yes it does. It's now a seriously masculine looking car, with DRLs that are angrily pointing down at you as you stare head-on, and gaping intakes sculpted into the doors that want to devour any and all air to feed the downsized flat-six. Poke the Porker-shaped key (gay as hell) into the dash and give it a twist, and the engine throbs into life where it used to thrum. There's a definite burble about it now, and it's as characterful as the older engines used to be which is a big plus as the DFI engine on mine can sound a bit anaemic on tickover. Dropping the roof is a fully-auto job now, just hold the button at up to (tested) 27mph and it'll drop quicker than you think. It would be nice if there was a light on the dash to tell you when it's done though, as you tend to hold the button for longer than necessary just to make sure.

Push the weighted clutch down, glide the lever into first, and rev the nuts off the car as you pull away. You may wish to skip the last step and pull away properly yourself though, as you'll now be aware that the clutch goes down a long way but the bite point is right at the top of travel. This should mean you don't sound like you're trying to do a racing start at 8:30am in the car park. Oops. Still, when you get going and slip into second and onwards it's as natural as you could want. I gel with the 'box straight away, and you can rush it to bang the cogs home or take your time and waft through. The six-speed doesn't care either way, it's a wonderful bit of engineering.

As is the noise. As previously mentioned, 987 and 997 DFI cars weren't known for their vocal sound until you fitted the £2K optional sports exhaust, which this car doesn't have. Does it need it? Well, not really. There's a lovely sonorous roar as you wind it up from sub 2000 revs, then it starts barking once you pass 4000, then a true wail as you smack the limiter at 7500rpm. It does get a little thrashy at the very top end, which is a shame as this is an engine that delights in revving (not the first one I'm going to find today), and you can make some serious progress with it. 265bhp is more than enough in a car that weighs less than 1400kgs, and you do get that 'crap I need to back off as I'm really starting to gain some speed here' moment that all the best cars have. Oddly it seems really nippy at sub 40mph, then a bit slow getting up to 70mph, and then it seems to take off again after that. I quite like it, although why it feels like that I've no idea.

None of which matters really if it was a crap place to sit. Luckily it's not. As I said, no full leather in here so just a token amount on the doors and steering wheel, and the plastic dash itself doesn't look that great. Which is irritating, because if you're a sad bugger like me and take the time to stroke, poke and rub it, you'll find it's a wonderfully high-quality soft touch plastic. It's just looks a bit rough, but certainly better than anything elsewhere on the market. The rising centre console puts the gear lever right where you want it, and it's a bit easier to get to the various buttons now for sport mode and the heated seats, and to access the stereo. Sadly this now means that the climate controls are right behind the stick, but they're at the right height at least. The standard seats seem far comfier than the old ones, and rival my megabucks adaptive sport seats for outright grip. Yes, a little more on the shoulders would be nice, but they're catered for by the optional sport seats. Porsche ain't daft.

The stereo is Bose, and it goes loud. Very loud. EMBARRASSINGLY LOUD. I tried it once then turned it off as there was only tat on the radio and it didn't have the iPod lead in it for me to plug my phone into. Never mind. It's a car, not a rolling Richer Sounds.

The one part I wasn't convinced about were the brakes. They're smaller on the 2.7 than the 3.4 and as usual are very under servoed, which means that you jump into the 981 after driving any other car and scare yourself witless as you try and stop. There is so much more feel there though and a hell of a lot of stopping power, it just takes your brain a bit to adjust as we're so used to over-servoed brakes these days. I did give them a pretty good workout, and while they stopped me fine I always felt like I could do with a little more grab right at the end of the pedal, but the ABS didn't kick in so perhaps it was me not pressing hard enough. Having not driven for two months, that's a definite possibility.

I'm being deliberately picky over that though, as there's precious little else here. Yes, it has electric steering. No, it's not quite as good as the old rack. Yes, I'd forgotten about it by the time I'd gone round my first roundabout and nailed the loud pedal. No-one makes a car as well balanced as the Boxster, it really is something special. You can spin it on the axis, you can trail brake in hard, you can give it beans and unsettle the rear, but you won't ever be able to make it feel loose or slack. It's absolutely perfect, and the feedback you get just encourages you to push harder, and harder. Maybe there's too much grip at times, as I had to really provoke it to make it let go, but when it did it was like meeting up with an old flame and getting an instant love bulge. Even on the 20" wheels, which with no PASM would normally be a complete no-go in terms of ride quality, there's no sign of an unexpected jiggle or fidget. Every time I drive one of these I swear I'll never forget how good they are, and every single time I do. On the upside, that makes every drive so involving and exploring the limits again is a pleasure.

Toyota GT86

ScionFRS.ToyotaGT86.Side_.White_-525x350.jpg

Rocking up in a brand-new Boxster to a Toyota dealership guarantees you a certain welcome. You get greeted at the door, you get shown around the car, you get pretty much wined, dined and flirted with until you almost feel the salesman start tugging at the catch on your metaphorical bra. It makes a welcome change, as I certainly didn't get this treatment at my usual Toyota place until I complained to head office about something, and I don't feel like I need to here. Last time I tested a new Toyota it was 2003 and I purchased that little mk3 MR2, so what chance the 86 following suit?

The car looks the part. Smaller than the photos make it look, but better for it. Mahoosive exhausts at the rear give it real bite and purpose, and take your eyes away from the chav-stylee Lexus lights. The front looks angry and low, and the blue paintwork shines with a depth rarely seen on non-premium cars. I've always like Toyota blues, and this is another great shade.

It's a promising start. The door opens with a solid motion, shuts with the same vigour, and those seats... Oh! Those seats! You'd be paying thousands for something like this in a Porsche, and they wouldn't necessarily be any better. They're perhaps a touch too large for my frame, but I'll forgive them that. They hug, they grip, they caress: With the salesman next to me, it was like being laid down into some silk sheets after the bra has pinged across the room. Wonderful. Honestly, with the suede down the middle and the leather outers, they're a delight. Sorry for prattling on, but I kinda feel I should really rave about these seats some more, as the rest of the interior is vile.

Sorry, but it's really not great. The plastic seems a world away from anything remotely resembling premium, and that tatty cheap-plasticky-looking carbon fibre dash is both cheap and plasticky. I do like the switches for the various bits and bobs, and they are nicely tactile too, but the dials and displays for the climate really don't look good here. The stereo (no sat nav here, it's an option) remained off for the duration of the ride as it looked stuck on. The original AV in the Evora got some slating for being awful, and this is certainly up there with that. Seriously, I hope the sat nav looks better than this.

So we've established that the 86 lags a fair way behind rivals on the inside, but it does get some things very right. The steering wheel feels small and compact, but it's a good shape and weight. The gear stick too is in a good place, and once you drop the Uber-Chairs Of Seating Wonderment to their lowest point it's a very good driving position. Very good. You're well sighted too, and the cabin feels airy and spacious without making the car itself feel huge. Nice trick. Sadly no proper key here, just one of those fobs that you know you're going to leave rattling around in the car, and sure enough rattle it does when dropped into the space between the seats. Just give me a proper key people, this really isn't rocket science!

Poke the start button and, well, it starts. It's very quiet, almost like you've not actually started it. It's much smoother than I thought it might be, which is a good thing if you like your neighbours. Push the clutch pedal down, remove your leg that is now buried in the firewall as the clutch is so light that you've gone through the metal, slot first and drive away. Blimey, anyone would think I don't drive a manual normally if they saw me today...

This is where the fun begins. I expect a rev-happy engine, one which needs to be worked hard, and one that is rewarding if you do so. I'm not immune to the previous reviews of this car, but I do try not to let my instincts cloud my judgement. All is forgotten once I hear the engine pick up past about 3500 rpm though, as I realise it must be broken. Oh crap, how on earth have I managed to break a brand-new car within 300 yards...

Oh. Wait. That noise is coming from the speakers. I had no idea that the GT86 has that awful fake engine note pumped into the cabin a la the new M5. It's utterly ridiculous, and yet you can't help but giggle. And giggle I did.

It's a very raw, bubbly kind of sound, and although you're aware it's seriously faked and tacky it's not really something that I found myself hating. I wanted to, believe me, but I couldn't. "I'm a proper driver!" says my inner voice, "I demand proper engine notes, not this trickery! Oh wait, look how loud it goes when I mash the pedal HEE HEE HEE HEE HEE" etc. I'm sorry. I couldn't help but like it. At least Toyota have made an effort to let the drive hear the engine, rather than smother it below layers of sound proofing. And you know what? It's a pretty pleasant sound. It's not as nice as an Impreza, and it's not as nice as a Boxster, but it is unique and aurally pleasing. I didn't find it any harsher at the top end either, so chasing that redline is a pleasant chore.

It's not quick though. It's almost downright ponderous at times. There is no point in the rev range that any intake, valve or cam trickery seems to happen, so it's just a solid pull all the way round. Yes it's balanced, but you don't feel the need to smash it even though to make any progress you really should. It's a car that's quick enough I guess, and I don't actually mind slow cars as long as they feel like they're trying their hardest to put every kilowatt down on the road. The GT86 never feels like this, and that's a shame. If the engine revved like the one in the Clio RS, it would be a hoot. Even when you get well into 3rd gear and start to see the numbers get a bit too big, it doesn't feel quick. An M3 does much the same trick, but with significantly more power you do get the 'crap I need to back off etc' feeling I mentioned on the Boxster.

It's not supposed to be quick though. 'Yota have said it, Subaru have said it, the salesman trying to shaft me with his order form of passion has said as much. He's only 22, South African and been over here 4 months. I think I may have caused him to leave a 50p/5p shape in the MegaSeat when I barrel into the first corner, a 90deg 2nd gear left hander, jumping on the brakes whilst dropping four gears in a throttle blipping moment of... Well, you know how it is. You're either going to look a hero as you pull it off perfectly, or you're going to jerk the car sideways and you're going to get the look from the salesman that says "YOU UTTER F*CKING LUNATIC TAKE THIS CAR BACK NOW BEFORE WE BOTH DIE!". Due to the perfect position of the pedals, and the sharp bite of the brakes, along with a delicate flick of the VCS OFF switch, I quickly sign myself up as the next Avenger.

Oh, this thing can drift. And slide. And slide. And drift. The tyres give up their grip at will, and you don't need to be revving the backside off the engine for this to happen either. It's very natural, almost as natural as my little mk1 MX-5, and that's really saying something. There's no snapping or sawing of the wheel as you struggle to control the mass, and even on my very first drive of this car it's obvious that they've nailed the suspension bang-on. It's not a sharp tool, and piecing together apexes isn't as natural as you would hope, but getting the car to move under your input is far more rewarding. I'm not talking about huge smoking slides on every bend, just that little four-wheel-drift that Caterhams have had as their own for the last few years as you pass the apex. Mr Salesman relaxes after the first one, and whilst I'd love to claim the credit for being awesome in truth the car is very flattering.

Again though, the brakes aren't quite right. The ABS is far too quick to intervene, and the pedal doesn't have enough travel in it to give you the confidence to be late on the brakes. It pushes you into a relaxed flow style of driving, which I guess is the point of the car. I'd like to have the choice myself though. The gearbox isn't the best either. It wants desperately to be a snicker, a bolt action, a tool of accuracy. What it ends up being is abrupt, narrow gated, rough. I've used much worse gearboxes in my time (pretty much anything with a Ford badge on made since 1990), and I never found myself in the wrong gear, but again I expected something that would convince me that I should be swapping gears for fun.

Fancy a shock? The rear seats have much more headroom than a 911. Much less legroom, but at least I could sit upright in them. More of a shock? That engine sounds lovely from behind, when I asked my South African friend to sit in the driver seat and blip the throttle for me so I could hear what it sounded like whilst putting my ear at Mahoosive Exhaust Level. If it sounds so nice, why the fake sound piped in? Yes, I'm still bitter.

Mercedes Benz SLK 250 CDI

car_photo_459388_7.jpg

If you're still with me at this point, then I'm guessing you've seen the title and probably skipped to the end. It's an SLK. It's not the AMG. It's not even a petrol one. It's not even a manual one. Who wants to drive one of those for fun? Well, in the name of science (and to settle a debate) I gave one a go. The Boxster I knew what to expect, the 86 I thought I knew what to expect, but the SLK? An oil burner? No idea. I've not even driven many Mercs in my life, so I can't pretend to know the brand that well.

Before I discuss how amazing the car is, a little hint for car salesmen everywhere. Please don't open up your sales patter with the question "So how much do you earn?". Oh yes he did. Those actual words, and that was the second question from his lips after "Would you like a drink?". Granted, they need to weed out the time wasters, but I've just rocked up in a new Boxster and I specifically asked for the diesel. If I wanted to take the mick, then I'd have gone for the AMG, wouldn't I? Luckily enough I kept my cool and glossed over the question, and gave the guy a chance. I'm glad I did as he was a nice bloke, with no pushy sales talk like the Toyota man. Still, not a great start.

It would seem that MBUK have done the opposite of what PCUK have done with speccing up their roadsters: This one's pretty loaded. Black/white contrasting leather interior, panoramic sunroof, airscarf, the posher sat nav (they have two different types), memory seats, AMG styling pack... Probably more, but let's just say it didn't play hide and seek with the options list. More like it pinned it to the floor and had it's wicked way, then left without leaving a note. It's a good change though, and I have to say it's a lovely place to start. The leather is quality, and you get that real posh scent that only premium cars have when they're new. It's a bit intoxicating, and I have the urge to stroke things since this is the nicest place I've sat all day.

Ah, you just want to know what it sounds like, don't you? When I start it up and the John Deere smell of diesel floats over as the rattles pick up? Yeah? Sadly, yeah.

That's not fair really, it's really not that bad. Not that bad at all. Okay, there's only so much refinement you can get out of a 1.8L four pot diesel, but it's pretty good. Chatter is minimal, and with the roof up it's practically non-existent. Don't blip the throttle though, as the game is given away very quickly and you sound like a Dad picking his kids up from football practice in the company car snotter. Get the car moving though and it's a whole different ball game. And it's a good ball game. Like beach volleyball, which I've become addicted to over the last week or so.

Twin-turbos on a diesel mean you have soooo much shove at any engine speed, it's hilarious. The autobox has three settings: Eco, Sport and Manual. I don't even bother with Eco (screw the fair test), it goes straight into Sport from the off. You know that 'crap back off now blah blah' feeling? I found it, right here. This thing is a beast, but a civilised beast. It'll rev round to 6500 and it will pull all the way, only tailing off right at the end as you bump the limiter. It's stunning, and it feels utterly bizarre doing so with the roof down and the wind blowing like a gale through the cabin. It's very windy inside, much more than the refined nature of an SLK should be, or at least what I expected it to be. This is a proper blaster of a car, and there's almost no overtake you don't dare go for as the torque gives you the confidence that the car will surely get through with time to spare.

The autobox both helps make this car very good, but it's also the biggest weakness. In auto mode it's true MB-smooth, and it doesn't seem to get stuck in any gaps that a diesel can have in the powerband. It's a cracking piece of software that's controlling it: Perhaps other manufacturers should take note? That said, they probably don't want the flip side of it in manual mode, where it refuses to change up a gear until the last one in place. That's a very confusing sentence, but here's what I mean: You're flying up a slip road to a motorway, you've gone through the first three gears not have now settled at motorway pace and want to go to seventh. You can't just grab the right hand paddle four times and be done with it, you have to grab one gear. Let it in. Grab another gear. Let that one in. Pull again. Patience. Now pull again finally and you're there. Of course, in Sport you'd just nail the loud pedal and be done with it, but I'd still like the choice thanks.

I guess that's where the car falls down really. It's not poor because it's a diesel, it's poor because it has no idea what it wants to be. It wants to be like the big brother SL, and cruise you everywhere. You can't do this though because it's far too blustery inside. It also wants to be that weekend sportscar, but it can't because the gearbox won't let you truly exploit what is actually a wonderful engine. The thing I'll take with me the most isn't the engine, or the autobox, but the handling. Because it's actually quite good here.

I deliberately set the car up to fail, in that pointed it at an open roundabout, entered it with speed then lifted off and turned in far too abruptly, knowing full well that it was going to plough straight on in true EmBee fashion. It was then a tad surprising when I felt the front dig-in, grab, the back end go daintily light, and then the SLK to swing itself around as I gave it full beans. This should have had the car screaming at me, the traction control yelling in my face and the heavy engine up front with the two turbos banging away on the engine mounts, but it didn't. It wasn't what you'd call a graceful slide, but it was pleasant. The suspension that I'd earlier given up on as being too soft and allowing me ride on these terrible roads with ease but holding me back dynamically, was actually quite a bit sporty. Not like Lotus sporty, but like a huge ner-ner-look-what-I-can-do kind of party trick. 'Tis a good thing.

CONCLUSION

The Boxster and GT86 were driven on exactly the same roads in exactly the same conditions, so ignoring the £10K price differential I think it's a pretty fair comparison. The Boxster didn't wow me as much as I wanted it to, but that's because I already expected it to be brilliant. It was familiar yet unknown, and a car you'd grow to love more and more every time you drove it. The base spec of the car meant that, perhaps for the first time in my driving life, I can appreciate the engineering brilliance at Porsche. Anyone who drives this car and says it's dull or boring or rubbish is a complete idiot and doesn't know what they're talking about. It's a sharp tool when you want it to be, it's a hooligan if provoked, and it's a lovely place to relax if you want to do that too.

The GT86 was as much a disappointment as it was a revelation. For all the poor choice in materials inside, and the underpowered undercharacterised engine, I'm sitting here remembering my drive with a smile upon my face. That sound still irks me, but it's also fun and that's kinda the point of the car. The gearbox isn't great, the brakes too sharp, but when you have the control thrust eagerly into your own hands to allow you push the car at every corner, does it really matter? Toyota said they'd deliver a car that can handle like they used to, and deliver they have. There's a few other promises they've badly let us down on, but this is still a car worth investigating.

Where the Boxster would gracefully stab at a corner, the GT86 would smash through it. Where the 981 would nibble at the tarmac as you engaged the power, the Toyota would whinge a bit whilst making a racket and then eventually get on with it. Perhaps a comparison to a ballerina and an angst-ridden teenager would be apt, but only on the understanding that the teenager still has some growing up to do.

As for the SLK, it's a Jekyll and Hyde thing. I wanted to hate it, but couldn't. It's not aimed at people like me though. I like my cars to drive with passion and I'll accept a few character flaws for that, but the SLK is for the person who doesn't want to drive hard down a country lane. It's a car that would cover the European schlep with ease, costing you peanuts in fuel and leave you relaxed as you check in at your hotel on the outskirts of Monaco. Only the outskirts mind, as you can't be seen to be driving a diesel sportscar. Oh, the horror if the neighbours should see! It is what it is, and I won't begrudge it for that. In fact, it makes a damn good fist of trying to appeal to someone like me, so fair play for that.

Would I buy a Boxster? Yes, but I'd have to have a leather covered dash with smaller wheels. Definitely the 2.7 and definitely the manual though.

Would I buy a GT86? I don't think so. I need to drive it again (I have another drive booked for next week), but so far there's just too much to put me off. It is good, but it's not £27K good.

Would I buy an SLK? No. Sorry. I referred to it as amazing in the first line of the second paragraph, but that was only to try and keep you reading until the end. It's not a bad car for the right person, but that person most definitely isn't me.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's still a bit achey, and I can only do short trips at a time, but it's definitely getting there now :)

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention about the Boxster: There is absolutely no warning message if you happen to drive away from the petrol station with the fuel door open and the cap hanging out if you've just filled up :blush::blush::blush:

It's still a bit achey, and I can only do short trips at a time, but it's definitely getting there now :)

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention about the Boxster: There is absolutely no warning message if you happen to drive away from the petrol station with the fuel door open and the cap hanging out if you've just filled up :blush::blush::blush:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Schoolboy error, at least in the zed you can see it very clearly as its huuge lol

Nice write up. I'm surprised you said you'd still go for the 2.7 boxster if buying one. I thought you were like me where the bigger the engine the better :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Schoolboy error, at least in the zed you can see it very clearly as its huuge lol

Nice write up. I'm surprised you said you'd still go for the 2.7 boxster if buying one. I thought you were like me where the bigger the engine the better :lol:

It was so embarrassing, I was happily cruising around with the top down looking the bee's knees, and then this post office van honked and pointed at the front. Once I bothered to look round the a-pillar and wing mirror it was obvious, but it sits in a massive blindspot on the front :blush::lol:

I always thought so too, hence the C2S over the C2, but after the MX-5 I'm kinda just enjoying wringing a car out and going just quick enough to enjoy it. Must be the age kicking in, after all I am a whopping 32 now :(

It was so embarrassing, I was happily cruising around with the top down looking the bee's knees, and then this post office van honked and pointed at the front. Once I bothered to look round the a-pillar and wing mirror it was obvious, but it sits in a massive blindspot on the front :blush::lol:

I always thought so too, hence the C2S over the C2, but after the MX-5 I'm kinda just enjoying wringing a car out and going just quick enough to enjoy it. Must be the age kicking in, after all I am a whopping 32 now :(

Haha I'm catching up mate, turning 25 this year :lol: Still looking at scratching my 6litre v8 itch though ;)

Paul on here with the white carbon wrapped gtr, his brother who is about 19 now just got a c63 amg coupe in a gunmetal colour :cloud9:

The slk is different TBH even it was an AMG it wouldnt be as poised as the other 2. Amg solves all its problems with power. Its a good philosphy but it makes but interesting and fun but also scary cars rather than "sports" cars.

E.g. a sl55 and a 911 gt3 will have similar pace in a straight line but the merc is heavy and isnt made to corner the way a 911 is.

Ive not drove a 981 but I would get a 3.4 TBH. I think the boxster platform has a better chassis than the 911 but its been kept underpowered so not to compete too much. I was recently looking at 986/987 with the 3.8 911 engine in them. Now that sounds ace.

Also you said they give you a povo spec boxster , if you bought a boxster they will give you a 911 when you need a car :lol: . I think this is so you can upgrade but its a nice gesture.

I do see with what your saying with power isnt everything I do agree but arent you points not conflicting between buying a 2.7 and the same reason the gt86 isnt great? The gt86 could be driven fast as its light and poised though no?

The gt86 engine sounds like the vq in the linearity. Its good as powers there when you need it but then its a little boring as there is no kick like a RS clio. Im surprised they didnt give it "lift" like the old corolla t sports.

Haha I'm catching up mate, turning 25 this year :lol: Still looking at scratching my 6litre v8 itch though ;)

Paul on here with the white carbon wrapped gtr, his brother who is about 19 now just got a c63 amg coupe in a gunmetal colour :cloud9:

Bloody youngster :p

Oddly enough I was chatting with the MB rep about the AMG series, specifically the C63. It's the only car that could tempt me out of mine right now, and even then just for the noise.

I do see with what your saying with power isnt everything I do agree but arent you points not conflicting between buying a 2.7 and the same reason the gt86 isnt great? The gt86 could be driven fast as its light and poised though no?

Interesting point. I guess I am, but if you drive the cars back to back you'd instantly see what I mean. It's more in how the power is delivered more than anything: The 86 engine just feels very, very flat, and there's no oomph to it at all. Even my crappy old MX-5 (I'll stop blathering on about it one day) has an engine that rewards you for revving it, as it changes personality once you get on cam, and the Boxster engine is very similar in that there's a definite rush of power. The 86 doesn't have that, it feels more like you're playing a computer game and there's no real sensation of speed.

You know in the Zed when you get past about 3K revs, and the torque really shows its head and the car really starts shifting? Well, that's the exact same thing the 86 is missing. It can't be just because it's a flat-4 as they've usually got better torque than the equivalent inline-4, it's just a very very dull lump. You can drive the 86 quickly, and sliding it around at speed is jolly good fun, but you never feel like you're doing any kind of pace in it. Yes, you can make it flow and it's nice to do so, but you can be doing the same speed in the Boxster and that feels proper quick.

Great write up, but you eventually plump for the Porsche. Are you Chris Harris? ;)

:lol::lol::lol::blush:

Trouble is, the Boxster really is that much better than the other two. It's in a different league altogether, and it's the best sports car on the planet right now. It would be liek comparing the 350Z to the RX-8, as if you ignore the fact you may need a 4-seater it's clear just which car is so much better in every department. I'd like to grab a drive out in a 458 or an SLS (god I love the SLS), maybe I'll try and sort that soon.

I don't think I particularly have a Porsche bias, it's just they don't make a bad car at all so it's hard to criticise them. Even if you don't like the Panamera or the Cayenne, they're still the best in their class and a hoot to drive. They're not perfect, but they're damn close. Ferrari are the same, and with the revisions the Astons have now had with the V8V and the DB9. There's not too many other manufacturers out there that I can think of that have the same level of greatness throughout the range, excluding the one-make ones like Pagani or McLaren.

Porsche owner loves the Porsche

#shocker :lol:

:lol:

Honestly though I dont think porshce make bad cars at all. Their pricing might be out or my league or I might not fancy them if they did e.g. m3 over 911 c2s or whatever but they do make epic cars. Only people who havent driven them will bad mouth them usually. Yes they are expensive and they arent the fastest thing on the road and the gtr is quicker :yawn: and maybe the new ones are getting a little clinical but they are still great everyday usable sports cars. Feel and engineering on them is awe inspiring.

I agree with Ekona? :ban::lol::lol::p

I may or may not have gone for a midnight blast in the 981 last night, and I did find one very big downside to the car:

The heater isn't great.

Roof down, windows up, heater and fan on full max to feet and face, and despite the outside temp being a balmy 16c it wasn't enough for me to not be a little bit cold. Ok, I was only wearing a t-shirt and jeans, but the MR2 and 350Z never had an issue with supplying enough heat, especially in the summer. I did forget to turn the heated seats on, but it was my hands that were a bit cold, not my body.

Hardly the biggest issue in the world, but worth noting. See, they're not perfect :p:lol:

I don't think I particularly have a Porsche bias, it's just they don't make a bad car at all so it's hard to criticise them. Even if you don't like the Panamera or the Cayenne, they're still the best in their class and a hoot to drive. They're not perfect, but they're damn close. Ferrari are the same, and with the revisions the Astons have now had with the V8V and the DB9. There's not too many other manufacturers out there that I can think of that have the same level of greatness throughout the range, excluding the one-make ones like Pagani or McLaren.

Although Ferrari has moved on quite a bit, and the 458 is a step up from the 430, Im not overly convinced by their attitude toward customers. Although I had a relatively pleasant experience with mine, they werent interested in sorting a couple of the issues mine had under warranty. Bearing in mind my car had only just come out of the 3 year manufacturer warranty and was still in the extended warranty for the 4th year (a £4k warranty from Maranello I may add), at the time I tried to claim for moisture in the headlamps, they couldnt care less. The peeling protective layer under the bonet and in the door shuts which is common on 430's was also declined by Ferrari, but done by the dealer as a goodwill gesture.

You would have thought as this was my first Fezza, they would have done a bit more to keep me loyal to the brand. Admittedly they did invite me on several days out and factory visits (although not free), It did stick in my throat that they outright refused my request for a couple of new headlights on a car that had less than 3000 miles on the clock. Needless to say I am skipping the 458 and have my name on the list for one of their competitors cars now.

I think you may be dissapointed with the 458 drive. Not that it isnt quick, it certainly is, but compared to the single clutch, the double clutch box in the italia makes it very smooth, and almost elastic like on acceleration.

Same as my 911 then, it's like having one gigantic gear if you leave it in auto and plant your foot. I like that about the car, but I'm also glad that I have the option of dropping into manual and ignoring it. Does make traffic light GPs a bit too easy though ;)

Never driven a single-clutch Ferrari, but I'm assuming that the gearbox is the same as the one used in the Maser GT series? The MC Shift on the GTS I did a track day in at Maser's expense a couple of years ago had it, and I almost grew to love the brutality of it on full bore upshifts. If I put mine in sport plus mode then I get a similar engineered-in jolt, does the 458 do that? Or is it always silky smooth regardless? I like the jolt, even if it's technically a fake one done by software: Kinda makes you feel more connected to the experience.

The difference between the single clutch (ala 430) and the double clutch (458) is quite a margin. The single clutch F1 box was/is just a fancy electronically controlled manual clutch. So in auto mode you still got that thump from the back of the seat when the car changed gear for you. If you flick the switch to sport or race, use the paddles and drive agressively then you get a real sense of the gear changes and throttle blipped to match.

The 458, although it matches revs etc, it seems to just slide into the next gear - no clonk on the head from the headrest. Yes you get the noise, you get the sudden acceleration/deceleration, but it seems a bit more "artificial". That is also a criticism levelled at Lamborghini given the overseeing by Audi, that they have become somehow sterilised. I hope to test this for myself in the near future with a couple of test drives.

The 430 felt like it was on edge all the time, it certainly felt planted to the road, and it felt like I could tell if I ran over a 5p piece I got that much feedback when in the right mode, but it also felt like something was going to snap or pop at any time. Whilst it was perfectly capable driving round town, it never felt like it wanted to be there. Whereas the 458 feels a little bit more comfortable wherever you take it - is this a little bit of the "sterilisation" that various reviewers have spoken of in regard to these double clutch systems and the strive to make them more "every day" use? I dont know - Im hardly a motor journalist - but Im guessing for somebody who drives cars hard, they may not like the way that some of the feeling has disappeared.

Having said all that, as I have only ever done my first track day in the last couple of weeks, and never really driven any car particularly hard, Im hardly a person who puts a car like the 430/458 through its paces, so your results may indeed vary. :lol:

Does the 981 still have silly long gearing?

Given that it hasn't changed from the 987, and that that didn't have silly long gearing at all, then no :p 1st is good for about 35, 2nd takes you past 70mph, and then 3rd is nibbling at a speed that you wouldn't ever want to do on the road for fear of having a licence whipped away pretty sharpish. I kinda get what you're saying, as swapping cogs is fun so if you don't get a chance to do it often then it can feel a bit lacking, but I've never found that at all in anything I've driven. 6th could do with being a bit longer really, as I was sitting at 3K rpm at 74mph, which is a little high. I'm just so used to having a 7th gear though now, so the 981 isn't any worse than the Zed in that regard.

The 458, although it matches revs etc, it seems to just slide into the next gear - no clonk on the head from the headrest. Yes you get the noise, you get the sudden acceleration/deceleration, but it seems a bit more "artificial".

That's a huge shame, but I wonder if that's something that may get put back in for the 458 Stradale/Scuderia-style car? Maybe not, I don't know. 'Tis a shame though.