981 Boxster vs GT86 vs SLK diesel

Ekona

Out of interest has anyone driven a derv Audi tt?

Mate, you can't go from an AMG Merc to a diesel pretend sports car :bangin::surrender:

Yes I can.....because I have :teeth:

My merc isn't amg and to be quite honest its the biggest disappointment of a car I've ever experienced but hey ho we all live and learn.

V8 or not......it sounded @*!# (when being driven.....exhaust sounded ok revving in neutral).....drove @*!#.......handled ok to be fair.......interior quality sort of oddly @*!# (creaking all over the place). Not what I was hoping for and totally my fault for buying blind and paying a dickhead to repair it (for £1500).

Just swallowed a £3500 loss on it within a month.......that's just how @*!# it is.

Derv Audi.........fecking brilliant compromise and leagues ahead of the derv slk

You bought a dud though, trust me normal mercs are gangsta :lol:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe but either way it just wasn't me and I can't trust it anymore.

Btw.....whilst the derv wouldn't catch a zed on the straight, it would eat it alive in the corners......and I do mean destroy it :snack:

is that the TT derv?

my old neighbour had one and to be fair, once it had started it didn't sound very diesel, he even had the vert version; so roof down etc. and it looked the part. don;t know if it was FWD or 4WD, but they loved it :thumbs:

I have but he needs to confirm it wasn't sold today as it was off the system (ie not at the dealer I was buying from).

It's a quattro. Hard to call it a 'nice' sound but it sounds nothing like a diesel and the power band is perfect or my style of driving. £120 tax and allegedly 50+mpg.

As part of the test drive he made me hug a roundabout and fully stick my foot in for 2 rotations.....simply would not budge.

Not everyone's cup of tea and have been thoroughly bummed on the trade in but the merc literally sounds like its going to die and that's after 1500 of work......I just want shut.

The salesman was telling me to get it on eBay but I don't want to risk someone test driving it and it going pop! It was making an horrific noise the other day from around the radiator/condenser......I thought it was the industrial aircon unit I'd parked in front of.......then I realised it was coming from the engine.

Bear in mind I'm potentially going to have to commute to Birmingham if I get this new job and I've still got the spare key to Carla's zed :teeth:

I drove the GT86 again today. Some more thoughts on it:

It's better to drive than I remembered. Being chucked the keys sans salesman automatically makes it better, but being able to take a few more liberties with the VSC off really opens the car up. It's actually far more capable of being lively than I was brave enough to try before, and when the missus is moaning at you in your ear you know you're doing it correctly. The balance and flow is pretty damn good if I'm honest, and I may have been too harsh in my previous words. In fact, I'd go as far to say it was one of the most fun drives I've had in recent memory. If you're proper brave with the throttle, then you can dial in as many degrees as the road allows and hold it there. It's a serious delight. I gelled a lot more with the gearbox too this time, and it's almost identical to the other half's Impreza.

On the other side, the interior is much worse than I recall. The plastics on the door near the A-pillar look like they've already seen 40K worth of miles, in a car that's barely seen 1400. That is atrocious, and the gutless engine still doesn't give you any impetus to rag it hard except the knowledge that the car will plod along if you don't. The standard audio is worse than the one in my Transit, and there's either far too much middle at low volumes or it's too bright and bassy when you crank it up. That's after playing with the equalizer, too.

The more I drove it, the more I liked it. It's a car for a proper driver, for someone just like me, but the state it's available in now simply isn't acceptable. If it was sub-£20K then it would be a bargain, or in base-tuner form like they get in Japland for £14K then you wouldn't worry about a bit of crap trim or a rubbish stereo. As it stands, for £28K it's simply far too expensive for what it is. When even the other half, who although drives a 330bhp Impreza STi doesn't particularly like fast cars, says that it's too slow and she wouldn't want one, you have to wonder if the party trick of the car is going to be missed by the vast majority of people. The vast majority who Toyota would like to sell the car to.

I drove the GT86 again today. Some more thoughts on it:

It's better to drive than I remembered. Being chucked the keys sans salesman automatically makes it better, but being able to take a few more liberties with the VSC off really opens the car up. It's actually far more capable of being lively than I was brave enough to try before, and when the missus is moaning at you in your ear you know you're doing it correctly. The balance and flow is pretty damn good if I'm honest, and I may have been too harsh in my previous words. In fact, I'd go as far to say it was one of the most fun drives I've had in recent memory. If you're proper brave with the throttle, then you can dial in as many degrees as the road allows and hold it there. It's a serious delight. I gelled a lot more with the gearbox too this time, and it's almost identical to the other half's Impreza.

On the other side, the interior is much worse than I recall. The plastics on the door near the A-pillar look like they've already seen 40K worth of miles, in a car that's barely seen 1400. That is atrocious, and the gutless engine still doesn't give you any impetus to rag it hard except the knowledge that the car will plod along if you don't. The standard audio is worse than the one in my Transit, and there's either far too much middle at low volumes or it's too bright and bassy when you crank it up. That's after playing with the equalizer, too.

The more I drove it, the more I liked it. It's a car for a proper driver, for someone just like me, but the state it's available in now simply isn't acceptable. If it was sub-£20K then it would be a bargain, or in base-tuner form like they get in Japland for £14K then you wouldn't worry about a bit of crap trim or a rubbish stereo. As it stands, for £28K it's simply far too expensive for what it is. When even the other half, who although drives a 330bhp Impreza STi doesn't particularly like fast cars, says that it's too slow and she wouldn't want one, you have to wonder if the party trick of the car is going to be missed by the vast majority of people. The vast majority who Toyota would like to sell the car to.

Stripped out with a supercharger bolted on sounds like it'd be good.....