How do spacers affect handling?

The Chubby Ninja

I didn't notice a significant difference with mine, although general consensus is that they affect it negatively a little bit. I had my compression arm bushes changed for super pro, and they affected the handling a lot more positively than the spacers did the other way.

But at any rate I'd rather go 1% slower round a corner if it means the car looks 100% better! I saw a stock car the other day and I have to say after seeing my spaced one every day I was in shock at how silly it looked!

The one problem I do have is that the car seems to pull about on the camber of the road, and tramlines a lot more since the spacers. I also have some vibration at motorway speeds which I'm told can be the spacers if they arent fitted perfectly.

Mine are 20 front and 25 back :)

Spacers are the work of the devil....

Being a geeky engineer I never under stood why people would put these on a car. 'Cos it looks good in not a suitable answer!

I've replace two wheel bearings in the last year on my Infinti FX-35 'cos they had 25mm spacers. I now use them as Frisbee.

Whilst respecting planetsurfers clearly more knowledgable reply I've personally never noticed a difference but there clearly will be an impact of some description.

Expecially if your tracking or really smashing the arse out of it round bends.

As Jay mentions above, plus as you are moving the contact patch further out from the steering axis you increase the leverage generated by road cambers, generally felt as a slightly larger tendancy to tramline.

You might feel it a little bit, probably depends on how much time you've spent behind the wheel, and how numb you are! :lol:

Im torn on what to do now. I thought widening the track would make it more stable and handle better. It would look alot better with them fitted. I was wanting to improve the handling by fitting some braces and things but it seems silly to fit all them then reduce the handling by fitting spacers. I fancy getting some of they compression arm bushes now tho. How much do they come in at?

You're putting weight at the worst possible place, so it will impact on your acceleration, your deceleration, and your handling. Whether you consider that a trade off worth having is up to the individual.

If you've already got heavy wheels on your car (OEM 18s or aftermarket ones, anything other than the Rays or the very expensive wheels basically) then you'd probably not going to lose out that much. If you've spent hundreds of pounds on intake, exhaust and remaps to make your car go quicker, it would seem a bit daft to then add weight back in to make it slower. Each to their own. :)

In all honesty, I've added them (to the 370) for the looks but the difference in handling etc is indectable. But I did without them on the previous 350's but then with the LMGT4's wheels they were not necessary IMO, even for the looks. :)

I come from an era when wide wheels/spacers etc were known to prematurely knock out wheel bearings but I can't recall in the 6 years+ I have been on here anyone with either a 350 or a 370 posting up about shot bearings as a result of using spacers. :shrug:

......would the likes of halfords ones just do the same job?

Eibach all the way :thumbs:

:scare: 100% stay clear of cheap and nasty. I doubt that Halfords (or whoever makes them for Halfords) will make them specifically for the Zed. I wouldn't like to risk either the safety of my car or life using possibly inferior made "generic" parts that may or may have had the same R&D that branded equivalents will have had. I'm don't know who makes them for Halfords, so i'm not in a position to say either way. :shrug:

If you want peace of mind do a bit more research then :pmzmanalex:

I was debating over this for a while....

invested in some Eibachs from Cougarstore... worked a charm.. 20s all around i think they are (bad memory).

It really depends on if you are tracking the car and how much you use it. I only use mine a few times a week so not overly concerned. If you're using it as a daily and/or track it, then maybe I wouldn't bother as there may be concerns about what will damage may happen over time...

if you do get them, make sure not to get crappy fleabay ones and make sure the torque is set correctly...

i have used them on some cars and not on others, havent really noticed anything if im being honest

main thing is to get hubcentric spacers, these slip on ones you can get in halfords and similar are not something i would buy.

im all out of spacers ( except a single pair of 20mm hubcentrics ) as of earlier today, but getting some fresh stock made up and should have them at the start of next week, 20mm, 25mm and a few 30mm too this time :thumbs: