Selling to Non UK (French) Buyer

Mickeywheelspin

Hi All,

I'm currently selling my Zed and have had the usual quota of scam emails offering just under the asking price which have all politely been told to do one. However, one guy who has been emailing me about the car (wanted chassis number, photo of headlights to show if they are ok for Europe, etc..) has now booked to travel over from France to see the car. To preempt advice on scammers I've told him that I'm not getting involved in export arrangements / costs and to me it'll be a uk sale in £ by CHAPS or cash at the bank who can then check it for me, all of which he has agreed to with without question.

He may not buy the car, but just so I'm ready, is there anything different I need to do when selling to a non UK resident? Do I just fill out the V5 with a French address and kiss it goodbye?? There are various bits of advice on the DVLA site for exporting cars but I cant find anything that specifically talks about this scenario.

Any thoughts welcome.

Regards,

Mike

dont release the car to him until the money has cleared even with a bankers draft

No - Bankers drafts can be faked and it can take a little while to find out, by which time the car is long gone.

Hmmm could be genuine, heard of a few people coming from Germany to buy cars off people and driving them back purely because of the exchange rates making it cheaper...

I know - it does happen. I try to be optimistic but I'm a miserable git at heart :) No one is getting the car until the bank tell me that the money is secure there is no way the money can be reversed.

Hmmm could be genuine, heard of a few people coming from Germany to buy cars off people and driving them back purely because of the exchange rates making it cheaper...

+1, my brother sold his lotus Elise on after owning it for a couple of years for a profit to a German who brought a suitcase of Euros over and he had someone else come over from France but he wanted to use PayPal whilst he was here.

It happens loads for more modified or rarer cars, nothing to worry about. Just get him to pay you in cash and he can go merrily on his way :thumbs:

As Mr Wheelspin said, even Bankers Drafts can be faxed, cash is pretty much your only 100% option :thumbs:

Thanks guys, but does anyone know if there's anything different to do with the V5 or do I just send it to the DVLA with a French address?

I would've thought that's all you can do :shrug: Maybe give DVLA a bell to double check :thumbs: Hope your sale goes smoothly :)

Thanks guys, but does anyone know if there's anything different to do with the V5 or do I just send it to the DVLA with a French address?

You fill out the purple section for export, not the usual section. It's fairly obvious what to do on the V5.

You fill out section 11 rather section 10 - permanent export notification. Instructions are on the back of that section of the V5.

You only fill out section 11 - V5c/4 - if you are personally exporting the vehicle for more than 12 months.

It says this clearly on the back of section 11 :thumbs:

see here on pg 8 http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_065264.pdf

It says if you are exporting for less than twelve months or selling privately to someone who does not have a Great Britain address....

"You should fill in sections 6 and 10 with the new keeper’s name and address. Both you and the new keeper (buyer) must sign and date the declaration in section 8. Give the whole V5C to the new keeper to aid registration abroad.

You should then send a signed letter to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AG giving

the vehicle’s registration number, the make and model of the vehicle, the

date of sale or transfer, and the name and address of the new keeper.

Once we know about the change of keeper, you should receive an acknowledgement letter to confirm that you are no longer responsible for

the vehicle. If you do not receive the letter within 4 weeks, please phone

0300 790 6802. "

You only fill out section 11 - V5c/4 - if you are personally exporting the vehicle for more than 12 months.

It says this clearly on the back of section 11 :thumbs:

:doh:

Bah, minor details. :lol: I knew I should have checked rather than relying on my (obviously poor) memory. :bangin:

Thanks Vik54 - that's really useful.

I knew that the seller isn't supposed to fill out the export section but couldn't find anything on selling overseas.

Here's hoping that he turns up with a suitcase full of cash. :)

:lol::lol::lol:

money_suitcase_r.jpg

Even with cash I would be wary unless it's sterling. Most of us don't have enough experience handling Euro's to know instantly if they're real or fake. Make sure he brings cash then go to the bank with him to lodge it, then hopefully all is ok.