Watches

mc

I think when your spending that kind of money on a watch you need to become a badge whore.......badge isn't cool enough for that dollar in my opinion.

+1

Lets be honest, a £50 Timex will keep time just as well as a £15,000 Rolex, so the only point in having a really expensive watch is for the wrist bling.

I wouldn't bat an eyelid if you told me that Victorinox was only £100, and it doesn't seem like it actually does anything special to earn its pricetag.

DB

I think when your spending that kind of money on a watch you need to become a badge whore.......badge isn't cool enough for that dollar in my opinion.

+1

Lets be honest, a £50 Timex will keep time just as well as a £15,000 Rolex, so the only point in having a really expensive watch is for the wrist bling.

I wouldn't bat an eyelid if you told me that Victorinox was only £100, and it doesn't seem like it actually does anything special to earn its pricetag.

DB

Yeah I didn't even know they did watches until recently. But it's swiss and automatic and well made I would think. I don't know what special features you expect from a watch?

I was going to get a blue Omega Seamaster, second hand from a colleague, but it needed too much work to tidy it up.

Not too keen on most of the Tags really.

For something that I'll use every day and probably keep forever, I don't mind spending a few quid. (not enough for a gold Rolex though!)

Thanks for the link Martin, some interesting ideas there.

+1

DB

Actually you are wrong... the £50 Timex will prob keep better time than the Rolex :lol:

+1

DB

Actually you are wrong... the £50 Timex will prob keep better time than the Rolex :lol:

Yea, lol, you're almost certainly right. I went through several swiss automatics (not quite Rolexes though) that lost like half a minute a day before I gave up and went back to a quartz, :lol:

DB

Funnily enough I had a conversation with a good friend about watches the other day when he told me he was getting his Tag 'serviced' for £100 I said I would rather buy a £100 every year than spend £1,000 and then have to have it serviced...

He then began to tell me all the things his Tag could do etc etc.... At the end he looked all smug until I reminded him he is a manager at PCWorld and the likelyhood of him needing to know the time on the moon in zero gravity or at the bottom of the sea at 30,000 leagues was to be frank quite a long shot.... I then pointed out that his iPhone had a perfectly good clock on it and he was in fact a vain b*stard :lol:

No disrespect intended to anyone with an expensive watch (and believe me I'd quite like a Rado watch) but I think they almost immediately make you look a bit of a prat unless your loaded.

The PC world example above is a prime example - you just look like you've spunked all your cash on a watch to look cool and in doing so have immediately become uncool.

The coolest thing a multimillionaire could do is buy a cheap Casio!

No disrespect intended to anyone with an expensive watch (and believe me I'd quite like a Rado watch) but I think they almost immediately make you look a bit of a prat unless your loaded.

The PC world example above is a prime example - you just look like you've spunked all your cash on a watch to look cool and in doing so have immediately become uncool.

+1,000,000

Except I get the same thing from said PCWorld mate for driving the Zed :blush:

Although I tell him it is a sports car for the common man :#1:

At that sort of money and that sort of size/style, have a look at the Oris Diver range. One of the most well renowned Swiss makers and the classic designs will age well.

But then again I would say that... this is how i justified myself getting one!

So I am a prat because I like to colect rolex? Hmm strange. I actually think it finishes off the way you look. People spend a fortune on clothes, shoes etc but for me... if your wearing a nice suit then the finishing touch is a nice watch. It shows a bit of class. Anyone can go out and buy expensive watches but its how you wear them that makes the difference. Its like when people hate porsche drivers etc.... is it just because of the badge? I dont get it but hey..

I wear a Tag link near enough daily. It was a present to myself and I still love it.

My dad wears a gold and diamond rolex daily. Although, he bought his 2 years ago and the price has increased by £4k (20%) in 2 years.

Both of us are happy and at the end of the day, everybody spends there money the way they like.

You look a prat buying a really flash sports car when a crappy £100 Fiesta will get you everywhere you need to go.

SeewhatIdidthere? ;)

Funny you should bring this up as a topic, as I was looking yesterday for a cheapy watch to wear for work but that I could still wear out for a night. I was looking at the Boss Orange 1512531, as I'm really into orange right now for some reason. I've still got my Datejust that my parents bought me for my 21st if I want something a bit more special on my arm, so I think this may be a good buy. Like SMD says, I'll just bin it after a year if it's knackered.

Ultimate style over substance, does anyone buy an expensive watch because it tells the time better than another watch, or because of how it looks and makes them feel :shrug:

Who is the bigger prat I guess the guy who spends £2k on a watch or the guy who buys a Z4 that vibrates a stool through his digestive tract :stir:

:boxing:

+1

I was at a stag do a little while ago and there was a chap there that was very loud and very flash. I was told in advance about him. :surrender:

At dinner he banged on about this watch he had bought that cost him 7k. I laughed and told him he got mugged off. He is a "keep up with the jones" type guy.

Now as the night progressed and we got more drunk, we were going from the night club to the strip club and the pin on the strap fell out and his watch slipped off his wrist and landed straight on the face. It smashed.

Now he had been telling me that it was the best watch and it was made from an alien alloy derived from optimus primes left butt cheek.

As you can imagine i wet myself with laughter and it was obvious the watch was a fake.

This is why i have a nice watch that cost 300 quid and looks classy, that only comes out on rare occasions. And a normal one that cost 50 quid that looks as nice just 7k cheaper.

Its a status symbol and if your not rich enough to get a super duper flash bastard one. Dont bother!

(and believe me I'd quite like a Rado watch)

+1, Got myself a Rado three years ago, simple black face with no time marks, date, ceramic wrist band so very light. Simple, elegant, and will hopefully stand the test of time as never intend on spending that amount of money on a watch again - especially as Z related items now seem to demolish the disposable income

Ultimate style over substance, does anyone buy an expensive watch because it tells the time better than another watch, or because of how it looks and makes them feel :shrug:

Who is the bigger prat I guess the guy who spends £2k on a watch or the guy who buys a Z4 that vibrates a stool through his digestive tract :stir:

:boxing:

Do my volks go any faster than normal wheels? :p In fact, does your carbon kit make the dash any more functional? ;)

No, we're both style hos :p I personally like my TH because it's well built and looks nice, same as my hamilton. I don't see why you'd need to show off either.

Some people even collect watches, personally, I don't see why it's different to collecting anything else, except something like a rolex probably accrues in value.