Skint - Tyre Recommendations

Posidrive

I need 2 new front tyres but other car related expenses (New timing chain of the other half's Honda and possible major engine work on the Zed) mean that the pot is rather empty at the moment. Anyone got any recommendations that will prevent me ending up in a ditch?

Where abouts are you. I have some part worn bridgestone re40 fronts that are ok i think. Been in my shed a year i was keeping them incase i got a puncture after i changes all 4 but if it would help drop me a pm. I wont want much for em and they will keep you going.

Im in chesterfield if your interested give me a shout ill dig em out and take a couple of pics.

Have a look at second hand tyres, it's much better to get decent used ones than sub-standard new ones in my opinion.

Here's an ebay link example ;

RE050A's (rear) Not sure of the Ecopia spec, have a google. They have repairs though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-245-45-1 ... 3376d8d943

Also, look out for wheels with tyres, it's a good way to get cheap tyres especially if the rims are bad. You might make a bit back if you sell the wheels afterwards.

Have a look at second hand tyres, it's much better to get decent used ones than sub-standard new ones in my opinion.

RE050A's (rear) Not sure of the Ecopia spec, have a google. They have repairs though.

:headhurt: Repaired tyres are not better than new ones, I dont care what the name on the side is.

Crap wheels with good tyres are a good way of saving money though, theres even a chap selling a set of Rays with RE040's on here at the moment as it happens :)

:headhurt: Repaired tyres are not better than new ones, I dont care what the name on the side is.

I'm with you there, I just bought a set of RE050A's on wheels and I avoided any which had repairs.....

That's why I mentioned the repairs ;)

...... possible major engine work on the Zed) mean that the pot is rather empty at the moment.

Is it worth finding out how much this 'possible major engine work' will cost you first - you will then know your budget for tyres.

Also, isn't it worth getting this work done first if it is major? Bit pointless having new boots on your Zed if it's gone up in a cloud of smoke. :shrug:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the offers and comment guys. In the end I decided to match up with the rears so got some new Falkens. They seem to have gone up in price recently but bit the bullet anyway.

Looks like the oil consumption issue is far less severe that I thought. Had an oil change yesterday and we measured what came out. Looks like she had drunk about 1 litre in 6000 miles while while not wonderful is far less worrying than I thought considering the highish mileage. Looks like I had been a bit of a dipstick while reading the dipstick. Anyone know what the volume of oil is between high and low on the dipstick?

So, just the other half's Honda to fix now. Really peaved, the worn timing chain is a know issue that Honda extended the warranty to 7 years for and with our luck it appeared 6 months too late :(. I would never buy another Honda diesel, 2 dead turbos and now this chain issue in 100k (ish) miles :(

Anyone know what the volume of oil is between high and low on the dipstick?

I think I recall reading on here that it's about a litre, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct me. :boxing:

it would be about a litre possible 3/4 of a litre