In depth Z4 review - ***TEXT HEAVY***

Ricey

Meh its alright like.

Interior;

Dull. Reasonable quality but dull.

Exterior;

Very pretty in my opinion but its all lines which means a ding stands out a mile. The nose is appallingly low as well so its tough to judge kerbs.

Handelling;

Far more nimble than the zed. Definitely have more confidence to drive it harder.

Performance;

Acceptable. Noise is crap. Fast when thrashed but not very torquey.

Ride;

A 5 min journey can vibrate a turd through your entire intestinal tract and engage it ready for exit. BONE SHATTERING (runflats as discussed a million times).

Gadgets;

Hood is awesome (10 seconds and up or down). Sat Nav is literally the most useless thing I've ever seen. Sport button.........nice but whats the point? Just be on all the time. CD changer/CD interface retarded.

Practicality;

Stress of getting in is akin to an Elise but without the enjoyment. Boot is quality - fits a full sized suitcase!

Cost;

AVE 27.1 MPG over 3 tanks now with a few 'good runs'. Not bad for a 3 litre but you really feel it should be pumping more than 220BHP (newer ones do).

Unfortunately I also had to spend £350 fixing the 'fault in the death star'.........the bullet proof engine has a rickety oil filter housing which can fail.

Tyres are 300 quid a corner......thankfully mine had some meat on them.

I have a few whacky and a few not quite so whacky ideas but they'e the usual boring 'other car' fodder.

Everytime I see one i think , yeah they look quite good but hate the boring interiors

Wonder how much quicker the 3.0 si 265 bhp version feels?

To be honest mate you could probably spice it up a bit yourself with some spraying/wrapping. The brushed aluminum is quite nice but the plasics are really weird.....sort of solid but cheap looking (even the Zed looks better quality).

Ok i think I'm fairly set on a merc cl500 or a clk500

Clk appears to be the better car on the basis that the cl has a lot of niggles, it's over a second slower and has worse fuel consumption......it does however have air cooled massaging seats!

Whilst we're on the subject of new cars though had anyone ever wondered why a 5 liter v8 has the same fuel consumption as the zed? Why would that be? It's not even significantly slower and it must weigh a lot more.....plus its an auto box

I like Z4, huge improvement on the Z3! It was on my short list of 4 cars before finally deciding on the Zed. I just couldn't justify a roadster living in Northern Ireland where we get about half the miserable amount of warm sunny days as the mainland. I'm regretting it now that the sun has been out for a week or so though, but come autumn I'll be glad of my nice warm hard roof :D

Ok i think I'm fairly set on a merc cl500 or a clk500

Clk appears to be the better car on the basis that the cl has a lot of niggles, it's over a second slower and has worse fuel consumption......it does however have air cooled massaging seats!

Whilst we're on the subject of new cars though had anyone ever wondered why a 5 liter v8 has the same fuel consumption as the zed? Why would that be? It's not even significantly slower and it must weigh a lot more.....plus its an auto box

My dad had a s500 w220 so same engine. Cooling/heating massing seats are awesome!

Its not really the same my car averages 27ish mpg. My dads s500L used to manage about 20mpg round town and 23-4 combined. You can get 26mpg on the motorway though. Yes the CL will have more niggles as its a car that was 100k brand new and shares its parts with the s500. Remember S klasse means "in a class of its own" and its true. My dad has a e270 w211 now and its nice but not as nice as the s500.

The leather will be nicer/softer in the cl500. More toys in the cl. nicer ride. More bang for your buck. nice stitching in the leather, nicer interior. but on the flip side more toys more things to go wrong. Nicer ride but if it has airmatic the ride will be sublime but when it goes not if but when its big moolah. They also have the cool suction door thing so you tap the doors to shut them thing shlick they are sucked closed.

The CL is a S class coupe really. Its not sporty but if you drive the way it wants to be driven rather than the way you want to drive it, it will be awesome. E.g. try and throw it into a corner it will under steer and not do much. If you take the corner wider wait for understeer then push it out of the corner it likes that and you can keep up with smaller cars. Epic cruisers, tired when coming home or need to do a daily work grind takes the misrableness away as your in an awesome interior with a great engine. But this comes with the cost of being more detached than the clk. But the CL feels german through and through. its built like a tank. Engineering is fantastic. Every material you touch or look at is expensive. This isnt the case in the CLK.

The CLK is just a fancy C class coupe IMO. It looks less dated then CL though. Cheaper to run on fuel but maintenance too. Its not that special on the inside compared to the CL but you could say its more focused. No airmatic Im sure so cheaper there too. They handle so so much better though they dont feel wallowy or boaty on a b road. You can give it some stick and the chassis is great. Lots of feel and confidence. Looks nicer too. Eaiser to park as its smaller but CL's at low speed have finger light steering.

So what should you get? Drive both and see. Engine note is awesome but highy silenced. Get an exhaust they sound great.

The 5l v8's are torquey as hell and rarely need redlining to get performance out of them. I think they are decent on fuel as the CL isnt that much heavier than a 350 plus is the engine isnt labouring at all. Thats the best thing you think the 350 is torquey a 5l v8 shows you what "effortless power" is.

Check for snapped springs funny noises and a few other things on the CLK (cant remember now)

Check the car lowers and rises properly on start and stop for the CL. Check the multi cd changer works and check for water getting into it. Check ALL electric buttons, masaging heating cooling dampener stiffing, raise car, tilt sensor off sunblind up rear headrests down. Check kick down works and the car changes gear with no stutter or jerkiness. You shouldnt really be able to tell when its shifting. Engine should idle under 1k. It should start cleanly first time if not CPS is broke only £50 to fix but problem will become worse if you dont change it. Make sure hot air comes out of the vents if not the duo valve is broke. Check the doors suck in properly. Check the glass is the same all round, my dads was double glazed but some people dont put double glazing if it smashes. the engine should be silky smooth you can do the 50p trick. Handbrake is where your clutch would be and your handbrake release is where your right hand usually is. Dont look an idiot like I did the first time :lol:

They are great cars and with them being worth so little dont get them serviced off Merc do it yourself. 90% of things are so so so easy to do on merc they are fantastic in someways. :thumbs:

Hope that helps.

3 questions (sorry but MB forums are poo so I'm relying on the Zed owning world for advice!). CLK500's are in very short supply at my budget but CL500 and CL600's :scare: are very affordable and low milers.

However;

1. Is getting the CL600 at 5.8l V12 just stupid

2. Is there any way to replace the wood trim....did they come with anything a bit less old mannish.

3. Is replacing it total sacrilage and I shouldn't be in the car in the first place if thats my idea.

I will prob be able to find a CLK500 eventually but the CL just has a ludicrous amount of toys but does look a bit 'last gen' whereas the CLK looks nice and modern inside.

I only hold onto cars for 6-12 months so I guess I'm not really too fussed at the running cost provided nothing breaks.

Also the CL500 is 0-60 in 7.9 seconds!!! Isn't it the same engine as the CLK500? why so slow!!!!

You need to research your Mercs a bit more, the numbers on the back arent any indication of what they can do :D

To give you an idea (and I havent just done this from memory BTW), in the W215 (00-06) CL's, the CL500 had a 5.0 engine, but the CL600, facelift CL600, CL55 AMG and facelift CL55 AMG all have varying power 5.5 litre lumps. There was also a CLK55 AMG available until 02, after 02 there was a CLK 500, a CLK55 AMG and a CLK63 AMG which were totally different again. Power was anything from 300hp up to 493hp in these cars apparently. Jesus. :surrender:

Depends on which year you get. The first cl600's are 5.5 n/a v12. They are about 350-360ish bhp. The later ones are 5.5 bi turbo and have 493bhp which is the same as the cl55 Amg. They claim it's a different drive the 55 being sportier and the 600 being more luxurious either way they are sill fast. Both will be silly to run but if your not hammering the miles then your ok. The cl600 with turbos obviously have a few more problems with having turbos but with nearly 500bhp standard and the ability to get more cheaply it has it's advantages.

If you get a clk then go for a sport rather than an avantgarde. Some CL's came with a greyish wood I'm sure. Tbh you get used to it and it looks good. If you really hate it just wrap it :dance:

They merc forums will poo poo you but 80% of them are idiots. So don't take any notice.

The Clk is a c class where as a cl is an S class. The plus seats extra size and all the toys bump up the weight. Tbh forget 0-60 time as its heavy car. When testing one go from 30-70. It's pretty fast. Unless the lure of the v12 is too much. You need to test drive both IMO as they are different cars.

You need to research your Mercs a bit more, the numbers on the back arent any indication of what they can do :D

To give you an idea (and I havent just done this from memory BTW), in the W215 (00-06) CL's, the CL500 had a 5.0 engine, but the CL600, facelift CL600, CL55 AMG and facelift CL55 AMG all have varying power 5.5 litre lumps. There was also a CLK55 AMG available until 02, after 02 there was a CLK 500, a CLK55 AMG and a CLK63 AMG which were totally different again. Power was anything from 300hp up to 493hp in these cars apparently. Jesus. :surrender:

Yes the Amg's the early ones made about 350bhp same as the cl600 5.5 v12 n/a. Then the supercharged the Amg engines to make 493bhp. The v12 got twin turbos and got 493bhp. This was about 2003 I think. Both engines are sometimes known to make more power than quoted :surrender:

Sorry I should have been clearer - I know what all the engines are & 0-60 times etc based on the age I'm looking for.

CLK500 is 5l V8 based on year I'm looking at and the CL600 is 5.8 V12 - both naturally aspirated.

I'm not mega fussed about 0-60 but its always a useful indicator and the CL500 at 7.9 is frigging slow man! Both engines are pumping the same BPH and torque so I was a bit confused as to just how different they could be. CLK500 is a shade over 6 seconds.........surely its not that much lighter!

I reckon I'm doing around 7-8k a year so it shouldn't be the end of the world with either fuel consumption.......lest we forget that I once owned an RX8 so ultimate pain of MPG in the teens is not lost on me!

V12.......how many chances am I going to get in my life to own a V12 with seats that massage your bum :cloud9:

It's also got the added bonus of being the same garage that sold me the Z4 so

A) I trust them

B) they can't stiff me too badly if I do have to do a trade down.

Bizarrely they've got 2 CL600's in stock!

V12.......how many chances am I going to get in my life to own a V12 with seats that massage your bum :cloud9:

It's also got the added bonus of being the same garage that sold me the Z4 so

A) I trust them

B) they can't stiff me too badly if I do have to do a trade down.

Bizarrely they've got 2 CL600's in stock!

Result... get down there man :snack: