Have you retired your CD collection?

HEADPHONES

Over the past 25 years I have amassed about 1000 CDs, but find over the past few years have hardly touched them with it being more convenient using my iPod/mp3 players as a source. Nowadays I mainly listen through headphones on a portable or in the car.

I blame the arrival of sprogs 4yrs ago for me not "LISTENING" to music at home anymore and ditching the Bose mulichanger for not using CDs in the car.

So for those of you who still sit down at home to really enjoy your tunes as opposed to in the kitchen while cooking etc in the background, do you still dust off your CDs or even your vinyl for the added aural pleasure? Or do you even use CDs in your zed's HU over the convenience of mp3 for the improved quality?

ditched cds at home aaaages ago... all music is stored on my laptop and then hooked up to speakers.

In the car, it used to be mp3 cds, but then went back to normal cds for the standard cd changer in the zed (all other cars had aftermarket HUs), but since that is worse than terrible i bought an 8gb mp3 player and a cassette adapter, which is working just fine at the moment - and allows me to keep the BOSE amps and the steering wheels without the faff of ripping the dash apart.

All my CDs are ripped to lossless and stored on the media server, then streamed to wherever I want.

Same here. I dont think ive ever really been into playing CD`s much. Ive always used a PC as a media centre even before they became more mainstream. I remember setting my first one up back in around 1995 or 1996 and forking out £500 for a CD burner and even more for a big enough hard drive to store all my media on. I used to rip all my cd`s to mp3, then play them back from the pc via my hifi. The CD went into a box under the bed gathering dust.

When the first mp3 players started coming out I remember buying one which had 64mb memory on it. :lol: it was the size of a packet of cigarettes. And d/l`ing mp3`s off the net... would take around 20minutes per track. Then as soon as mobile phones started being able to play mp3`s, the mp3 player was dumped and id just use a sony erricson phone with a big sd card on it to do the same stuff.

When I think back now, it feels weird that at the time I was the only one of my mates who was really into mp3`s and using their pc like this. Most had top of the range cd players and huge cd collections! Now, media centres and boxes like the WD Live box are commonplace and everyone does it!

Now ive a 6gb NAS box, streaming everything to where ever in the world I am.

I've just got a cheque from MusicMagpie for my collection. It had been gathering dust for the past 4 years as I've had everything ripped for ages. :wave:

Got enough to buy one of my new rear tyres, so pleased I finally did it. :)

Am I right in thinking though that you're now breaking the copyright laws by having got rid of your CD collection but still kept the rips? Not that I give a hoot really, but I'm pretty sure I'm right in saying that.

Am I right in thinking though that you're now breaking the copyright laws by having got rid of your CD collection but still kept the rips? Not that I give a hoot really, but I'm pretty sure I'm right in saying that.

Thats my understanding of it. Think of CD`s as a kinda license for you to have that content and its up to you how you use it - whether you tape it, mp3 it, or just play the cd. But, once you sell that CD you are selling the rights to use that material.

Hence, ive still got all my cd`s in the loft. For the 99p each most of them are worth its hardly worth me selling them, only to have to purchase them in a digital form online in order to legally play them.

Almost certainly, that's one of the reasons I've not sold my LP's , I only download stuff that I already have, many of my records are 30+ years old and a bit crackly these days.

Pete