May I get all 'psychological' again please?

twobears

The G Man, I'm not sure what 'mentally disabled' actually means or how you can classify it to various degrees? Sounds a bit odd to me.

I am sure that you are right when you say that talking can help, after all Sigmund Freud pioneered the 'talking cure' all those years ago and who am I to argue with him? Well, except the bit where he thinks I want a penis. I really don't :thumbdown: Isn't it the case though that talking to the right person is what leads to the greatest therapeutic success? It's quite right that you challenge prejudice by discussing your mental health issues openly but wouldn't you get more help by talking to someone trained if you wanted to overcome your issues? That's the bit I can't understand on the other board. If these women, one of whom is currently busy calling me 'a knob' to use her own words, really wanted to ameliorate their condition then surely they would seek professional input rather than just whining on endlessly on a public forum?

I don't need any more "therapy", done all the counselling stuff, that was bizzare :wacko: Well covered now on the mental stakes, one of my daughters is a mental health nurse, she says i'm more like 99.9% mentally disabled :yahoo: , and anyone who's met me agrees :bangin:

I just wanted to say that there are males out there that will talk about "ishoos" no probs, but we do like to say that it's all wimins fault :stir:

I've read that women like to speak about their personal issues not because they want solutions but simply because they need to talk. This comes from a book called "Why Men don't listen and women can't read maps".They have shown on brain scans of women that their speech ability is far more developed than men and is believed to be a result of their "brain wiring" as social group members from the cavemen days and onwards. The need to share also bonds women together. Men apparently have less verbal capability as we were hunters and used as little verbal communication as possible to express intentions to minimise the threat of detection and our brains through time are wired accordingly. Men will less often speak openly on the personal issues about which you speak as they tend to instead prefer to think things through by themselves.

This is all supposed to represent the average of the male/female population and there are of course differences in any population. Can be one of the reasons men annoy women and vice versa as the woman at the end of the day wants to speak about her day and the problems she faced just to talk it out while the man listening thinks she wants these problems solved and keeps offering solutions to fix things for her. Woman doesn't want to be fixed and man can't understand why she is babbling on in this case as he just wants a bit of peace. :lol:

Leeroy, sweetheart, can you explain exactly what I've done to upset you? You are the only person who has made me feel unwelcome and I'd rather know what I've done than have you just following me round trying, non too subtly, to put me off posting.

p.s. if you want to point me in the direction of some of the fascinating threads you've created I'd be happy to read them and learn how to post properly.

rmgthatsme, I agree with some of that e.g. that women like to talk about problems without necessarily wanting a solution. Most women definitely like to talk a lot too. I know that I do :blush: Luckily for me my husband doesn't seem to mind and I've explained to him that I'm not looking for him to solve my problems unless specifically asked as I prefer to sort things out myself :D

I'm not totally convinced about the 'need to share' bonding women together. Of course, it could work like that but we must also acknowledge that many (by no means all) women are each others harshest critics. Sad but true. I am, or try to be, more of a 'bonder' than a catty sort but there are some women who simply don't want to bond and would much prefer to deride other women's taste in clothing/men/music etc, etc.

I always think these 'Men are from Mars ...' type books are a bit reductive and can bend the facts to fit the author's theory, although they do sometimes contain a kernel of truth.

For anyone complaining about these type of topics can I just say that:

1) You have the option not to read threads. Freedom of choice and all that.

2) You have the option to 'View unread posts' or 'View unread inc OT'. May I suggest selecting the former if you widsh to avoid non car related posting.

3) You can add people as a 'foe' to hide their posts forever.

And if you absolutely must ignore these points then I would expect any response to be respectful at least. :)

For anyone complaining about these type of topics can I just say that:

1) You have the option not to read threads. Freedom of choice and all that.

2) You have the option to 'View unread posts' or 'View unread inc OT'. May I suggest selecting the former if you widsh to avoid non car related posting.

3) You can add people as a 'foe' to hide their posts forever.

And if you absolutely must ignore these points then I would expect any response to be respectful at least. :)

*Stew added as foe* :lol::p

I think the internet becomes a dangerous place for people who have real problems because the use it to try and diagnose what's up with themselves and come across a million and one threads with a million and one different people talking about every conceivable 'feeling' you can think of.

I went a bit mentol about 18 months ago with the pressure of a few things. I was quite happy to have counselling though.....I actually asked my.counsellor to.ban me from researching anxiety on the bet because there's so much crap.....you end up a hypochondriac!

Please do your best to understand what im typing because this is the 4th effing time I've done it and my phone is going bananas because I've smashed the screen and im in hospital with one arm in a pissing sling

Post received and understood Ricey. Ouch to the arm. Hope you're ok?

Nothing a good amputation wouldn't sort out.

Hospitals are dire places aren't they......they remind me of Aldi. Full of wastrels, old women with beards, addicts , old men splashed with wee, staff who wish they'd chosen another career and a few confused looking normal people who wonder who they wronged to have this date bestowed upon them .

And trolleys.....lots of trolleys.

It will come as no surprise to some that I have suffered from mental illness in the past, it was around the time I was diagnosed with cancer and my marriage broke up at the same time...

Anyway I am OK now or so the voices keep telling me anyway :blush:

I don't generally talk about personal stuff on here as I have plenty of friends and family to talk to, but I have spoken to others mostly by PM about personal things that they thought I could help with, which was nice.