London Bars and Restaurants

rmacnair

I'm off to London for 3 days with the girlfriend (leaving this evening) and was wondering if anyone can suggest some bars and restaurants to go to which won't cost me my month's wages.

I'm staying near the London Eye/Waterloo station. Any ideas?

P.S. I like to sit down so places with plenty of chairs would make me happy :D

Awesome Asian food can be found at Ping Pong which is a pretty stylish restaurant by the royal festival hall, pretty much on your door step. Also forget the OXO tower and head further along the south bank for the Tate Modern, the bar and café\restaurant on the top floor is open fairly late has awesome views for about a 1/3rd of the price.

The beer garden setup at the Udderbelly comedy festival, also on southbank by the London eye is also pretty cool and a bit different. Loads of patio heaters too you'll appreciate at this time of year.

Head over to Leicester Square and Piccadilly for random bars and restaurants - a friend rates the Aberdeen Angus steakhouse and there are some decent Irish bars around there too.

Cheers, I've heard good things about PingPong. Will definitely try that one out and my girlfriend is obsessed with steak so angus steakhouse is a must.

Loads of patio heaters too you'll appreciate at this time of year.

I'm a notherner and as such will be wearing shorts, t-shirt and sunglasses

Anywhere in that area will be fairly touristy (i.e. expensive) but if you look for Wetherspoons they can be OK for beer and non killer food prices. For better quality and (relatively) cheaper prices look for Samuel Smiths pubs (not many around but they have their own beer which is good and don’t charge the earth!)

Aberdeen Steakhouse isn’t that good but if you want good meat go to Bodeans (one in Soho, one in Tower Hill) Southern US slow cooked meat that is really good!

Also do some web searching for 2 for 1 offers etc at chain restaurants. What else do you want to see? Worth getting out of the centre a bit as mostly touristy! Camden is a different area and has a cool market and lots of smaller restaurants / pubs that aren’t too bad?

Get an Oyster card as well to save some money on the tube / bus etc, only a fiver deposit which I think you can get back at the end?

Enjoy!

Some good tips there, I'd avoid Aberdeen Angus restaurants though as they're a bit touristy.

For good steak take your GF to Gaucho in Piccadilly - it's a bit pricy but the meat is amazing.

The Udderbelly is a good tip too, check out the shows, they normally have some good stuff. The 'garden' is a good place to chill for awhile.

I haven't found the drinks to be much more expensive than oop north TBH, at least if you avoid the usual tourist traps. What did surprise me is the number of old school boozers, I naively expected it to be all wine-bars when I moved here :lol:

Don't laugh but I'm going to the Harry Potter studio tour tomorrow. I'm a massive fan and grew up with the books. not sure what to do Thursday and Friday yet though. We have a tastecard which gets 2-4-1 and 50% off in a load of places so will see where accepts that.

Good call on the Oyster card

Another cheap but awesome Asian food option is Tokyo Diner in Chinatown. Try the chicken katsu don - it's amazing :)

If you're staying near Waterloo, the Firestation does good beer and good food (inc. steaks): http://www.thefirestationwaterloo.com/

Agree with avoiding Angus Steakhouse - much better places for a good steak such as those already mentioned.

Funnily enough you're from near where I grew up bud (Bramhall), so hope you enjoy your visit to the sarf!

Also do some web searching for 2 for 1 offers etc at chain restaurants.

Nice one, Toptable is a booking site with some good offers (50% off food etc). http://www.toptable.com/

Thai Square is good (Thai food, believe it or not!) and I heartily recommend Pho Cafe for Vietnamese if that floats your boat. Both have a few restaurants in popular areas.

some bars and restaurants to go to which won't cost me my month's wages.

Worst advice ever :thumbdown:

;)

It depends on how much you make a month. The view and drinks are good but you won't often get into the bar without a dinner reservation, or maybe I've just been in on the wrong occasion. Of course you should try taking your girlfriend up the Oxo Tower at some point in your relationship, but perhaps on a special occasion unless she really really enjoys that kind of thing. View from the Tate is almost as good.

Oyster is def worth it. V & A and Natural History museums are good, and free. Science museum is generally full of kids. Harry Potter wise - you can find platform 9 3/4 at Kings Cross.

some bars and restaurants to go to which won't cost me my month's wages.

Worst advice ever :thumbdown:

;)

Of course you should try taking your girlfriend up the Oxo Tower at some point in your relationship, but perhaps on a special occasion unless she really really enjoys that kind of thing.

Never heard it called THAT before, but yes always best to ask first :wink:

Massive +1 on avoiding the Aberdeen Angus Steak house places they are overpriced for what they are, you are herded in like cattle (excuse the obvious pun) and when the bill comes you will find your pants well and truly pulled down!

Like any big city, get off the beaten track and you will find lots of places that will be far more welcoming :thumbs:

Sounds like I need to have a word with friend about Angus steak then.

Now Gaucho I like, as much as Argentinian politics are silly the steak is nice. Prices will range from about £25 to £100+ for something special. However they know their meat and how to cook it :yahoo:. If in doubt just go to Nandos and Waterloo has a burger chain owned by a clown or something.

Gauchos is very nice but expensive so depends how rich you feel! triple figures for decent meal with drinks without going too mad!

And there are plenty of old school decent pubs hanging on! list of the Samuel Smiths ones here if you like a decent beer in an oldie world pub: http://www.londonerseye.com/where-are-all-the-samuel-smith-pubs/

Harry Potter should be cool! Imperial War Museum is also pretty impressive and free! http://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-london Holocaust exhibit is worth a see though pretty heavy going. and all the other places mentioned should be good! you'll be tired by the end of it!

Awesome Asian food can be found at Ping Pong which is a pretty stylish restaurant by the royal festival hall, pretty much on your door step. Also forget the OXO tower and head further along the south bank for the Tate Modern, the bar and café\restaurant on the top floor is open fairly late has awesome views for about a 1/3rd of the price.

The beer garden setup at the Udderbelly comedy festival, also on southbank by the London eye is also pretty cool and a bit different. Loads of patio heaters too you'll appreciate at this time of year.

Head over to Leicester Square and Piccadilly for random bars and restaurants - a friend rates the Aberdeen Angus steakhouse and there are some decent Irish bars around there too.

God damn it you beat me to this one.... I took my wife up the Oxo Tower for her birthday, but i think on refelction, she would have preferred flowers.......... I thank you... :lol::lol:

Gauchos is very nice but expensive so depends how rich you feel! triple figures for decent meal with drinks without going too mad!

I always try and go to gaucho's when in town, however I only ever go on business and either try and egt someone more senior to take me or wipe out my daily allowance :lol:

I did quite a bit of walking last time I was down there as I had a few american colleagues with me and there are a lot of nice little pubs off the beaten track that do a decent pint for a decent price.. Mind you you're from Knutsford so you may be used to inflated prices.

One tip, there is what seemed like a nice little pub near Trafalgar Square and as one of the guys needed a pit stop they wanted to go in and have a pint while he used their facilities.... He headed straight to the gents which was downstairs while we walked to the bar.... then realised it was an establishment catering for a different sexual orientation so we decided to wait outside as it was soooo over the top. The guy was missing for about 20 minutes as down stairs was also a live stage and he had to fight his way to and from the gents where he was hit on quite a bit.

Morale of the story, avoid a pub called "halfway to heaven" wish we'd looked at the name first :lol:

I always try and go to gaucho's when in town, however I only ever go on business and either try and egt someone more senior to take me or wipe out my daily allowance :lol:

I did quite a bit of walking last time I was down there as I had a few american colleagues with me and there are a lot of nice little pubs off the beaten track that do a decent pint for a decent price.. Mind you you're from Knutsford so you may be used to inflated prices.

One tip, there is what seemed like a nice little pub near Trafalgar Square and as one of the guys needed a pit stop they wanted to go in and have a pint while he used their facilities.... He headed straight to the gents which was downstairs while we walked to the bar.... then realised it was an establishment catering for a different sexual orientation so we decided to wait outside as it was soooo over the top. The guy was missing for about 20 minutes as down stairs was also a live stage and he had to fight his way to and from the gents where he was hit on quite a bit.

Morale of the story, avoid a pub called "halfway to heaven" wish we'd looked at the name first :lol:

Haha, unlucky - I pass that pub most days on my way to work :lol: It reminds me of a time when me and my mates did the same thing in Amsterdam - luckily I clocked it too and a couple of us waited outside, the others had already bought a drink before they realised! That drink didn't last long :lol:

If you like Italian, pizza and pasta then vapianos is great for lunch, its just of oxford street and i always make sure I visit when in London, its cheap aswell.

I really like the steak houses aswell, last one I visited was in covent garden and was great if a not a little expensive.

There is a good steak restaurant called black and blue right in borough market - a nice wander up the river if you are staying by the eye. You will also find some good pubs in there - market porter, brew master. The market gets busy but is worth a wander. There is a fresh cider stall in there as well!

If you are a spirit drinker, pay a visit to vineopolis which is just off borough market - they have a whiskey Exchange shop in there which has one of the best spirit collections that you will find to pick from. It's a buy and take home rather than sit and drink.

Covent garden has the porter house which does all manner of beers and usually has live bands and just up the road from there is the maple leaf which is reasonably priced. Both good for seating.

Waxy o'connors just off leicester square is quite an experience...its all underground and has some nice seating and a good atmosphere.

Enjoy!

Back from my trip, great time!!

Ended up going to one of the angus steal houses near piccadilly. Dunno what everyone complained about, it was great!!!

Went to loads of bars and ate loads of food too, including some weird wrap at 3am

Also went to the ripley believe it or not museum, weird place but well worth a visit.

Not too happy about my last day though. We walked through st james' park feeding the squirrells when one little b*stard scratched my hand and unfortunately i'm not up to date with my tetanus so a big beedle for this week, joy.

On the plus side, back driving my zed in the glorious sunshine today :)