When you see the car you know you'll buy! ::HELP::

RatedR

Looking for some advice here I think from you seasoned Zed-buying veterans

So the story is - looking for a Zed since I got the budget up to what I needed recently, and always thought I'd go with a dealer for security. Been to test drive a couple but knew in the back of my head there were reasons why I didn't truly want them, be it bodywork, high mileage, etc.

This week I've seen a Zed that is absolutely perfect for me, I've fallen in lust without even seeing it outside of photographs in all honesty. But it's a private seller. And they are 200 miles away from me. Bear in mind I've only ever owned 1 car and it was bought brand new from a dealer (mainly because it came with a years free insurance) so for many reasons I'm quite nervous about this. I feel like I am going out on a limb a bit with the distance and it being private not trade.

The Zeds I've seen, I haven't truly inspected like a pro because I knew I didn't really want them. This one I do, so I'm looking for any tips or ideas of things I should be checking for beyond the usual generic advice you get on websites that don't apply to any specific car? For example where exactly do I find the VIN on these cars? Should it begin JN1-B-Z3 as suggested by http://courtesyparts.com/vin.php (it's a UK model 2007 with GT)?

I thought I was prepared for all of this until I've come to the point where there is a car I truly want to buy, and don't have the fall back of going to moan at a local dealer if the car isn't as expected . So any guidance would be really appreciated and rewarded with awesome pictures aplenty if and when I actually land the beauty :D

Looking for some advice here I think from you seasoned Zed-buying veterans

So the story is - looking for a Zed since I got the budget up to what I needed recently, and always thought I'd go with a dealer for security. Been to test drive a couple but knew in the back of my head there were reasons why I didn't truly want them, be it bodywork, high mileage, etc.

This week I've seen a Zed that is absolutely perfect for me, I've fallen in lust without even seeing it outside of photographs in all honesty. But it's a private seller. And they are 200 miles away from me. Bear in mind I've only ever owned 1 car and it was bought brand new from a dealer (mainly because it came with a years free insurance) so for many reasons I'm quite nervous about this. I feel like I am going out on a limb a bit with the distance and it being private not trade.

The Zeds I've seen, I haven't truly inspected like a pro because I knew I didn't really want them. This one I do, so I'm looking for any tips or ideas of things I should be checking for beyond the usual generic advice you get on websites that don't apply to any specific car? For example where exactly do I find the VIN on these cars? Should it begin JN1-B-Z3 as suggested by http://courtesyparts.com/vin.php (it's a UK model 2007 with GT)?

I thought I was prepared for all of this until I've come to the point where there is a car I truly want to buy, and don't have the fall back of going to moan at a local dealer if the car isn't as expected . So any guidance would be really appreciated and rewarded with awesome pictures aplenty if and when I actually land the beauty :D

Your the VIN will be on the chassis panel under the bonnet back left of engine bay - UK models will start JN and imports will start Z33 :thumbs:

If you post the add, mabe one of our kind members might be close enough to give it the once over for you. I bought privately and glad I did, turned up at his house to find a shrine to the car in his garage so knew it had been looked after :yahoo:

I agree ;);)

I prefer private to be honest - after all, secondhand car stealer will know nothing about the car, whereas an owner selling you their pride and joy will.

And even if a private seller hides something from you, your no better off with a stealer as they wouldnt know about any issues in the first place.

However, if you turn up and the owner can show you a religious service schedule, and talks animatedly about the car, your likely buying off an enthusiast, which in my view is the best way to buy :thumbs:

200 miles really is not that far B)

I would arrange to go see it, with purchase in mind..... in the mean time go round as many dealers as possible test driving a few so you get the feel (same year/spec/model if possible)

At least then when you drive the one your looking at, and its a rattly old bucket you know to walk away. :thumbs:

+1 on seeing if a forum goer can check it out first :thumbs:

Good luck and I hope its the one for you :yahoo:

Post details of the car it may be someone on the forum selling. If not being sold by a forum member, give your location and someone may be able to go alone and view it with you.

Like you a looked at a number of zeds before finding the right one, it was 250 miles away but well worth travelling for.

Good luck with your search :thumbs:

It surprises me, that people won't travel to buy a car.

I've had a couple of people asking me to drive to them. I've never asked anyone to drive their car to me, and I've travelled (from York), to Bristol, Edinburgh, Southampton, and East London to buy.

A £50 train ticket can get you almost anywhere in the UK, the drive home is worth it.

I try to buy privately. I came slightly unstuck when I bought a Mondeo from a dealer once.

A problem I find with buying privately is paying. From the seller's point of view, the rules about bankers drafts have changed and now they are no different than cheques ie. take 3/4 days to clear and CAN be stopped. As for the buyer paying cash there is no "paper trail" which would provide proof of a transaction in case things go belly up. Plus the risk of carrying large amounts of readies around.

Also there's the business of being insured to test drive the car. The owner would only have third party on you, the buyer, unless he specifically added you to the policy before you came. To do that he would need all your details, driving history, etc. and pay about £10.

Actually I think the seller has to take a lot more on trust in a genuine private sale.

:)

I think it depends on the vehicle you are buying, how rare they are and the price. I had a guy come all the way down from Glasgow down to Cambridge to buy a Ducati 748SPS off me once. He agreed to buy it from me without even seeing it in the flesh. Namely because I was advertising it at a very reasonable price indeed, so it was well worth the trip for him.

If your unsure about cars, and from the sounds of it you said you had only bought 1 previous car. Id definitely get an RAC or AA inspection on the car. Its well worth the money and will flag any problems. If anything goes wrong which they have missed then you have some insurance with them that they will cover it. They really are thorough. My ex had an AA inspection done on her Ford when she bought it and they flagged up the gear box was on the way out. God knows why she bought the car but she did (was before she met me), and sure enough 4 months later the gearbox blows up on it.

I think I read this on here (possibly not). Each body panel has a number on it so that you can check they all match and know that none have been changed. Obviously there could have still been damage but chances are it was light rather than something serious.

Cheers all for the feedback. I've paid for a HPI and history check on it and everything has come out 100% clean, I don't really have any barriers on this now and the seller seems like a genuine guy.

Have got a very keen sports car enthusiast making the trip with me for a second opinion so all in all getting very excited now (he actually put me onto looking at Zeds in the first place at the back end of last year). Am going to a couple of local-ish dealers tomorrow to test drive 07 plate Zeds to get my eye in for the trip on Sunday :thumbs: