How do I know how many owners my car has had?

Rubber

I have had my car for 4 years and it has now come to sell. However, how do I know how many owners the car has had? Can I find this somewhere for free?

I can't remember what I was told when I bought the car from a garage - I didn't get a HPI check or anything. Is it advisable to get one of these for new buyers?

Cheers,

Chris

Sorry to butt in here, wasn't there a thing about the V5s being changed to red due to fraudulant ones? Was everyone to get a red one? Cos' I don't and ill be hopefully trading my car in, in a couple of months. Any issues with this?

Sorry to butt in here, wasn't there a thing about the V5s being changed to red due to fraudulant ones? Was everyone to get a red one? Cos' I don't and ill be hopefully trading my car in, in a couple of months. Any issues with this?

I am led to believe that the reds are only getting issued when a change of owner is notified or when you buy another car new or preowned.

You will not have any issues when you come to p/x :thumbs:

Alex :)

I am led to believe that the reds are only getting issued when a change of owner is notified or when you buy another car new or preowned.

Alex, I got a unsolicited red one and I'm not selling the car. Don't know why.

Yep, its only for new logbooks issued. I moved house last year and had to send off all the log books for my vehicles (about 12 or so), and ended up with a massive pile of shiny new red ones. The red ones also state on the front in big letters something like "this does not prove ownership of the vehicle" which sort of puts you off a bit the first time you see it.

I got the new red ones a few weeks after I'd taxed each of my cars.

I got the new red ones a few weeks after I'd taxed each of my cars.

Taxed my Leon in December and nothing yet :shrug: