Stressful weekend with the car!!

rhys1344

Well, I had fun on Saturday morning...

Got the car up on the axel stands, wheels off... and then when trying to undo the bolts to release the calipers from the pads to change brake pads, the bolt was on tight, applying a big load with my ratchet, which then just suddenly turns very fast sending my hand flying and smashing into a sharp rusty piece of metal...

1396951-fuuuuuu_super.jpg

Broken finger!

So, after cleaning the blood and taping my finger up, decided not to let this stop me...

Then I saw the brake pads I had were the wrong size

1396951-fuuuuuu_super.jpg1396951-fuuuuuu_super.jpg

Wheels back on, down tools... and get drunk watching the rugby and what a nice end to the day that was!! :#1::#1::#1::#1::#1::#1::#1::#1::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

I had a similar experience on Friday fitting my coilovers, only managed to do the fronts as i ran out of light but things just didnt want to come undone :( did manage it in the end, however couldnt refit my strut brace as the threads on the top mounts stick out further than oem shocks so im going to have to cut a bit out of my strutbrace in order to fit (id prefer that to cutting down the threads on the top mount).

plenty of knuckles lost in the process and managed to get a huge blood blister by smashing it on the edge of the disk undoing the bolt holding the brake line to its bracket.

Work gloves ... saves leaving parts of your hand on the car

Horrible thing is, I have 2 pairs of cutproof gloves IN the zed, of course I chose not to wear them!!

In A+E today, they had a funky little tool, burns a hole in finger nails to squeeze the blood out trapped underneath to reduce the swelling...massive pain relief!!!

For the time being and next couple of jobs I need to do, I will get a garage to do it :p:bangin:

ive lost so much skin/blood in the past now an air gun and a host of tools put together get the job done...unbeliavable how easy things are if you got the right tools

if its the calliper mounting bolt turn your front wheel on full lock makes life bit easier and can add a breaker bar then :thumbs:

can you not change gear with your palm??thats what i do when i break my finger (quite often :blush: )

I was swapping some exhausts over on a mate's car on Saturday, and had to Dremel off a particularly stuck bolt. It was all going fine until the entire head of the Dremel, complete with cutting disc still rotating at 10,000RPM, flung itself off the main unit and caught me across my knuckles. :scare:

It wasn't until I looked at the tiny nick on one knuckle (literally only just broke the skin) that I kinda stopped and realised just how incredibly fortunate I'd been to not lose a finger completely. That would've put a downer on the day somewhat I suspect.

I was swapping some exhausts over on a mate's car on Saturday, and had to Dremel off a particularly stuck bolt. It was all going fine until the entire head of the Dremel, complete with cutting disc still rotating at 10,000RPM, flung itself off the main unit and caught me across my knuckles. :scare:

It wasn't until I looked at the tiny nick on one knuckle (literally only just broke the skin) that I kinda stopped and realised just how incredibly fortunate I'd been to not lose a finger completely. That would've put a downer on the day somewhat I suspect.

:scare:

Its always moments like that when you think how close you were. I remember years back I was changing a carb on a mini and when your bent over under a mini`s bonnet you dont have much room. I was just re-attaching the choke cable which was a solid piece of wire so it had a bit of spring to it. It pinged up and hit me just to the right of my eye. I thought "phew" that was close. Then carried on trying to connect it. It did it again, this time it hit me straight in the eye. God knows how it didnt burst it. :scare: I thought I had gone blind, my eye was all blurry and wouldnt stop watering for about 2 hours. Eye felt really bruised, but after about 3 hours my eye sight was back to normal.

But I think we all do silly stuff like that. Think next worse thing I did was get a mouth full of diesel whilst syphoning it out of a car. I dont mind a mouth full of petrol, but diesel.... jesus... nothing would get rid of the taste for about a week. Hot vindaloo, mouth wash, whiskey... nothing... all I could taste was diesel for 7 days. :(

In A+E today, they had a funky little tool, burns a hole in finger nails to squeeze the blood out trapped underneath to reduce the swelling...massive pain relief!!!

Yeah, I trapped my thumb some years ago in work, absolute agony, nail completely black. Took a trip down to the medical centre in work and the nurse drilled a hole in the nail the using a needle. She simply rotated the needle back and forth until the blood came out, easy peasy. I've used the same technique several times since then on blood blisters underneath the nail. :)

Pete

Yeah, I trapped my thumb some years ago in work, absolute agony, nail completely black. Took a trip down to the medical centre in work and the nurse drilled a hole in the nail the using a needle. She simply rotated the needle back and forth until the blood came out, easy peasy. I've used the same technique several times since then on blood blisters underneath the nail. :)

Pete

Yep both of these work great, i've also used an unfolded paperclip heated on the gas. Or rambo style as i like to call it :thumbs: