Taking it sideways!!

_BR1TT0N_

Driftone is another web site .

If you want to make your car better for drifting

The Easiest way then is to

1- upgrade brakes

2- add hydraulic hand brake

3- remove as much weight as you can from the back of the car or better still completely strip the interior out

+1

also get a standalone traction control/abs system

also a more powerful engine will help, so tt or supercharge will make it a lot easier.

Cheers guys, loads more good info now, should I switch my abs off when drifting?if so, how?

you cant without pulling plugs out in the engine bay. Beware as when you lock up you will not be forgiven. Its the vdc you want to turn off not the abs. When turning the vdc off it also turns off your abs.. Be careful

Docwra can let you know how to turn it off, he drifts also :thumbs:

All you will need to know if you want to do it on public roads... Just find your closest place on the A-Z

http://www.justice.gov.uk/global/contac ... on-finder/

/Sarcasm

Being serious though, there's loads of places you can go to learn to drift these days as it has become so popular. It's an expensive hobby as you will eat tyres and probably have to change the back ones to drive home afterwards legally.

Ok sounds scary tho!! I will find out what I need to do, it seems that when I spin out, thats where the issue comes when I am rolling towards something and the brake peddle wont work as brakes gettin confused.

Do you have even the remotest clue as to how brakes or ABS actually work??!!

1- upgrade brakes

3- remove as much weight as you can from the back of the car or better still completely strip the interior out

Errr, not really. Brakes arent really important in drifting, we dont advise handbrake use for a learner and the car is fine as it is. A 350Z is a very capable driftcar straight out of the box :)

Standalone TCS or ABS is seriously bad advice Im afraid, you dont want any TCS or ABS at all (ABS doesnt work going backwards ;)) ....... and in fact where can you buy standalone ABS? :bangin:

Best bet is to go to http://www.driftworks.com/forum and check out the DWYB days at Santa Pod - they are easily the best place to learn, big spaces, nothing to hit and people on hand to advise you. Street drifting is bad, but thats not to say it doesnt happen ........ but generally you want a fair idea of what you are doing before you even consider doing anything on "closed or private roads" ;)

Be aware that whilst Ekona is dead right, it wont kill the car (unless you hit something) it will wear tyres and clutches, it will put strain on the engine, it will make the car run hot and it will exacerbate any problems you already have. That said, its about as much fun as you can have in a car and if you are in the right environment there isnt really any risk :)

Be aware that whilst Ekona is dead right, it wont kill the car (unless you hit something) it will wear tyres and clutches, it will put strain on the engine, it will make the car run hot and it will exacerbate any problems you already have. That said, its about as much fun as you can have in a car and if you are in the right environment there isnt really any risk :)

Sounds like the biggest risk at the moment is being hit by a stray shopping trolly or VTR Saxo coming the other way having just exited the Maccies drivethrough :lol:

Sounds like the biggest risk at the moment is being hit by a stray shopping trolly or VTR Saxo coming the other way having just exited the Maccies drivethrough :lol:

Reminds me of another street drifting saying amongst drifters ....... its like w@anking, we all do it but you dont invite 50 chavs to come and film you when you are at it :D

Reminds me of another street drifting saying amongst drifters ....... its like w@anking, we all do it but you dont invite 50 chavs to come and film you when you are at it :D

:lol: class!

1- upgrade brakes

Errr, not really. Brakes arent really important in drifting, we dont advise handbrake use for a learner and the car is fine as it is. A 350Z is a very capable driftcar straight out of the box :)

Standalone TCS or ABS is seriously bad advice Im afraid, you dont want any TCS or ABS at all (ABS doesnt work going backwards ;)) ....... and in fact where can you buy standalone ABS? :bangin:

Best bet is to go to http://www.driftworks.com/forum and check out the DWYB days at Santa Pod - they are easily the best place to learn, big spaces, nothing to hit and people on hand to advise you. Street drifting is bad, but thats not to say it doesnt happen ........ but generally you want a fair idea of what you are doing before you even consider doing anything on "closed or private roads" ;)

Errr... Right here mate! :wave:http://www.apexspeedtech.com/services.html

Blimey, never knew that existed :thumbs:

Bit high end for your average drifter TBH, remember when we were doing the donut world record and the safety guys said "anyone with airbags needs to switch them off". Looked round, 31 cars, not a single airbag between them :D

I should also add a couple of points - any land you can get on (and arent bolting a gate behind you) counts as public highway and you will be banned if caught, a mate of mine got 18 months ban for 2 minutes of skidding about in a Tescos carpark. If you are caught on the road, punishments vary from a light ticking off to a ban, word is police are getting harsher on it as more people take to the streets though.

Carlimit, which was mentioned earlier I dont believe is a drifting experience, they will probably teach you how to get out of trouble rather than into it - the best "experiences" I know are driftracing, drifttutor and Driftone (oop north), all three are run by guys that know what they are doing ........ the drifttutor line up is as good as any Ive seen actually, impressed with that :)

Finally, it seems the perception in here is one of chavs standing round in a Maccy D's carpark watching an old 3 series do donuts ........ this is a lot more like what youll find the real deal up to, I was driving the day this was filmed, watch from 1:25:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIb1l23zl84

I'd suggest going to a Drift What Ya Brung day at Santa Pod - costs you £60 and you can do as much as you want, in acres of tarmac so not going to hit anything

Once you've got a bit of experience they have some great tracks to drift round

Plenty of people there to give advice if you need it

My Two-pennorth:

1) Turn off the TCS (simple one button)

2) Put more air pressure in the tyres - probably 60psi so they're not trying to give you grip

3) In a 350 you don't need to hammer your clutch to get the wheels to break & spin - all that does is knacker your clutch. You'll find you've got all the grunt you need just by giving her some beanz (You only need to dip the clutch if you're marginal on the power like in an MX5 or something)

4) Keep an eye on your tyres - check them every so often so you don't take them too low & they burst - if a tyre goes you get the ruins flapping round which will do in your wheel arches and very possibly your bodywork as well

5) Even with 3) above you're loading the clutch more than is normal so it will wear much faster - so be prepared to replace it frequently

6) You're pushing the engine pretty hard too, and you may not be going at particularly high speeds so watch out for overheating - I'd suggest you need to give her a good checkover (oil / water etc) before you start and also after you finish, especially if you have to drive her home (unless you're taking her there on a trailer) and you'll need a set of street legal tyres if you're driving home. Don't push it on the way home as most of the tyre refitters at Santa Pod don't have balancing and unbalanced tyres can be pretty hairy over 50mph!

Have fun - good luck - get someone to take some pics / video and post it so we can see -

And just in finishing - I agree completely at not doing this anywhere you could hit anybody, but I also think part of the attraction of having a great machine like the Z is the fun of driving and 'pushing the envelope'. It's like spirited driving - you're an idiot if you do it on the roads, but that's what track days are for. And just one final - is there anybody on here who hasn't looked at the virgin snow in a car park and thought "Oooh that's too good to miss" and put the handbrake on or given her a squeeze to spin the wheels? If you really look at a carpark of snow and think "I need to report this to the Health and Safety Executive" - well, I feel very sad for you.

(Life is for living. This is not a drill. You only get one go. When you get off the rollercoaster and they say "Did you enjoy that" you say "That was great!"

When I get to the pearly gates and St Peter says "Did you enjoy that ?" I hope I'll be able to say EXACTLY - "That was great!" )

I'm new here so will read up a bit on the negative comments to a bit of drifting on the road, can't really see the problem on a deserted industrial estate but then I learnt to stunt ride a motorbike on them so my view is biased, I assume those that are most vocal against it also don't ever speed and don't ever push hard in corners close to the cars or more likely their own limit as that is just as easy a way to lose control, I assume they have bought a sports car to use on the track only, I dunno ;)

I'm new here so will read up a bit on the negative comments to a bit of drifting on the road, can't really see the problem on a deserted industrial estate but then I learnt to stunt ride a motorbike on them so my view is biased, I assume those that are most vocal against it also don't ever speed and don't ever push hard in corners close to the cars or more likely their own limit as that is just as easy a way to lose control, I assume they have bought a sports car to use on the track only, I dunno ;)

:welcome: