Suarez & Evra

spursmaddave

Because he did it in reaction to Suarez not shaking Evra's hand :shrug:

Which I think is spot on.

What we don't know, is if Ferdinand would have done that if Evra and Suarez had shaken hands - common sense would say he would have shook his hand as it would have looked bad on him if Evra could get over it and shake Suarez's hand but Ferdinand who hadn't been a part of it all hadn't.

But hey who said there was common sense in football nowadays?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nowadays when you see players diving, cheating and generally falling over the offending player just carries on and accepts the decision - they know the game has been changed to suit cheaters.

Money has ruined English football and there is no way back unfortunately, I find the words 'premier league' filthy and full of corruption. I watched the African Nations cup final last night, it finished 0-0 after two hours play and it was fantastic to watch. Physical game, played with passion I have not seen in the PL for some time. Stunning game. How it used to be.

The Premier League is nowhere near as bad as Spain or Italy for diving, and as for South America ....... youd think they were only allowed to field epileptics :D Its actually the same for racism as well, we have next to nothing when compared with Spain, for instance, just the press have latched onto it and are blowing it out of proportion.

As for "ruining" English football, its generally accepted that the PL is the best in the world, with the best players playing the best football to watch. Im old enough to remember the period after Heysel when we got banned from Europe, and the standard we see week in, week out now is like a different game. Money has come into football, but its come into football globally, not just the PL.

See I wouldnt agree at all mate :lol:

Italy is a fierce league, the defenders are world renowned for putting it about. Its generally accepted though that foreign players brought the play acting to british shores, but british players play act as much as the next man nowadays - the only reason we have so many foreigners in the PL is because they can earn twice as much as playing elsewhere.

The media will have you believe the PL is the best league in the world, not sure on what basis though. More likely they are going to say that because they represent the PL, they are hardly going to say it might be the best league in the world but Spain is better, its just that we all fell for it when Sky was empire building.

Cant imagine how it can declare itself the best league in the world when most of the very best players in the world dont play in it :shrug: I dont see anyone of the caliber of Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar in fact most of the Brazlian team etc etc. Look at the list of world player of the year awards, Ronaldo at Man Utd features once as a winner and Dennis Bergkamp and Thierry Henry both came runners up but over the last 20 years the very best players generally, are outside the premier league.

I think we confuse paying players ridiculous amounts in salaries and paying double what a players worth as for making a top league vs just how good players really are.

I think the Premier League is the best league as a competition. It's much more competitive than other countries where teams such as Barce, Madrid, Bayern Munich, Dortmund, Inter, AC milan win almost every single week at a canter.

Ronaldo scored his sixth hatrick of the season last night. Yes him and Messi are great players, but most of the opposition are very poor once you look past Barce, Madrid, Valencia & Sevilla.

Unfortunately, however, the top european teams have an allure that no English team can offer. Madrid & Barce can offer at least as much money as our teams, the lifestyle, the climate plus they have the history. No Brazilian grows up wanting to play for Man utd or Chelsea etc when they have grown up watching Romario, Ronaldo & Rivaldo et al scoring for Barcelona.

The day that players like Iniesta & Xavi want to leave Madrid & Barcelona for the premier league, is the day that we can say we truely have the best league in the world. At the moment the only way of geting them here is for teams like Man City to pay them £250k a week.........

Good points, although who has won the PL since its inception apart from Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea (yes there has been Blackburn as a one off). Even Chelsea and City wouldnt have gotten near it without ridiculous amounts of spending.

My big fear is the gulf that exists and widens each season between the PL and the Championship. As rightly pointed out only a few teams in Spain have serious spending power, but the TV money thrown at the PL makes it even harder for smaller clubs to progress vs say La Liga where bottom half top tier teams probably have similar spending power as top half second tier teams.

I suppose it was inevitable that money would find its way to a national sport, although there is no denying it has taken the magic away from the sport :thumbdown: Like I said earlier, that African nations cup final, was the first decent match I have watched in an age, and I bet none of those players would give a jot about pay or appearance bonuses on the night.

Good points, although who has won the PL since its inception apart from Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea (yes there has been Blackburn as a one off). Even Chelsea and City wouldnt have gotten near it without ridiculous amounts of spending.

My big fear is the gulf that exists and widens each season between the PL and the Championship. As rightly pointed out only a few teams in Spain have serious spending power, but the TV money thrown at the PL makes it even harder for smaller clubs to progress vs say La Liga where bottom half top tier teams probably have similar spending power as top half second tier teams.

I suppose it was inevitable that money would find its way to a national sport, although there is no denying it has taken the magic away from the sport :thumbdown: Like I said earlier, that African nations cup final, was the first decent match I have watched in an age, and I bet none of those players would give a jot about pay or appearance bonuses on the night.

I think you'll find that the TV money in England is divided equally amount each of the Premier League teams. Unlike in Spain where Barce & Madrid negotiate their own deals, meaning that these two teams account for the vast majority of TV money in spain, thus widening the gap further.

In England the Premier League is the place to be, nobody wants to watch Championship football, therefore it doesn't attract the same level of investment, naturally. I would say that if anything, clubs are becoming wise to the money issue and concentrating on developing younger players from the lower leagues and also the brand of football they play, look at Norwich & Swansea this season. A few years ago, teams like Bradford were paying Collymore and Benito Carbone £40k a week on 4 year deals, in an attempt to stay in the premier league, and look whats happened to them. Most of the teams who come up now are all sustainable such as Wolves, Stoke and West brom. Also, the parachute payments that teams recieve when they are relegated, is not replicated anywhere else in the world. So, from what i can see, if anything the gap between the Championship and the Premier League is probably closing, illustrated by the fact that more and more newly promoted teams are surviving their first seasons in the PL.

But thats my point, teams in the lower parts of the PL are further away from the Championship teams financially.

Developing youth players is very much a debatable point now that the EPPP was 'bullied' through the system. In that the Premier League continues to fund lower league clubs to the tune of circa £5m a year (a drop in the ocean for the PL, an aid to survival for others) as long as the Premier League teams can buy the youth players at significantly reduced rates. The time of multi million pound transfers for youth players from teams outside the PL is over, instead the PL teams can cherry pick who they like for minimal outlay with little risk if the player doesnt develop, they can just drop them out the squad without too much concern to money lost.

The cost of maintaining the youth setups at many clubs is now unsustainable and has cut off traditionally a valuable source of income to lower league clubs. As a nation we have become obsessed with the Premier League thanks to Sky, if you go to other countries they show plenty of other country's football, here though we barely get a sniff of it.

The day that players like Iniesta & Xavi want to leave Madrid & Barcelona for the premier league, is the day that we can say we truely have the best league in the world. At the moment the only way of geting them here is for teams like Man City to pay them £250k a week.........

Hmmm, Xavi is on 7.5m a year and I bet Iniesta isnt far behind, and knowing Spain I bet they dont get taxed 40% on it ;)

Hmmm, Xavi is on 7.5m a year and I bet Iniesta isnt far behind, and knowing Spain I bet they dont get taxed 40% on it ;)

£7.5m a year is still 'only' £144k a week :lol:

I dont see anyone of the caliber of Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar in fact most of the Brazlian team etc etc. Look at the list of world player of the year awards, Ronaldo at Man Utd features once as a winner and Dennis Bergkamp and Thierry Henry both came runners up but over the last 20 years the very best players generally, are outside the premier league.

That's absolutely true, the very best players at the peak of their careers have never played here, but there's huge strength in depth, always has been. One of the problems with attracting the very best players here is the climate, I remember seeing pictures of Ronaldinho's villa in Spain and thinking there's no way he's going to come here :)

Pete

I dont see anyone of the caliber of Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar in fact most of the Brazlian team etc etc. Look at the list of world player of the year awards, Ronaldo at Man Utd features once as a winner and Dennis Bergkamp and Thierry Henry both came runners up but over the last 20 years the very best players generally, are outside the premier league.

That's absolutely true, the very best players at the peak of their careers have never played here, but there's huge strength in depth, always has been. One of the problems with attracting the very best players here is the climate, I remember seeing pictures of Ronaldinho's villa in Spain and thinking there's no way he's going to come here :)

Pete

main69.jpg

or

coronation_street_rovers_return_inn.jpg

I know which one I would prefer given the choice :lol::lol::lol: