• Under 20
    • 20-24
    • 25-29
    • 30-34
    • 35-39
    • 40-49
    • 50-59
    • 60+

Also I think Wes inadvertently makes a good point - Zed, 911, Cayman.

Only 1 of those cars which have just been spoken about in the same breath are affordable to the majority of sub 25 year olds.

The Zed is as close to those kind of cars as your going to get at that age and its tantalizingly cheap by comparison to own (that is of course until you actually start paying for it and all the figures you worked out turn to crap).

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put down 20-24 as I'm 20 now, but I technically got my Zed at 19.

I only bought the Zed when I knew I could properly afford it (including everything, and when my older family members were sure I was mature and sensible enough to drive it.

I bought it because it was the perfect blend of looks, performance, exclusivity, condition, costs and reliability. None of the other cars in my price bracket ticked all the boxes so easily. (Could never afford to run a Merc CL600, M3s didn't get the best record of reliability and common as muck, Boxsters cost too much and were older with more miles...etc).

Yes it is a status symbol for a young man and people notice me in it, but isn't that partly why some of us spend whole weekends polishing our cars? So people notice and give nice comments? Not every young man with a nice car rides along with his bass blaring out with neon lights under the car and his arm in a ridiculous position over the top of the steering wheel trying to look like a 'G'. Makes me sad that it ALWAYS gets said when this topic comes up.

In my experience those losers aren't drawn to Zeds. SOME see it as a Need for Speed/Fast and Furious type car, but most of them prefer Supras, BMWs and Evos and Golfs and stuff (all scraping the ground, with too many spoilers and stupid coloured lights everywhere) and generally would rather replicate that look with their 106s and Corsas.

The Zed is usually held amongst a higher class of competition, like the Cayman, Z4, TT. These are not generally gangster chav cars, and that's what appealed to me about the Zed. People see it as a more mature sportscar, and (hopefully) see me as a more mature person because of it. Rather than seeing me as a complete t**t in some souped up old monstrosity :)

don't forget the zed is one of the poster girls for the play station generation, lots of kids have grown up seeing the zed in granturisimo, forza, need for speed etc. and all the fast and furious movies. its a young generation icon.

I bought mine because of this video (And because I couldn't afford to buy or insure a R34 at the time)

Quite a few friends have Evo's so wanted to kick their ass in a Z :blush:

Not every young man with a nice car rides along with his bass blaring out with neon lights under the car and his arm in a ridiculous position over the top of the steering wheel trying to look like a 'G'. Makes me sad that it ALWAYS gets said when this topic comes up.

Where did anyone say that? :shrug:

Nowhere, yet. Sometimes its just the vibe I get that people think. I'm a paranoid person. :)

Personally by my reckoning if you've bothered to come on here and bothered to hang around more than;

post 1 - hi I'm new

post 2 - heres a pic of my new cat C car I bought for 5k.

post 3 - my gearbox has broken.

post 4 - HOW MUCH IS VPOWER!!!!!!!

post 5 - For sale - Immaculate Zed. My Pride and joy for the last 13 weeks. Much loved and cherished with a brand new (reconditioned) gearbox.

Then you generally don't fit into the 'young chav' category :lol:

the car was eventually sold a couple of years later for £350.00 to provide the deposit on our first house ... happy days

£350 for a house deposit , i was born in the wrong era

Not every young man with a nice car rides along with his bass blaring out with neon lights under the car and his arm in a ridiculous position over the top of the steering wheel trying to look like a 'G'. Makes me sad that it ALWAYS gets said when this topic comes up.

:blush: All im missing is the neon lights , Only sometimes though. honest :lol:

sorry waltz if you thought thats the direction i was heading in.

i'm part of that playstation generation and i bought 1 ;)

and one of the first things i do when i buy a new car is go see if i can find it on something like forza, then mod it to the same spec as mine, then race it round the tracks :teeth:

23 here, 24 at the end of this month. Not sure what I want to do with my Zed at the moment though. I'm getting a little bored of it (don't hurt me). I don't know if that is because I just don't get to drive it for dun as much as I did before or if it is because I just shelled out £460 to tax it for a year and I'm feeling a little bitter...

I want a fun car for a few years, but the car I want is far from practical and would probably be unbearable to live with. Link to what I want below...

Classic from the outside, insane on the inside.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3225678.htm

23 here, 24 at the end of this month. Not sure what I want to do with my Zed at the moment though. I'm getting a little bored of it (don't hurt me). I don't know if that is because I just don't get to drive it for dun as much as I did before or if it is because I just shelled out £460 to tax it for a year and I'm feeling a little bitter...

I want a fun car for a few years, but the car I want is far from practical and would probably be unbearable to live with. Link to what I want below...

i love the fact that it has a built in walkie talkie system, that just goes to tell you that must be insanely loud inside.....and frickin awesome. :teeth:

I love the fact that it has a built in walkie talkie system, that just goes to tell you that must be insanely loud inside.....and frickin awesome. :teeth:

:lol: It does look like fun. I love how it looks classic on the outside and people would never really glance twice at it other than the fact it is mint looking. Why wouldn't I get that specific one? I don't see any heaters and it is 1degree outside at the moment :cold::cold::cold:.

The company selling that is JDT - they're about 2 miles from me, and i've bought 3 cars from them previously. B)

Without trying to be crass, i think it'd be really interesting to see an age vs salary comparison too. :shrug:

that only works if you also add in the variable for those who paid in full and those who have it on finance.

i bought mine 4 years ago when they were expensive to buy, and paid cash outright and was 26

for what i paid then i could buy 3 zeds for the same money.

there are still people on here who bought them new who piad twice what i did; the demographics have changed dramatically i think from a while ago.