HOW MUCH?

ds2000

Got to laugh at this, my brother just took my car to a tyre place next to Cavasham bridge in Reading (for those that know it?) to get my front two tyres changed...... they wanted £60 :rant::rant::angry::boxing::lol::lol::lol:

Needless to say he said there was a little bit less rubber on the rears the speed he got out of there!

I think he means they wanted 60 quid just for the job. IE 60 quid PLUS the cost of the tyres.

I'd expect to pay 20 a corner for fitting and balancing of tyres to alloys and on to car from an average place. I pay 10-15 but I know the owner of a shop for 15 years :)

^^ Really?? Previously at home in Mid Wales I'd been paying £5 a corner! Its not a hard or time consuming task. I think this price was some main 'chain' place. My brother said the guy pulled his calculator out and stood there for 2 mins probably 'x2' the price with every click :) - I should also point out that I'll be getting my wheels refurbed in the next few months so at the minute a crow bar and hammer wouldn't bother me ;)

Indeed, I've provided my own tyres :)

Brother has found another place now £15 a corner. I'm home at the weekend so might just wait and take it to my olde haunt. I think my brother is just enjoying driving the Z around tbh!

Don't get me wrong, I don't pay anywhere near that price myself as I've got a good relationship with my local tyre place, but for the right service I'd be prepared to pay that.

Given that it's at least a 30 min job to do it properly and with care, and the money you have to make when people aren't coming in wanting tyres changed, you're looking at an hourly rate of the £60 I guess which isn't unreasonable.

Sounds cheap to me, I have just paid £210 for two motor bike tyres!!

Last pair i bought for my R1 cost me 120quid! But that was like 2 years back.

Cost for fitting tyres also seems to have gone through the roof. I used to always buy my tyres online and have one of the local garages fit them - national tyres or kwik fit. Kwik fit used to charge me a fiver a wheel, and last time I had national tyres do them they cost me 7.50 a wheel fitted incl balancing & new valves.

But, when I got some new tyres for my zed a few weeks back I asked around a few local garages and I was quoted 20quid PER WHEEL to have tyres fitted. I guess its because they wont make money on selling you a tyre and want to discourage people from buying online.

Agree with the above, its also the recycling charge too - but if you're happy to take them to your local tip where disposal is free its no biggy.

No disrespect Dan but £60 an hour for fitting tyres? £60 an hour for a damn good mechanic I'd say.

Surely though it has to be something to do with the wheel also.

I was in a local tyre place getting my wheel torqued up and the guys had four Merc SLS wheels sat there they were putting top of the range rubber on. They were charging something like £350 to do it simply because of the risk to them of putting a mark on these super expensive and new alloys! They had three guys working on each wheel at a time and properly taking their time doing it. So fair play.

But £60 for two tyres on a set of Rays...hmmm

Each to their own, I just look at things from a different perspective is all. :)

Would I pay £60 to have a set of two tyres changes at a decent tyre fitters? Yes I would. Easy as that.

Put in perspective I pay £30 for a dentist who's spend 7 years in university and 20 years building up a practice to carefully drill out my tooth and apply amalgam to the cavity...............I deeply begrudge how much this costs me.

£30 for a tyre to be fitted??!?! I'd rather try and put it on my self using my pecker as a tyre iron.

Each to their own, I just look at things from a different perspective is all. :)

Would I pay £60 to have a set of two tyres changes at a decent tyre fitters? Yes I would. Easy as that.

Put in perspective I pay £30 for a dentist who's spend 7 years in university and 20 years building up a practice to carefully drill out my tooth and apply amalgam to the cavity...............I deeply begrudge how much this costs me.

£30 for a tyre to be fitted??!?! I'd rather try and put it on my self using my pecker as a tyre iron.

:lol:

+1 £30 a corner is TTP

LikeButton.gif

Count yourself lucky, that would cost you ~£80 down my way. Fortunately my work dental cover pays for any work I need doing :surrender: Then again, my dentist doesnt use amalgam, he uses some funky white resin. And he doesnt just drill out the tooth, he then cleans it out, primer/etches it and then bonds in the resin, and colour matches it to the tooth in question.

Count yourself lucky, that would cost you ~£80 down my way. Fortunately my work dental cover pays for any work I need doing :surrender: Then again, my dentist doesnt use amalgam, he uses some funky white resin. And he doesnt just drill out the tooth, he then cleans it out, primer/etches it and then bonds in the resin, and colour matches it to the tooth in question.

Thats called being a posh Southerner! Us Northern scum are lucky if we don't get stuck with a Mercury filling! :scare:

And dont forget that at most garages its the YTS kid who does the tyre fitting.

As for paying 30quid to have a tyre fitted, last year when I had my VW golf I went to a part worn tyre place in Coventry and had 2 brand new Goodyear tyres fitted for £15 each. That included the actual tyre as well!!!! They were brand spanking new, not a mark on them. They must have been the spare wheel out of a car or something as they were on crappy steel rims.

In the words of Guy Martin, "Shandy drinkin southern pufters" haha :lol:

I guess if you go to a garage where you pay a mechanics labour then fair enough. The place i ggot above price was a spot called "Budget tyres and exhausts". they're good at what they do though and top bants aswell :thumbs:

I'm with Dan here. I'd happily pay more to have the job done right.

I was about £15 or £20 a corner to get my 20s done but there were 2 - 3 of them there the whole time to ensure no damage was done!

I would imagine the insurance is silly for these guys.

My Dad was telling me his company just needed to go to £20 million liability for the work they do offshore and he said the premium nearly reduced him to tears!