*scared to ask* Tyres - have I got it right

ds2000

Hello all,

After a whole world of searching and reading countless threads with some angry people in I've come down to 2x tyres:

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, &

Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta

My fronts are low / almost slaphead and really need to be sorted in the next week.

My only criteria is the good grip and well lasting. For these reasons it seems long term the PS2's are the best shout. Anyone got any other brands that they've tried that match my criteria? When I say well lasting I'm thinking 15k - my car is a bit of a princess on the road but I intend tracking her next year and will get a set of different wheels then :)

You did all the reading of threads, and still posted in the wrong section ;):lol:

Both choices you have there are good.

I swear by Vredesteins. And have done on 4 different cars, over the past 8 years.

lol doh! I was using the advanced search and didn't check the areas - when I saw an oil question in what I thought was general so I thought this'll do but its actually technical (sorry mods) :dummy:

Can I ask how they are wearing? Reading some of the reviews people have said 10k max - I know geometry comes into alot of tyre wear and can massively affect it.

Thanks folks, some of the other threads were a bit conflicting and given my terrible banter I couldn't decide if some of the rants were in jest or not :lol:

I'll have a price up them all and see where I come to. 14k should last me 2/3 years in the zed, possibly even longer, only done 900 miles since October in her.

I got 14k outta the fronts, and 11k outta the rears on the Zed.

That included a couple of track sessions.

:scare: I killed ps2's off in 3k (about 200miles on track)

Ps2's are gone now, are they not, and replaced with super sports which are mega bucks?

Ps2's are amazing in all weather conditions though.

I'm seriously thinking about sessanta's for the 19's(road use) are they really that good? I don't think falkens would last long with my driving Tbh.

My car has done 50 k miles and I have never worn a set of tyres out. :)

Clearly not making the most of the Zed then :shrug:

I have the 452's they've been on for 10k+ fronts are wearing more on the inside due to lowering, but rears still have another 3-4k in them.

My only gripe about the 452's is they warm up very quick on track and the sidewall becomes a little soft, compromising corners and creating undue slip.

A superb street tyre but for me not fully cut out for track use in my opinion. :dry:

452s do not have good grip, they have average grip at best. Feel is also limited due to the sloppy sidewalls. They are the budget tyre for the Zed, and a good choice only if you cannot afford a performance tyre.

Vredesteins have better grip, but where they excel is feel and this makes pushing on a pleasure. I love these on a Zed, especially in the winter.

PS2s have incredible grip and feel but are being phased out in place of the Pilot Super Sport. These are longer lasting than the PS2 and have better wet AND dry grip, so in short if you were considering the PS2s then the PSS really should be the only ones you should go for. Utterly, utterly wonderful tyres.

RE050As are also pretty good (better grip than the VUS but not as good as the Michelin) but considering how close they are to the PSS in cost, I'd spend the little bit extra and get the Michelins.

Wear rate, on any tyre, is mainly down to right foot weight. As Neil says, even the best can be killed off quickly if given a hard time.

:#1: PSS, if you have deep pockets. I would find the money and they would be my choice for the 370 but Michelin do not make a 40 profile 245 for the fronts :shrug: )

:#2: VUS/050A's Work well on the ZEDS - IMO the VUS will give more of these :D when you like to play and are not so prone to tramlining :thumbs:

:#3: 452's are fine for normal road use and IMO give good grip wet and dry and offer good value for money. If ZMANALEX finds them fine to use on his 600bhp roadster on track in wet conditions that says a lot for their grip abilities. ;)

Yes there are others but having lost count of the number of posts I have read about tyres on here but from what I have experienced myself and learnt from those far more in the know than me, is my reason for the choices above.

:#3: 452's are fine for normal road use and IMO give good grip wet and dry and offer good value for money. If ZMANALEX finds them fine to use on his 600bhp roadster on track in wet conditions that says a lot for their grip abilities. ;) .

He uses t1r's I'm sure? unless he has changed :lol:

both t1r's and 452's are in my preferred list!

I had t1rs and they were great but with the current prices etc there are now much more contenders in the tyre game.

Bought a set of r888's to try next year. I look forward to trying them out as always ran re040's on track and they were terrible unless warmed up.

Thanks for all the replies. The PSS sound most favourable here - I have to ask though, are they overkill for what I need? My reason being that I want to track the car next year and will have a separate set of alloys with tyres, due to having done quite a few trackdays I really don't get all that excited on the road.

A see a few mentioning the Toyo T1-Rs, I had these on a few previous cars and was impressed with their wet/dry grip on the road. I did one trackday on them and swore never to again, the sidewalls were like jelly and after 4 laps of the old Anglesey I was pitting due to my tyres frustrating the life out of me.

if thats the case,

then i'd get a set of Falken 452's for the road going wheels, and a set of toyo 888's or bridgestone re040's for the track day wheels

+1

40's are great track tyres as they wear so hard. Terrible in wet especially if you're too scared to drive fast in the rain to get them upto temp like moi :lol:

The one big thing with RE040's are they are progressive, so they aren't as grippy in the wet if not up to temp, but they do give lots of feedback and don't just snap on the corner sending you 180, you get a lot of feedback and feeling from them,

i didn't mind them as an OEM tyre on all my jap cars. as in the dry they are bloody excellent