Falken 452 cracking rumour?

ChrisB

I was sniffing around a small (and locally recommended) tyre fitting place today (my rears are shot) and asked for a quote for FK452s..

The response was 'ahh, these were a good 'budget tyre' but we've had quite a few problems with them - warranty issues - where cracking occurs"..

Popped my bubble. I told Mr Fitter that 452s were well thought of in this car club, and worked very well on the Z. Certainly first I'd heard of this (alleged) problem.

Anyone had any experience of a bad batch possibly going through? Or is this just a load of old flannel to get me to buy his preferred stock?

:shrug:

Agree with Dan. Most likely this place had a batch come through that was dodgy. If thats the case they should have contacted Falken and made them aware and also recalled them if it was that serious. It also depends how long the owners had the tyres on the car before they were cracked. If they'd been sat for years doing no miles then that may be normal and not dangerous.

FWIW, I had 2 sets covering ~50k miles between them and had no problems.

Good response chaps. Seems there aren't any generally experienced problems on here then.

We were actually at the tyre fitter to get my wife a set of winters for her civic. He advised 2 front el-cheapo incidentally.

Unfortunately I was extracted from the shop (by the wife) as a queue had formed while I was asking about Falkens, so didn't get to drill down into his reasons that far beyond the stated cases of replacement due to cracks under warranty blah blah - don't sell them here any more blah blah..

Looks more like a sad case of flannel than fact then, as cross verified by popular usage in this car club. :#3:

(My original post was purely to ask a question - obviously not spread a rumour - let it be written large that no faults were verified here and all original rumour came from the thieving gob of the tyre fitter :angry: )

As it happens, we left that place and ended up buying the civic a set of 4 Michelin Alpins from Costco (ouch - but they are lovely - if tyres can be regarded as lovely). :surrender:

I've currently got a set on my Zed at the moment and haven't a bad word to say about them!

They are far superior to the Bridgestone RE040's that I had replaced ... and after a year of use they have no signs of cracking whatsoever ...

I think the tyre guy is telling porkies ...

:wacko: