2 minutes silence

Husky

Our office was pretty quiet thankfully, makes me :( every year, we should never forget - I was reading about some poor mother that lost 5 sons in the war, simply heart breaking.

We don't realise how good we've got it really despite all our social issues.

Our office was pretty quiet thankfully, makes me :( every year, we should never forget - I was reading about some poor mother that lost 5 sons in the war, simply heart breaking.

We don't realise how good we've got it really despite all our social issues.

indeed, coming from an army family it means a lot to me

I'm not from an army family at all, my Dad at 80 would have been called up if he'd been a year older but has stories about being evacuated from Manchester and the bombings, things I certainly can't comprehend. I wish national service still existed as I would have happily gone in and it would sort so many of todays feral idiots out.

One of my best friends is currently in Afghan and we're all hoping he stays safe :)

Strange how Remembrance Day has grown so much. I recall the majority of the '70s and '80s where it was largely ignored and (I guess) less than 1 in 20 wore a poppy and it passed without remark, except for perhaps a half-hour programme from the Cenotaph.

Obviously the 2 Iraq wars and Afghan conflict have concentrated the mind but my father fought in the RAF in the Middle East and then on to the invasion of Italy and he never wore a poppy or went to any Remembrance event or even mentioned it.

Here's an entry from his diary, 31st December 1944.

"The Americans were having a party and invited me over after watch. Didn't really feel like it in the year that every single one of my oppos (friends) had been killed. Went to bed early"

No fuss. Old school.

I wonder how many of us actually care, or really put two minutes aside in silent remembrance? Or, in this plastic, X-factor age, are we just pretending?

My grandfather fought in WWII. He remained in the army for 25 years. He developed small arms, some of which are still used today in updated forms. He was also the small arms shooting champion in the British Army for quite a few years. He was an instructor at the small arms core school in Kent too.

When he died there were veterans that came to Aberdeen from Kent to pay their respects and they took great pride in showing me (and my cousins) some of Grandads achievements. He was such a modest man that he never really shared with us what he had achieved in his time.

Grandad also sold poppys for many years. If I didn't observe 2 minutes silence I wouldn't be honouring his memory, not to mention the memories of his friends and family that he stood beside and lost.

I have a huge respect for those that fight and have fought for our country. I've said it before that I consider myself very British when the armed forces are involved.

11/11 11:00 will always be recognised by me as a time to quietly reflect.

Here's an entry from his diary, 31st December 1944.

"The Americans were having a party and invited me over after watch. Didn't really feel like it in the year that every single one of my oppos (friends) had been killed. Went to bed early"

No fuss. Old school.

I wonder how many of us actually care, or really put two minutes aside in silent remembrance? Or, in this plastic, X-factor age, are we just pretending?

That's a nice quote from your dad's diary Captain :thumbs:

If people care, that's good, and they should. I doubt many people pretend, it's pretty lame if they do.

I work in Central London and our office all went out in the Square at 11 o'clock, there were a fair few out there paying their respects. It was humbling and a little eery, being so quiet.

My grandparents served in WW2, G'dad 1 was a seargeant working on the Lancs and G'ma was a WAAF. My other G'dad was Army. Two uncles were in the RAF, my cousin works on the Typhoons, and my brother-in-law was a Para so I guess we have plenty of forces service history. I wouldn't be able to handle the discipline :surrender:

I never forget. :poppy:

It means so much to me that we are here now as we are and not under the jurisdiction of an invader. My Grandad and his brother both fought in World War 1 and they would never ever talk about it. They lost so many comrades yet both returned physically unmarked, I have no idea however what they may have suffered emotionally. They were lucky to come home, others were not, and for that sacrifice to ensure OUR future we should all be very very grateful to every service man/woman and their families, for it is they that have paid the ultimate price.

Thank you.

Next year can we have a "Poppy" smiley just for Remembrance Week please?

I think it’s even more important to take part in such a small way (2 minutes of your life, come on!) to try and imagine the horrors of warfare, something hopefully, I will never have to experience first-hand. I am sometimes a little embarrassed to say that I am the first male in my family in 5 generations not to have joined the armed services.

However, I think that the whole thing has picked up a bit more momentum in recent years as most folks have an opinion on the recent conflicts politically.

After WW2 my understanding was that there was a massive feeling of relief, and people just wanted to put the war behind them, probably as it was something that HAD to be done. Whereas more recent conflicts have served a more political agenda which may or may not sit right with the public at large. For example, I have a personal objection to the on-going wars in the Middle East, morally and legally. As such my personal feelings are actually even more supportive as these guys a dying needlessly. As, it would seem, that whatever party is in power, the war still goes on. Evidently all I can do is show my support for their bravery.

Thanks Stew, I can't find one, maybe one of you more "interweb" savvy guys can find one for us? :surrender:

Next year can we have a "Poppy" smiley just for Remembrance Week please?

If you find one, post it up and I'm sure we can add it. :)

Last November I was posted at the MOD in london, and so took part in the ceremony at the cenotaph (the one actually on the 11th, not the one on the sunday with the Queen). I have to say I was very impressed by the reaction of the public, even those who were very obviously foreign tourists kept absolutely silent and respectful. This of course didn't extend to the group of people who felt that a memorial service was an appropriate place to demonstrate against conflict: I don't even have words to express how distasteful I find people like that, although I have to say it was gratifying to hear members of the public telling them to shut up and bugger off. I consider myself very fortunate that even though my career has been somewhat prematurely ended, I still had the chance to be in London in uniform for rememberance day at least once.

DB